Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Using the nunchuck to rip the shields off of space pirates with the grapple beam was very cool and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:wow:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 were the only games that actually utilized the wiimote correctly and the controls are awesome, you're doing yourself a disservice

no

re4 was unplayable until i found the "use a gamecube controller" option

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

no

re4 was unplayable until i found the "use a gamecube controller" option

"durr!! how do i point at things durr!!!" - you

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

romanowski posted:

durrr

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Drr... drr... drr..." - Me, thanks to my excellent new fitness program

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

romanowski posted:

You sure pwned that scrub something fierce

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Gimbal lock posted:

You sure pwned that scrub something fierce

He's right, though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lemming posted:

Using the nunchuck to rip the shields off of space pirates with the grapple beam was very cool and fun.

Even if it did work more than half the time, it just felt unnecessary. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 actually work better with the motion controls because they didn't have dumb poo poo like typing out codes or pulling pistons. I didn't like changing visors or beams though, or was there an option to tap + and - to cycle through them that I didn't know about?

Resident Evil 4 was great with motion controls too, and the only thing that I had to get used to was the run button on Z. One you know where it is, it isn't a problem, since you have it held down 99% of the time, only letting go to do a quick turn.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i hate early tech like touchscreens and motion controls

re:ds had a puzzle where you had to stab between all your fingers and if you missed and hit your hand you took significant damage, and if you didn't go fast enough you failed

at the same time the game lets you knife the Yawn to death

once it's matured some and people figure out wtf to do with it i like gimmicks

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Even if it did work more than half the time, it just felt unnecessary. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 actually work better with the motion controls because they didn't have dumb poo poo like typing out codes or pulling pistons. I didn't like changing visors or beams though, or was there an option to tap + and - to cycle through them that I didn't know about?

Resident Evil 4 was great with motion controls too, and the only thing that I had to get used to was the run button on Z. One you know where it is, it isn't a problem, since you have it held down 99% of the time, only letting go to do a quick turn.

I liked the dumb poo poo because it was infrequent and neat. Sort of like a toy, you use it just enough so you can say "oh that's neat" and move on. I agree that it was mostly unnecessary. Except sitting in the ship, that part was cool. Being able to press buttons and see that you have legs is neat.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Lemming posted:

I liked the dumb poo poo because it was infrequent and neat. Sort of like a toy, you use it just enough so you can say "oh that's neat" and move on. I agree that it was mostly unnecessary. Except sitting in the ship, that part was cool. Being able to press buttons and see that you have legs is neat.

Yeah, I think that MP3 gets lumped in with a bunch of other games that misuse the motion control gimmicks, because they really come few and far between for Metroid. I was personally a big fan of the welding thing, if only because one of my favorite parts of the Prime games is seeing all the convoluted ways Retro morphs the cannon arm.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the motion controls for the grapple beam are good when you're just swinging around on it, but i think that they used the "use the grapple beam to pull poo poo off" mechanic a little too much for my liking. it's especially annoying when you're using it in combat, and even more so in the last part of the final battle

that being said, Prime 3 is a better game than 2, imo

the "you really shouldn't trust strangers, Sammy" line is a dark horse candidate for the "cheesiest line ever spoken in a video game" award

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

the motion controls for the grapple beam are good when you're just swinging around on it, but i think that they used the "use the grapple beam to pull poo poo off" mechanic a little too much for my liking. it's especially annoying when you're using it in combat, and even more so in the last part of the final battle

It's especially bad when you consider that the motion sensor in the nunchuk is somehow even worse than the Wiimote's

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

that being said, Prime 3 is a better game than 2, imo

the "you really shouldn't trust strangers, Sammy" line is a dark horse candidate for the "cheesiest line ever spoken in a video game" award

metroid games shouldn't have lines period. just logs

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the nunchuk doesn't have a motion sensor, it has a momentum sensor. that's why it took me a while to get used to using the grapple beam

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

the nunchuk doesn't have a motion sensor, it has a momentum sensor. that's why it took me a while to get used to using the grapple beam

whats the diff?

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I finished Super Metroid for the first time a couple weeks ago.

It was pretty good.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

whats the diff?

it doesn't measure position or orientation, just changes in position, so you need to really exaggerate the movements you're making with it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

metroid games shouldn't have lines period. just logs

Mp3 was really jarring but it was still pretty good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lawman 0 posted:

Mp3 was really jarring but it was still pretty good.

given that Other M came out not too long afterward I almost wonder if Nintendo was coming down on them demanding more plot from Metroid games

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdNJIO6wmLw

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
all those "the babies" are from like only the first five minutes of gameplay lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

• Locked thread