Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This is most people's favorite Metroid. This one probably has the best world design out of all of them, but I'm a spoiled baby who started with the GBA ones so I can't handle pressing select four times just to get to my power bombs. Wasn't there a ROMHack that fixed that? I'd buy a Zero Mission-style remake of this game so hard.

This is my favorite Metroid. It's really cool. Everybody seems to like the part at the end where you get to be Samus outside of her suit but I hated that part. It doesn't really last that long so I can't be too upset about it though.

This was my first Metroid. I'm glad it was because if I played this after all the other ones I probably wouldn't have liked it much. Ice missles are dumb cause they actually make your missles weaker and it's not like you can switch them off, I hope they don't come back in any more games. The plot was dumb and bad but at least you could fast forward through most of it. Restricting unlocks to just straight-up "you can now go through this colored door" was dumb but it has some pretty cool puzzles to make up for it, especially the ones that required shinesparking.

This is my second-favorite Metroid. The first one is so great and full of cool stuff to explore. The second one has a dumb dual worlds thing going on and ammo for your beams which is even worse. The third one shoe-horns a plot and voice acting in and it's pretty bad. But they're all still based off of Metroid Prime, so they're still fun.

I didn't like this Metroid.

For some reason I really like the combat in the 2D Metroid games. I know it's really simplistic but it scratches some kind of itch. I'd be okay with a survival mode or something in one of them even though that would probably be terrible.

Post about Metroid here, it's a cool series.

p.s. get the gently caress out with your Castlevania poo poo.

EDIT: Also this was my 1337th post.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Metroid II: Return of Samus kept me entertained for a long time as a kid

Good thread, OP

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I maintain that Echoes is very underrated

I mean if you don't like backtracking why are you even playing a Metroid game?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I never played that, or the original Metroid for NES. I tried playing the original Metroid through the feature in Metroid Prime 1 that let you unlock it, but it was just really arcane and I couldn't figure it out. I'm glad Zero Mission exists for that reason.

The Sharmat posted:

It's not terrible but keeping track of beam ammo gave me a headache.

It has some really cool bosses.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'm playing through Metroid Prime for the first time and it's really good except the bosses have been pretty lovely so far and have too much health. Also I slogged through a submerged space pirate ship for 25 minutes and reached a point where I couldn't proceed and had to climb all the way back out which was not cool.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Metroid prime 2 is tedious cus of the ammo and backtracking and camping out in light zones

Metroid prime 3 is barely a metroid game

Metroid fusion owns and rules

Same for super and zero mission

Metroid prime is probably the best game

Other m is lol. THUMBS DOWN

The original isn't very fun anymore and same for the second game

Zero suit has practically ruined the character

I tend to play through at least one metroid game yearly. Usually super or fusion. I try the prime sequels again sometimes but just end up losing interest

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
if you have to obsessively camp out in light zones in Prime 2 by the time you've got the Dark Suit then you're bad at the game

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

metroid prime is prob my favorite because it explores a lot of things that you don't normally get into and makes metroid into more than just contra with puzzles

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Also the little descriptions of things in Metroid Prime 1 that you could read with the scan visor were cool and a little interesting, and sometimes pretty amusing. And if you thought it was tedious you could just not use it at all and skip it instead. It was awesome. This is the part in every Metroid thread where someone praises the log where Space Pirates try to copy the Morph Ball.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is this the thread for sexy Samus pics

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Science Team rules and Other M's worst crime is retconning them out of existence

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

what happens when samus goes into ball mode:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

mabels big day posted:

Is this the thread for sexy Samus pics

Can we get some IK input on this

Dec 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Science Team rules and Other M's worst crime is retconning them out of existence

its probably second to murdering the series in cold blood

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
without Science Team do we really want Metroid to live?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
oh cool a new Metroid thread, has it been a whole month already?

let's just get this out of the way now: less bitching about Other M, more science team, prime 2 owns, wiimote controls own, am2r would own but is never gonna happen, post samus pics

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i think that metroid 2 was a pritty good game boy game. i t had very wierd music though and in fact some places were the music just gave way entiredly to funny noises in the bactkground. bu t it had a godd sense of going gfurther and further into the unknown ironicaly because of linerar progression something theat metroid seriees is prised for not being linear.veven thoigh actually thats all justan aelaborate fabirication becaueuse more often than not metrord prime broings you rount a path that leads back to a door you coulend open before but now you gbot the porwer up to poen the door. i was scared or te dark caves belnearh the planet as a kid,on my game boy. thats quite ana chievement for a game on a smal handeheld that makes funy noises a lot i think

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
:worship: TUBES :worship:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

other m has the worst writing of any video game and thats saying a lot

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

I think the main problem with is that torvus bog is such an extreme slog that is even worse because the sanctuary area that comes after it is easily one of the best areas of the prime games.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

wait what

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
the funney thing is all the metroid pirime games has gret sweathes of he game was very borig and motononuous but you a lways forget about them and thin kt=its good later like how tyou fotget about all the boiring bits in godspeed you hblack emperor.but tgodsped you black emoperor is better than meotroid prime,

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
remember bhow in metrod prime 1 . there sthat pa`rt with the biggtree wher eveyry time yoy go in yow ge locke in with realy nanoying gohsts and thry teleport around.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

I'm not saying yes or no, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if it gets as retardeded as the last one did then someone gonna gas it. No one should have to be greeted by Samus' cameltoe again.

I figured it was a free for all after the ridley furry sex which I would have gassed if someone were ever retarded enough to give me that button and wanted to get everything in as fast as I could

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

I missed that, you gotta understand that if a thread has a few pages I sorta scan the first one then skip to the last

Liquid Penguins posted:

I want to spitroast samus with ridley so I can high five ridley over and over again

ridley is an aggro dude it's one of the few times he is down for skin slapping

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Was bomb jumping an intended mechanic at first or just a result of good game design?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Did this get moved out of Games by mistake?

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

metroid games are fun and good and I like them

I've played them all but my fave is zero mission, it got the controls perfect imo

also if posting awesome samus pics please be respectful to the spirit of the character and dont show anything sexually suggestive because nintendo would never ever do something like that

thank you!!!! :)

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Metroid Prime is my single favorite video game, and Super is way the hell up there too. I didn't touch Other M, but the hyperbole about the IRREPARABLE DAMAGE it did to the series is silly. If and when a new Metroid game comes out and is decent, Other M will become the joke it should be and not the horrible travesty nerds like to treat it as.

Also this is less embarrassing than the Zero Suit and I refuse to be convinced otherwise. You're playing as The Wrong Samus if you pick ZSS anyway though.

Olive Mohel fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 21, 2014

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
metrod 1 would be perfectly playable today if it had an in game map but it doesn't so its really stupid. sometimes fun to enter justin bailey and beat the game in 10 min tho

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

zen death robot posted:

No one should have to be greeted by Samus' cameltoe again.

Wisdom.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

even nintendo is starting to think that Other M was a bad idea- i think they officially designated it as a "spin-off" in a recent press release

anyway Metroid Prime is my favorite metroid, followed by Super Metroid and Zero Mission. the space pirate flavor text owns, especially the one where they try to reproduce morph ball tech

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

the space pirate flavor text owns, especially the one where they try to reproduce morph ball tech

that was pretty great

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

echoes is my favorite, beam ammo is extremely easy to manage and dark world stuff is only a problem in dark agon wastes which i agree is worse than it needs to be

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

MP3 had lots of neat switches and buttons and dials to press, and the cloud city was pretty neat, so it gets a pass from me even if its combat was rear end.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

zen death robot posted:

No the OP decided that a megathread opener was the way to go here

I wanted to talk about some games so I posted some images of the games and gave my opinions on them. Sorry if this offends you.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
i first played zero mission, super, and later 1 & 2. and a bit of prime 1 or 2 at my friends house who had a crazy big tv on one of his living room walls. whats the prime where you morph ball up these tunnels built in an L shape on some tower, i think its a plant boss or something????...

zero suit sucks and nintendo has been steadily shrinking samus. there's an old magazine scan or something that informs us that she's just under 300 lb and over six feet tall, which is probably more ripped than snake (im not looking that up lmao, you fool), but now she's a skinny waif just like the rest of the nintendo princesses, and comfortably nonthreatening placed next to him. its almost like the japanese are totally incapable on a professional level of allowing well-written female badasses into children's entertainment, when girls are most at need of role models operating on the same level as or above that of males. anyway thats it lates

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

is there a new metroid anywhere on the horizon

last I heard of a new one it was called dread or something like that

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Midboss posted:

Also this is less embarrassing than the Zero Suit and I refuse to be convinced otherwise. You're playing as The Wrong Samus if you pick ZSS anyway though.

I actually agree because even though it's technically more revealing it looks more like something someone would actually wear for non-fetishistic purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

metroid 1 is the best, 2 is kinda lame cuz its just a lot of rolling around on walls and ceilings forever, super metroid is cool but not as good as 1, the rest are baby games for idiots

• Locked thread