Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Traveller posted:

Is Jesus a cat or a dog person?

St. Christopher is the dog man, you heathen

edited for saintly icon of our dogg st. chris:

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The best furry game I ever played was TMNT & Other Strangeness, where we threw out the rules and just ran it with Wushu. One of my players rolled up a polar bear who wore Hawaiian shirts, smoked cigars, and wielded a gattling gun. Even for a one-shot, it was epic.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Mormon Star Wars posted:

"This Byzantine depiction of St. Christopher as dog-headed resulted from their misinterpretation of the Latin term Cananeus to read canineus, that is, "canine.""

This is wonderful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Nice gangtags plut, i didn't know you were mates with knuc

Only good poster to come out of YOSPOS.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hey now, tori's pretty good too

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Hey now, TINA TURNER's pretty good too

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not locked, I think people just got burnt out on it. I learned a bunch about D&D history and game design concepts after reading through all of it over the last 2 weeks. I've since grown a healthy disdain for "skills" when you already have attributes (at most, I would prefer a "background" for people to justify throwing in +1s and +2s per, 13A-style) and a healthy appreciation for how the temporal mechanics of old-school D&D interacted with everything else.

Wait wait wait. I thought "death to ability scores" was part of our D&DDogma. What is this "death to skills" heresy?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mormon Star Wars posted:

But Saint Guinefort was an actual dog.

Old Catholicism is whacky.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jimbozig posted:

Wait wait wait. I thought "death to ability scores" was part of our D&DDogma. What is this "death to skills" heresy?

Afaik, dtas is more accurately death to one or the other. Like Dungeon World and Apocalypse World both technically have ability scores, but they don't also try and force weird and arbitrary skill systems on you.

Pbta owns, gently caress all haters.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Tollymain posted:

random science fiction genre-related thought; could an artificial society designed by people well-informed by sociology and psychology be workable in the long-term?

If you're interested in this as a concept, you ought to read Cyteen. (It won the Hugo Award for best novel!)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you think about it, an "ability score" is just a collection of somewhat related skills. Strength, for instance, covers lifting with your legs and generating power from your hips.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Wait, I want to hear more about the dog saint.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

packetmantis posted:

Wait, I want to hear more about the dog saint.

Guinefort was a Knight's dog, and he left her guarding his baby while he went hunting because either that's how things were done at the time or he was a really bad parent. When he got home, the baby was nowhere to be found and Guinefort had blood on her face, so he chopped the dog's head off, as you do. Then he found the baby in a corner, alive and healthy, next to a mangled dead snake Guinefort had killed. So his family buried the dog (in a well?), raised a shrine to her, and Guinefort eventually became the saint of protecting babies or something like that.

Later on, some people got together and sacrificed babies to her for whatever loving reason things like that happen.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 30, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Guinefort was a French greyhound, and while locally declared a saint and martyr, was never recognized by the Church. Despite that, she retained devotees until the 1920s or so.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Guinefort was a Knight's dog, and he left her guarding his baby while he went hunting because either that's how things were done at the time or he was a really bad parent. When he got home, the baby was nowhere to be found and Guinefort had blood on her face, so he chopped the dog's head off, as you do. Then he found the baby in a corner, alive and healthy, next to a mangled dead snake Guinefort had killed. So his family buried the dog (in a well?), raised a shrine to her, and Guinefort eventually became the saint of protecting babies or something like that.

Later on, some people got together and sacrificed babies to her for whatever loving reason things like that happen.

Good dog.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I said I'd do this if Mors Rattus ever finished Xanth, and now here we are.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Technically, I didn't finish so much as just stop, of course.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh. Someone told me you were done, so I started writing.

Son of a bitch.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Man, I'm not gonna stop you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just post the part where the main character is slaughtering unarmed civilians and Terry still tries to frame him as the good guy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
But then we miss some of the ludicrous poo poo people forget about between that and the chicken. Next post already contains one of the most batshit strawmanny things in the entire series.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Really Pants posted:

Just post the part where the main character is slaughtering unarmed civilians and Terry still tries to frame him as the good guy.

You're going to need to be more specific than that.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Edit; I am an idiot

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 1, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Man, whenever people mention the Sword of Truth I always think of the other Young Adult Fantasy Series written by a guy named Terry with a Sword of Truth as one of the central plot elements. Since I never hear these books mentioned along with the likes of Xanth and other such novels, does that mean that my preferred generic TolkeinesqueJunior High fantasy wasn't mindbogglingly offensive and weird in retrospect, because I'm always afraid to look back and acknowledge that I was into some pretty hosed up poo poo.

Well, ignoring the fact that my other favorite author in junior high was Mercedes Lackey, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

October Thread is up, friends.

• Locked thread