Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Darius099 posted:

So I have an encounter for my fantasy game that I want to run, where a famous researcher bard is trying to reconstruct the true happenings of an ancient battle/siege. He has commissioned a powerful spell that will allow him to look through a specially prepared lens and see what the things/places on the other side looked like in the distant past. I wanted to set this up as a fun investigative scene and use props for it but I don't quite know if what I want exists.

I was thinking that I could draw or print something up on a big sheet of paper with some kind of ink or preparation that makes it invisible to the naked eye, and then create some kind of like round "lens" that has a type of filter of some kind that reveals the hidden ink/drawing when it's placed over top of it/looked through.

Kind of complicated for an encounter but I thought it could be neat if I could figure out how to do it. Does anyone have any ideas? I considered that whole lemon juice/invisible ink stuff but it doesnt work with a filter. I tried searching around and found a few things (some "cheat a poker!" stuff on ebay) but it didn't seem like it was real. I'd be fine with it being monochromatic since in my head that's how it feels like it would have to work. Anyone have any experience with stuff like this, or any ideas? I could easily have overlooked a more elegant/simpler solution.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Tech_Spec#Generation_1

The decoders are the first thing that came to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I'm just going to speak up in favor of "cardboard sheet with a hole cut into it".

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

RPZip posted:

I'm just going to speak up in favor of "cardboard sheet with a hole cut into it".

I was thinking the same thing. Just a sheet with a hole cut in it that you move over the map so it restricts you to seeing only a piece at a time.

Also keeps you from seeing the Jackson Pollock black light motif.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

LongDarkNight posted:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Tech_Spec#Generation_1

The decoders are the first thing that came to mind.

Yeah this is what I was thinking. With access to a color printer it wouldn't be hard to do. You print your image in blue, and then print a red grid over it. Looking through a red filter will reveal the blue image.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Is it coming after Exalted 3e or far west?

It's 95% completed. At worst, I figure I'm no more than a week to 10 days behind schedule. Expect it in a couple weeks, when I'm done adding some sexy ghosts.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012

Ettin posted:

It's 95% completed. At worst, I figure I'm no more than a week to 10 days behind schedule. Expect it in a couple weeks, when I'm done adding some sexy ghosts.

Its what I've always wanted out of a Fate game: spooky, sexy skeletons.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ettin posted:

Are they shirtless bishie ghosts? Does the ectoplasm make them sparkle?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

Hell yes, good to see you aren't backpedaling about sex ghost controversy like those pussies on Ex3.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Hell yes, good to see you aren't backpedaling about sex ghost controversy like those pussies on Ex3.

Theres a huge difference between sexy ghosts and rape "ravishing" ghosts

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

It'd be cool if you could, like, not try to get the thread locked again with pointlessly inflammatory bullshit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gazetteer posted:

It'd be cool if you could, like, not try to get the thread locked again with pointlessly inflammatory bullshit.

I don't think that the last or maybe even the rest of the chat thread lockdowns were my fault. That being said, you are the one being inflammatory here and I ask you to cease that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know, I think the non-ghost is a lot sexier

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

I don't think that the last or maybe even the rest of the chat thread lockdowns were my fault. That being said, you are the one being inflammatory here and I ask you to cease that.

I don't actually think that the last lockdown was your fault either. I can see how I might have been unclear there -- all I meant by "locked again" was that it had just literally been locked two days ago.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Darius099 posted:

So I have an encounter for my fantasy game that I want to run, where a famous researcher bard is trying to reconstruct the true happenings of an ancient battle/siege. He has commissioned a powerful spell that will allow him to look through a specially prepared lens and see what the things/places on the other side looked like in the distant past. I wanted to set this up as a fun investigative scene and use props for it but I don't quite know if what I want exists.

I was thinking that I could draw or print something up on a big sheet of paper with some kind of ink or preparation that makes it invisible to the naked eye, and then create some kind of like round "lens" that has a type of filter of some kind that reveals the hidden ink/drawing when it's placed over top of it/looked through.

Kind of complicated for an encounter but I thought it could be neat if I could figure out how to do it. Does anyone have any ideas? I considered that whole lemon juice/invisible ink stuff but it doesnt work with a filter. I tried searching around and found a few things (some "cheat a poker!" stuff on ebay) but it didn't seem like it was real. I'd be fine with it being monochromatic since in my head that's how it feels like it would have to work. Anyone have any experience with stuff like this, or any ideas? I could easily have overlooked a more elegant/simpler solution.
How abut a backlight under two layers of paper? Blank paper on top, details underneath, that way the bottom layer's details would come through when the light is under it?

RPZip posted:

Well. . yeah probably just this.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 28, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Don't make me start posting bishonen interventions again. I mean, I'm happy to do it, but I don't know if anybody else is.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Don't make me start posting bishonen interventions again. I mean, I'm happy to do it, but I don't know if anybody else is.

I am.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Davin Valkri posted:

I am always down for hot boys.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hypothetically speaking, for a friend, what kind of shitposting would make you intervene

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Davin Valkri posted:

This is inflammatory to me

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Zurui posted:

I am always down for hot boys.

Tollymain posted:

hypothetically speaking, for a friend, what kind of shitposting would make you intervene

Captain Foo posted:

This is inflammatory to me I love anime and endorse this idea!

Well, Davin, I guess you'll jut have to give the people what they want.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Looking forward to Ettin's Choice as he must decide between his inherent moe nature and the need to ban anime posting.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
random science fiction genre-related thought; could an artificial society designed by people well-informed by sociology and psychology be workable in the long-term?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tollymain posted:

could society be workable in the long-term?

There is no precedent for this I'm afraid.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
heh true

hey, i'm trying to find the january contest thread, because i might actually have the ability to finish judging the stuff now, even though nobody probably cares anymore; but i can't find it. help?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Tollymain posted:

random science fiction genre-related thought; could an artificial society designed by people well-informed by sociology and psychology be workable in the long-term?

What do you mean by artificial?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

DocBubonic posted:

I'm guessing either very carefully selected at the inception of the society, or populated by AIs, vat-grown humans, or something similar. No idea about the second. For the first you need only look at the Utopian community movement of the 19th century to see how well that works. There's a reason "utopia" as it is normally spelled is a pun on "good place" (which would be "Eutopia") and "no place".

And to counteract that seriousness, what sort of bishies do you all prefer? Still vaguely masculine or CLAMP-style full on makeup and noodle arms? :cheeky:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm guessing either very carefully selected at the inception of the society, or populated by AIs, vat-grown humans, or something similar. No idea about the second. For the first you need only look at the Utopian community movement of the 19th century to see how well that works. There's a reason "utopia" as it is normally spelled is a pun on "good place" (which would be "Eutopia") and "no place".

And to counteract that seriousness, what sort of bishies do you all prefer? Still vaguely masculine or CLAMP-style full on makeup and noodle arms? :cheeky:

CLAMP STYLE I WANT TO SEE CLAMP STYLE

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Why can't we have both?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just post some baras :sweden:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DocBubonic posted:

Basically I mean an intentional attempt to create a specifically defined society; the clones/AIs/carefully selected volunteers are optional, mainly the thought is "create a nondysfunctional society based on what we know of the sciences of psychology and sociology".

I'd include economics but that's not really a science :haw:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

Basically I mean an intentional attempt to create a specifically defined society; the clones/AIs/carefully selected volunteers are optional, mainly the thought is "create a nondysfunctional society based on what we know of the sciences of psychology and sociology".

I'd include economics but that's not really a science :haw:

If the story is for a USA audience it's really hard to not make it seem dystopian when your book has explicit themes about the use of psychology and sociology in a planned society.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I understand what you're trying to say but I'm not sure, please clarify :shobon:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tollymain posted:

just post some baras :sweden:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

I think I understand what you're trying to say but I'm not sure, please clarify :shobon:

have you read 1984 by george r r orwell op

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't know if i'd call that a nondysfunctional society :v

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

Just the cultural expectation of freedom = good, less freedom = worse, more freedom = better, psychologists = tricky little devils who will remove your free will with their jedi mind tricks.

It's all very silly and based on a juvenile understanding of freedom and psychology, but it'll be really hard to break people past that.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

Just the cultural expectation of freedom = good, less freedom = worse, more freedom = better, psychologists = tricky little devils who will remove your free will with their jedi mind tricks.

It's all very silly and based on a juvenile understanding of freedom and psychology, but it'll be really hard to break people past that.

Heh? I've never heard that sentiment outside of Scientology. Where's that from?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Well, there's Plato's Republic if you don't mind the basis of your society revolving around a lie and the fact that no science went into it, just an old Greek dude going "This seems plausible."

Davin Valkri posted:

If they're in the style of Free!, then go for it. :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Davin Valkri posted:

Heh? I've never heard that sentiment outside of Scientology. Where's that from?

Go ask your random American what they think about psychology/psychologists. You'll probably get a combo of freudian stereotypes, mindreaders, drug pushers, manipulators, and incompetent quacks. Bonus points if they've been to one and it didn't work for them that one time so it never works, except on all the other people in form of advertising because I'm smart and they're dumb :smuggo:

Oh my other favorite one is if you give them the psychological generalization of a study, they often go "but that doesn't apply to me!/my sister!/my dog! and is therefore wrong!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jon Joe posted:

Go ask your random American what they think about psychology/psychologists. You'll probably get a combo of freudian stereotypes, mindreaders, drug pushers, manipulators, and incompetent quacks. Bonus points if they've been to one and it didn't work for them that one time so it never works, except on all the other people in form of advertising because I'm smart and they're dumb :smuggo:

Oh my other favorite one is if you give them the psychological generalization of a study, they often go "but that doesn't apply to me!/my sister!/my dog! and is therefore wrong!!!"

How do you post on the internet from the middle of the last century? Americans, for a few decades now, are all too happy to eat up any sort of bullshit pop psychoanalysis that enters the public consciousness and are incredibly credulous when it comes to the curative powers of psychiatric medication. As a society, we are convinced a few sessions of therapy and the right prescription can solve any personal problems. The last American embarrassed by his trips to the therapist was Tony Soprano.

• Locked thread