Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

instead of actually telling me why I'm wrong,

fuckin lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvY3FyXR0U4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
eh

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Buck Turgidson posted:

First, I whip it out

this is one of my favorite moments in the genre and the final fight at the end where you just out muscle god is cool too

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIR6UKiRkKA

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Doctor Goat posted:

dmc3 has a hack that lets you play with the dmc4 style switching that also fixes most of the pc issues. it should be played.

Hey. What should I be looking for if I wanted to get this? I bought dmc 3 on Steam like a dumbass and can only find dead links to mods.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's not a Devil May Cry thread without a reminder on how awful gritty the story was in DmC!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oL29x7Reh8

Devil May Cry 4 has better bosses on average then 3 does. The Vergil fights are way better then anything in four though and the final boss in 3 is way better then 4's.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 9, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rudoku posted:

Hey. What should I be looking for if I wanted to get this? I bought dmc 3 on Steam like a dumbass and can only find dead links to mods.

Style Switcher, I found it on Nexusmods very quickly

Golden Goat posted:

It's not a Devil May Cry thread without a reminder on how awful gritty the story was in DmC!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oL29x7Reh8

Devil May Cry 4 has better bosses on average then 3 does. The Vergil fights are way better then anything in four though and the final boss in 3 is way better then 4's.

This is still beautiful. Honestly, I'd say I liked the Credo more than Vergil's boss, but unfortunately you can only fight him once over the course of the game and there's not that progression like there is with Vergil so the fight just comes out of nowhere as an amazing fight rather than you getting three awesome vergil fights over the course of the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh my god they removed the audio from that vid, the fuckers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wished there had been a fight against human credo and then later a fight against angelus credo

also nero is way more fun to play than dante. just grabbing dudes and suplexing them. his arm is such a neat gameplay mechanic

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Creedo was hands down the best fight of that game for me.

Not to mention it had the best buster attacks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
buster is such a great mechanic

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it's literally the circle button from god of war

that's the entire reason they put it in, to give new players a "I don't feel like actually playing this game" button where they can just slam non boss enemies into the ground over and over to win and QTE a bunch of health off bosses

that one .gif is the only time it's ever cool and that's because you actually need to use any sort of skill/timing in using buster

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

DMC1 is my favourite because I like the enemies, level design and the atmosphere

The whole series rules though, haven't played DMC4 and Bayo yet

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Dmc1 had long bestiary entries for every enemy and every attack they had. So sad they got rid of that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

that's the entire reason they put it in, to give new players a "I don't feel like actually playing this game" button where they can just slam non boss enemies into the ground over and over to win and QTE a bunch of health off bosses

that one .gif is the only time it's ever cool and that's because you actually need to use any sort of skill/timing in using buster
how many wrong opinions can one person have

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

darealkooky posted:

I'm sorry you don't understand how the style meter works

Also every button is like that in God of War and also in new DmC because those are games about seeing the next SUPER COOL SCRIPTED SETPIECE the devs made instead of doing cool things yourself like DMC3 and 4 and everything Platinum does and Clover did

Edit: Also I really liked beating the poo poo out of the old man at the end even if it was a pretty easy fight

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I tried to find the interview where itsuno or somebody straight up says that they put in nero and specifically the buster for people who are new to action games to have fun with DMC but I can't, oh well.

DoubleDonut posted:

Also every button is like that in God of War and also in new DmC because those are games about seeing the next SUPER COOL SCRIPTED SETPIECE the devs made instead of doing cool things yourself
so exactly what the buster does? push circle, receive cutscene where nero slam dunks an enemy into the ground + they take a billion points of damage

e: don't forget about the savior/sanctus boss fights being this kinda LOOK AT HOW COOL THIS IS bullshit too

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 9, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

darealkooky posted:

I tried to find the interview where itsuno or somebody straight up says that they put in nero and specifically the buster for people who are new to action games to have fun with DMC but I can't, oh well.

so exactly what the buster does? push circle, receive cutscene where nero slam dunks an enemy into the ground + they take a billion points of damage

e: don't forget about the savior/sanctus boss fights being this kinda LOOK AT HOW COOL THIS IS bullshit too

You can beat literally every enemy in DMC3, 4, and Bayonetta by just getting a turbo controller and holding down the shoot button and walking away from them. However, this will give you a really bad score, and also most people enjoy playing video games and not pressing the same button over and over

Like you can also just spam Stinger on nearly everything forever in DMC3 but you aren't crying about that because the style meter is literally there to stop you from doing that kind of poo poo

loving lol if you actually played through DMC4 just using Buster over and over

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

You can beat literally every enemy in DMC3, 4, and Bayonetta by just getting a turbo controller and holding down the shoot button and walking away from them.

lol no you can't, bullets don't stun more then one enemy and don't do enough damage, you'll get beat up by all the other enemies while the game plinks away at whatever one it auto targets

quote:

Like you can also just spam Stinger on nearly everything forever in DMC3 but you aren't crying about that because the style meter is literally there to stop you from doing that kind of poo poo
stinger doesn't play a cutscene that makes you invincible to every other enemy every time you do it, doesn't do nearly as much damage, is a lot more likely to miss and enemies can hit you out of it or after you recover

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

how to get past an angelos shield as dante:
- use trickster to sneak past them and hit them in the back
- use pandora moves like the buzzsaw or the flash of light to break it
- charge up a drive
- use lucifer
- hit it really hard with a charged gilgamesh hit

a bunch of different things that all look cool and have different specifics in getting them off without getting a sword in your face

how to get past an angelos shield as nero:
- hit him with your sword once so he blocks, then buster 2/3 times in a row so that the shield breaks

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Devil bringer should have been contextual to.every enemy like kingdom hearts commands, where you can ride enemies or use them as weapons and stuff

Coulda been used for.more stuff like enemy surfing in 3

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

darealkooky posted:

how to get past an angelos shield as dante:
- use trickster to sneak past them and hit them in the back
- use pandora moves like the buzzsaw or the flash of light to break it
- charge up a drive
- use lucifer
- hit it really hard with a charged gilgamesh hit

a bunch of different things that all look cool and have different specifics in getting them off without getting a sword in your face

how to get past an angelos shield as nero:
- hit him with your sword once so he blocks, then buster 2/3 times in a row so that the shield breaks

So what you're telling me is that you're bad at the game and you got a score of about zero points for every stage because you're too stupid to do anything besides hit circle a bunch

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I GUESS I could do a bunch of cool things like use my exceed moves or charge up my pistol and use that in combos or dodge around guys and hit them but I don't care about having fun so I'm just gonna hit the same button a lot

(Also devil buster doesn't do poo poo to bosses if you haven't hit them enough to put them in BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF ME mode already; also there's a long cooldown after using it once if you just spam it so you're gonna get your poo poo slapped. I hope this helps you in your quest to avoid having fun and collect bad opinions)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is actually stuff similar to that that the devil bringer can do like riding on Echidna as she charges at you during her boss fight. There's actually a lot of cool stuff you can do with buster that lets you riding enemies, carry them, return fire. It's mostly a mechanic that's used to maximize damage against regular enemies and it's really hard to get it against most bosses unless can keep a consistent stream of attacks going against them without breaking them for too long.

I never found riding enemies particularly useful in DMC3, but it's a neat thing for combo vids.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

dabfdjaklfjdsaf

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

enemy surfing is really good to isolate rear end in a top hat enemies you don't want to DT like lusts on DMD so you can beat them up for free by exploiting the fact enemies become way less aggressive when they're off screen, also you can buffer charge shots during it.

it's really stupid that nero body surfs in the opening cutscene but you can't do that in the game

DoubleDonut posted:

Well I GUESS I could do a bunch of cool things like use my exceed moves or charge up my pistol and use that in combos or dodge around guys and hit them but I don't care about having fun so I'm just gonna hit the same button a lot

Do you even know what you're arguing anymore?

Ignoring the part where none of those things are good at breaking shields, charge shot is lame too (hold this button for a few seconds, then do a regular looking shot that does aprox 10 billion damage) and exceed is either once per fight or that thing you always want to be doing depending on if you're any good at timing the quick charge. There's no thought to it, no "okay, in situation X I want to use this move" because it's literally just "all of your moves are better"

Nero is a boring lovely limited character who encourages DMC to be about WATCHING cool stuff happen instead of making it happen by being good at videogames, and that's really lame. Sure you can force some cool stuff out of him, but you can force some cool stuff out of loving dmc2 so I'm sorry if that doesn't really endear me to him.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 9, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry that you're more interested in playing the game as efficiently as possible instead of getting high scores when the game is literally about getting high scores but it doesn't become objectively boring because you choose to play it in a lovely, boring way

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this partys getting crazy

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

do I need to post my high score dick for the internet or something?

nero is so limited that playing him in a lovely, boring way still gets you good scores because they made everything he does give you tons of points so that it isn't literally impossible to get SSS ranks when you first play as him and only have like six moves

also if you think that playing in a boring way prevents you from getting high scores then idk what to tell you, because there are highest rank videos of literally every DMC game and it's many bastard children that involve the player dive kicking/flying swallowing/PPKing/high side kicking/heavy machine gunning/red hot one hundreding/whatever the loving over and over and over and getting great scores.

If your argument wasn't about getting good scores and was instead one that made sense (play for fun/coolness, not to win) then it still doesn't make sense because nero has no goddamn variety in any of his moves. ironically the most varied part of him IS buster because it behaves in slightly different ways on each enemy.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 9, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So is your argument that Buster is too good or what? Now you're saying that it's okay if one move is the best as long as it doesn't have a scripted animation play? If "dive kicking/flying swallowing/PPKing/high side kicking/heavy machine gunning/red hot onehundreding/whatever the loving over and over and over and getting great scores" happens in all of them how is that different from the Buster?

Anyway what I was actually trying to get at was that literally every button in God of War is that. If every button in DMC4 was just Buster but a different color then the God of War comparison would be apt but DMC4 at least allows you to play the game; God of War is a series of mini-cutscenes on your way to the big QTE cutscene.

I'm real mad that people are having fun in a game I don't like/people aren't having fun in a game I do like/people are having fun differently than me

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Somebody post that picture of the guy coloring all over a tic tac toe board and saying "lol I just play for fun!!!!!! XD"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

how is that different from the Buster?
more thought/inputs required, mainly. But you were the one that was making GBS threads on me for playing in a boring way and saying that doesn't get you points, so that ball is in your court.

quote:

Anyway what I was actually trying to get at was that literally every button in God of War is that. If every button in DMC4 was just Buster but a different color then the God of War comparison would be apt but DMC4 at least allows you to play the game; God of War is a series of mini-cutscenes on your way to the big QTE cutscene.
are you really being this pedantic? ignoring the part that every button in god of war isn't literally " start cutscene to kill man" (where would that classic square square triangle combo everyone makes fun of the game for come from if it was?), are you really saying that I can't compare similar buttons in dmc4/god of war because the other buttons are different? do you even know what a comparison is?

I mean drat the last fight in dmc4 is straight up "push circle at the right time three times and you win" and the ones before that are "push circle at the right time to counter the boss" and "walk in circles avoiding lasers until you hit a button, then hit a stationary target that doesn't fight back and repeat". None of that feels like god of war to you?

quote:

I'm real mad that people are having fun in a game I don't like/people aren't having fun in a game I do like/people are having fun differently than me
same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBXNHlQ6_ik

• Locked thread