Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Samovar posted:

Thanks for taking us through this game, looking foward to the Livid Dead.

So... you gonna do Rayman Legends?

I'd like to say yes. But probably not. Here's why.

When this LP was still in its drawing board phase, I imagined it would take about 6 months to finish, not accounting for possible interruptions, technical difficulties etc. It's now taken over 1.5 years (although half of that time I was on hiatus) and has spanned 30 proper episodes.Rayman Legends is a longer game, at least in my memory, and would probably take a lot more time to finish. And if there were any hiccups along the way, I'd be stuck with it for years.

All the time issues could be circumvented if I just played the game and talked over it while I do it. But doing commentary in post works a lot better for me and I can't think of things to constantly say while playing a game, I don't want to leave in stutters or additional noises. And because I really, really like Legends, I don't any of that would do it justice.

And while post commentary works better for me, it's also a total time sink. The more videos I make, the more I find myself redoing commentary, thinking of funnier less funny things to say, trimming audio and removing all sorts of extra noises, adding small effects on the videos and so on and so forth. I've spent hours upon hours redoing levels because whenever I hear myself say "I think...." or "don't quote me on this" I want to go back and double check whatever it is that I'm not sure of. Most of this stuff people wouldn't even notice, or they'd let them slip by. But I didn't want to come back to this in two years' time and think it's a complete piece of poo poo that I want to take off the face off the Earth. And I don't even want to imagine how long this sort of approach would take with Legends.

I was planning on doing a "Back to Origins" extra video for this LP, but to be honest I just don't have the energy to play this game much longer and that would probably show in the videos too. I'd just rather move on or take a short break or something.

Having said all that, I have been thinking of maybe streaming a playthrough of Legends since I have a new rig now. That way I wouldn't have to worry about "production values" and "planning" and I could just do a carefree run of it while speaking my mind as I go. But I've never streamed before, so it could be a complete catastrophe. We'll see.

EDIT: Here's the update from the previous page in case someone missed it:

Moody Clouds Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I would wait 3 years to see an LP that was even half as polished and pro as this one.

If there's one thing I love about LPs, it's when they're done by people that blow me away with their skill; so your LP has been one of my favs for a long time. Not once during the entire thing did I think: "I could have done better", which is rare enough but the thought and effort you put into this is amazing.

Please do archive this; because it is definitely a fantastic one that should be kept.

And yea, the Nymphs just always struck me as, problematic, at least they coulda gone with more variety. I dunno, if the gender politics of Quebec are anything like French ones they probs got bigger issues on they mind.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 19, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This was great, and I just caught up after I didn't watch for a while (no reason, really). I must have said it in the last thread, but this game really is the best platformer to me. Even its sequel can't surpass it (it's, for lack of a better word, too "gimmicky" for me).

Get Out! is probably my favourite sequence, it's so perfectly orchestrated for flow and spectacle, and it's not a simple button-pressing overly scripted exercise either...simply amazing.

One thing the LP has showed me, by the way...I didn't realize you would shoot faster on the mosquito if you hammered on the button. I always held it down. This probably explains why I appreciate the sucking move far, far more. Still, to pierce through a bunch of small fries with a big enemy which would have taken too long to shoot down without sucking it up, it still holds up.

Looking forward to the wonderful Land of the Livid Dead!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Final update!

Land of the Livid Dead (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Being a bonus level, Land of the Livid Dead is pretty ruthless. It's basically an endless gauntlet of tricky jumps and it forces you to be on the move constantly. But despite being difficult it's a really cool level and has I like how it changes up constantly and most of the sections are completely different from the rest of the game. So while you probably have all the tools and skills by the time you get here, it's kind of hard not to get killed. Speaking of which, I ended up doing a no death-run because I thought it might be interesting. I almost began to hate the serpent screen because of this.

The level also features one of my favourite songs of the game. It's heavily influenced by Ennio Morricone and has a kind of a spaghetti western clang to it. It's an odd combination but it works. And speaking of songs, I'm a bit disappointed the last boss stopped singing, but you can listen to her beautiful voice here.

Anyhoo, wit that we're done. Thanks for tuning in, everyone! I had a lot of fun making this LP, hopefully you enjoyed it as well!

Wugga fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 27, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Land of the Livid Dead is my favourite level in Rayman: Origins. It's brutally tuned, but I never felt like it was unfair. It presented a deadly challenge and expected you to be able to overcome it if you tried hard enough. And the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_S7nyIq0N8

Chasing a Dream is beautiful. And seeing as Wugga isn't playing Rayman Legends, I feel that it is necessary to link the version that gets used in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU5-5akDVuc

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Thanks for LPing it, Wugga! It was an interesting ride, for sure.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Congratulations on finishing this! A very nice blend of skilled gameplay and good commentary, I think you really managed to do the game justice :).

And yeah, Land of the Livid Dead is the best level in the game, and the bone serpent segment is the best in it. When I reached that, I experienced the purest joy I had ever felt when playing a platformer. It's. So. Good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks for all of this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'll confess - I was never able to beat Land of the Livid Dead. I made it all the way up to the fire screen, but after dying so many times I just got too frustrated and finally gave up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, so that's where the grannies came from. I wondered why guitar shredding zombie grandmas were chasing you on flying coffins in Rayman Legends

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
So the plot of this game is:

Rayman and co. snore so loud they piss off the grannies of the Land of the Livid Dead.
Grannies lock them up.
Uh.....
UHHHHHHH....
Save the fairy maidens!
You saved them!
Okay the wizard is a bad guy now.
Hooray you beat him up.

Am I getting this right? Did... did I miss a video or something?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I thought I was watching the 100% speedrun. Didn't realize there was a plot.

Though usually, the plot of Rayman games are just travel across some lands and then punch something in the face. Maybe more than once.

This has been an excellent LP where Rayman has punched things in the face.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

kalonZombie posted:

Rayman and co. snore so loud they piss off the grannies of the Land of the Livid Dead.
Grannies lock them up.
Uh.....
UHHHHHHH....
Save the fairy maidens!
You saved them!
Hooray you beat him up.

There was originally supposed to be more plot. (I think the Magician had a backstory of some sort?) But it got cut.

Anyways, great LP!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Thank you for your kind words, internet people!

Simply Simon posted:

Congratulations on finishing this! A very nice blend of skilled gameplay and good commentary, I think you really managed to do the game justice :).

And yeah, Land of the Livid Dead is the best level in the game, and the bone serpent segment is the best in it. When I reached that, I experienced the purest joy I had ever felt when playing a platformer. It's. So. Good.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun, even if it's pretty tough. The challenge maps in Legends were among my favourites, too, especially the ones where you had to travel as far as possible. It's a constant stream of obstacles and goes pretty fast by the time you reached a certain point (2km maybe, can't remember). And I still can't understand how some folks got over 30km in them.

kalonZombie posted:

Grannies lock them up.
Uh.....
UHHHHHHH....
Save the fairy maidens!
You saved them!
Hooray you beat him up.

Here'san excerpt from the manual:

So, yeah you pretty much got it. It looks like the story became sidetracked at some stage and saving the Glades became the priority. And since reaching Moody Clouds required the four Nymphs, they needed to be saved but were transformed into monsters because Bubble Dreamer had had a bad dream. Then it turns out Rayman was handing out Lums to the Magician who used them for building an empire so of course we had to beat him up kill him and destroy his fortress.

Land of the Livid Dead is just a little extra at the end where we return to our original plan... and it just so happens there's a humongous monster at the end who's also a nymph but ended up like that because either the Bubble Dreamer dreamed it up or the Magician was behind it.

The Magician on the other hand was a narrator in Rayman 1 and resembled Rayman as opposed to a Teensie. The bad guy was a guy called Mr. Dark and the Origins' Magician apparently is a fan, judging from the posters in his office. How Mr. D ties into all this, who knows. It's probably just a reference.

And yeah like Dr. Fetus said, most of the story was left out. It's probably for the best.

I probably should've focused on all this in the final video. Oh well!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
A line caught my eye from that image. Imagine the potential blurb now: Rayman Origins: This won't be the first time! It's weird that they kept the name when not a bit of origin story got into the final product. Well, except for the Vita version. Because of, I can only assume, CONSOLE SPECIFIC FEATURES there's collectables hidden in the levels in the form of these slightly transparent objects hiding in the foreground or background. The only way to find them is to hear them rattle when nearby, zoom in thanks to CONSOLE SPECIFIC FEATURES, and then tap them. They make up a mural in an extra screen in the Snoring Tree that shows Globox losing his red color or something, I never finished Origins or the collectables due to my Vita being broken.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Rayman's origins are easy. They were in a trailer for the game, the Nymphs made him.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage
This LP was a fun time. Cheers Wugga!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Oblivion4568238 posted:

A line caught my eye from that image. Imagine the potential blurb now: Rayman Origins: This won't be the first time! It's weird that they kept the name when not a bit of origin story got into the final product. Well, except for the Vita version. Because of, I can only assume, CONSOLE SPECIFIC FEATURES there's collectables hidden in the levels in the form of these slightly transparent objects hiding in the foreground or background. The only way to find them is to hear them rattle when nearby, zoom in thanks to CONSOLE SPECIFIC FEATURES, and then tap them. They make up a mural in an extra screen in the Snoring Tree that shows Globox losing his red color or something, I never finished Origins or the collectables due to my Vita being broken.

It's a shame I don't own a Vita, because I really wanted to show this as well as the story of how Rayman got his hair.

.... but because I can't leave well enough alone, I'm actually working on an extra episode at the moment, where I will discuss this and as some scrapped enemies and stuff, as well as play 3 Back to Origins levels on Rayman Legends. Since it's just a small extra thing, I won't spend too much time with commentary and probably just say things that pop in my head at a moments notice. But maybe someone will still enjoy it.

Super busy this week, but I'll try to get it done before weekend.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

32 - Extra: Origins, Legends, Etc. (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Here you go, one final episode for the road. Trailer for the game, scrapped stuff, art work and a quick glance (3 levels) at Rayman Legends' Back to Origins levels.

There was sooooo much I wanted to include in this episode, like pictures of the story of Rayman's hair from the Vita version, more of the artwork and more Legends levels, but this is the best I could conjure up with the time I had. Plus I didn't really plan on doing this to begin with but apparently I just can't leave this game be. :v:

But this is it, if I forgot something or miscalculated the amount of birds somewhere, that's one for the history books. This is the absolute last episode for this LP, for anyone who's actually still reading this thread. For anyone who's still here, thanks again for sticking around! It's been a pleasure.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thanks for the LP, it was cool

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Excellent LP, many thanks! I look forward to watching the rest of RUNNER, and whatever may come in the future. You're one of the most qualified and capable LPers to work in this genre, it's wonderful to have you here!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Archived.

Cheers, Baldurk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cheers on hitting archives!

I really like the look of Legends and some of the refinements, but it's odd that they got rid of time-trials, even for fun, when the sense of speed and motion seems to have carried through to it so well.

That Land of the Livid Dead, though. Not even any allowance for mistakes. Must make you feel like one heck of a badass to clear, assuming frustration hasn't set in.

• Locked thread