Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

It's downright gorgeous and a total blast to play alone or with friends. A truly realized vision at the top of its genre, Rayman Origins is an extravaganza with plenty of action to keep it fresh from start to finish and beyond. -- IGN [95/100]

Rayman Origins is a 2d platformer released in 2011. It was designed by the original creator of the series, Michel Ancel, who hasn't worked on the series since Rayman 2: The Great Escape. It was met with critical acclaim and was lauded for its graphics, music and gameplay. People have pointed out similarities with contemporary games like Super Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns and sure enough it feels like it's borrowed some elements from them both. The game has a vivid colour scheme and a playful, zany feel to it and the later levels are quite challenging, which is why I think it's one of the best platformers ever made alongside its sequel, Rayman Legends. Also there are no lives in the game, which is great. Let's face it, 1UPs and continues belong in the past.

Rayman and his buddies' snoring wakes up their neighbours from the Land of the Livid Dead, who promptly attack the Glade of Dreams and capture Rayman and co. During their sleep, Bubble Dreamer has dreamt up loads of nasty stuff and the Glade of Dreams is in turmoil. In order to make things right, Rayman must find electoons to fix the gaps between worlds and make things right again. Yeah, it's pretty vague, I know. Just go along with it.

100%. All collectibles, i.e. Electoons, Gold Medals and Skull Teeth will be collected in this Let's Play while trying to provide an informative commentary and proficient speedruns.

Spoiler policy: Feel free to discuss stuff I haven't shown off yet. This game is silly, absurd, whimsical, loony and the story is just a bunch of crazy stuff thrown together. However, there are a few plot twists towards the end. I'd rather you didn't talk about them. Consider the people who want to be kept in the dark, should they exist.

OTHER RAYMAN LP'S
Can't get your Rayman fix here? Check these this thread out:

Rayman, by Nidoking
Nidoking plays and finishes the first Rayman game. That's quite a feat, as the game is extremely difficult. The Viddler links are dead, so make sure to click on the Internet Archive-link at the top. Or go to Baldurdash instead.

Part 1: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)
Part 2: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)
Part 3: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

(Part 1.1 Erratum:) (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)
(Part 1.1.1 Birdwatching:) (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Extra: Origins, Legends, Etc. (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Bubble Dreamer
The Supreme Being, the Creator, the Platonic Demiurge. Bubble Dreamer is the one who dreamt up the Glade of Dreams and all its inhabitants, thus giving them life. Too bad he's a sensitive artist, so on a bad day his bad dreams end up wrecking poo poo up in the Glades. Which is why we're in this mess in the first place!

Rayman
Our slap-happy hero may not have limbs, but he can still kick serious butt. When Bubble Dreamer had his first bad dream, a bunch of nymphs gathered around and decided to conjure up a carefree saviour. Too bad his arms are missing because the nymphs were distracted by a bunch of ZOMBIE CHICKENS. Don't look at me, that's what it says in the manual!

Globox
Rayman's buddy makes a triumphant return. Globox made his first appearence in Rayman 2, where he rescued Rayman from a bunch of cyborg pirates or somesuch. It's all very confusing. He's the undisputed champion of powernapping and Fung-Ku. There are several rumours going around why he turned from red to blue, but a number of eyewitnesses swear it had something to do with bubeastietubbis. Or it might've been too much plum juice. This is all from the manual, stop giving me those weird looks!

Teensies
A bunch of magical creatures who played some sort of role in Rayman 2. They don't really have a lot to do with the game, but some of them are playable characters.

Betilla the Fairy
One of the Nymphs who created Rayman. In the first Rayman game she gave you new powerups as you went along, and she serves a similar purpose here along with her sisters.

The Magician and his Hat
Narrator of the intro video of the first Rayman game, the Magician turns out to be not another Rayman, but in fact a Teensie. He'll give you advice via his hat and will exchange Lums for Electoons. Hooray!

Lums: Beings of pure energy and a sunny disposition. They can be found in all levels in large quantities and may be exchanged for Electoons at the end of each level. Apparently it's supposed to be pronounced "Looms", but hell if I ever will.

Lum King: Picking one of these up will make all other Lums turn red and dance for a few seconds and sing a tune that is absolutely not annoying at all. Also they will give you twice the Lums during that time.

Skull Coin: Worth 25 Lums, they're usually tucked away out of sight. In order to get the bonus, you need to either get far enough from the place you picked it up from or wait for a few seconds. If you get hit you'll have to try again.

Heart: Allows you to get hit once without dying. If you already have a heart, any subsequent ones you pick up grant you 5 Lums.

Blue Punch: Closest thing to a weapon you can get. Shoots out horizontally when you attack and is useful in taking out targets from a distance. They have a smiling face, because they know they get to smack the living daylight out of bad guys. Extremely rare and generally found in areas where you don't need them.

Skull Tooth: Some crazy scythe-wielding guy calling himself Mr. Death living in the Snoring Tree lost his teeth and now we have to play an anti-tooth fairy and return them to him. In return for his teeth he'll grant us access to the Land of the Livid Dead.

Electoons: The stuff that dreams are made of. During the recent dream-meltdown of Bubble Dreamer, a whole bunch of them were put in cages by the bad guys. As a result, the dream
fabric has fallen to pieces and the bridges between worlds crumbled down. So we need to release them to make things right again. It's kind of out there, but this makes a lot more sense than Inception.

Lum Medal: Get enough Lums in a level, get a shining Golden Lum Medal! They do nothing! Nada! Zip! Zilch! Rayman loves them though, because whenever you get one he starts raving
like there's no tomorrow.

Time Trial Cup: Brag rights for being a speed demon! The prize for clearing Time Trials in under the par time. Highly pointless.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 5, 2015

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
What's this? An actual new video?

Desert of Dijeridoos Pt. 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 17, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's back! This is one amazing game, makes me wish Ubisoft focused on those more than Sandbox #238.

Sonnenkind
Jun 19, 2013

The Flaming Moron
It's about time Wugga! :argh: I'm glad it's back.

Seriously 2.0
May 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
This is a good LP so I'm definitely happy to see you and this thread back.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This is the best platformer since Super Mario World. It's amazing how good this is.

Too bad the sequel kind of sucks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I think the sequel is better in every way.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You are the first person I've seen to say that.

I'm glad the thread is back, I've always enjoyed Rayman games.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have the sequel, and it's pretty good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
God drat you, I had to purchase this game and experience an awesome platformer for myself because you stopped the LP!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Regy Rusty posted:

I think the sequel is better in every way.

The sequel is easier difficulty wise but, it's better in every other way.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

I'm not sure this is a common opinion. Personally, I love both games, with slight preference for the sequel.

Anyway, glad this LP is back.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Only four posts before a Rayman thread gets diverted into Origins vs. Legends debate? A new record!

Glad to see you back, Wugga. I really enjoyed this series last time around and I am looking forward to part two.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How about a re-rail? I was watching the earlier desert videos and when you talked to the fairy on the minimap, she said "Bravo" as "Avobray". Do the characters literally use Pig Latin?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

How about a re-rail? I was watching the earlier desert videos and when you talked to the fairy on the minimap, she said "Bravo" as "Avobray". Do the characters literally use Pig Latin?

Yes. Just another of the things amazing about these games.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The Bubble Dreamer does something different though. It's called "ubbi dubbi" or something like that.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Evil food ahead!

Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, this is back! This is probably my favourite co-op game ever made, and definitely the best platformer: the check-points are generous, it's fairly simple for you to revive your partner (they can move their death bubble, but you have to hit them), there are no lives so you aren't sitting around while a much better player is doing all the fun stuff and most importantly this all means that when you smack around the other player and/or kill them it isn't a supreme dick move like in something like New Super Mario bros- sort of easy and satisfying to do, but it doesn't cripple the other player. Really the co-op is masterfully designed in a genre where co-op tends to be really one sided or makes you just hemmorage lives (Donkey Kong Country Returns, while it's otherwise excellent, has co-op that's imbalanced at best and flat out impossible in some stages like the K levels or the factory level with the platforms based on wall switches).

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Hello, thread. Here's a new video:

Gourmand Land Part 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't like the ice sections of Gourmand Land, but the fire sections are probably my favorite part of the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The fire section's aesthetics are amazing. Everything from the music to the little faces the forks and popcorns make just clicks together perfectly.

Fractures
Oct 21, 2008
I'm very happy to see this is back. During the LP break I played and completed the game, but it will be interesting to see how someone with more platforming experience play this.

(Also, in Dashing thru the Snow you missed a coin. Once the level starts get small then return all the way left. This one is really irritating to find and get as it break the flow of the level.)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The music in the Fire themed areas of Gourmand Land is my favourite in both games, it's just so good, and the "vocals" that go along with it, just make it even better.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Personally I enjoy the ice levels of Gourmand Land more, which is weird seeing how I usually find them somewhat obnoxious. On the general level, my vote would go to the fire themed stages, but speedrunning is a ton of fun with the ice physics.

Fractures posted:

(Also, in Dashing thru the Snow you missed a coin. Once the level starts get small then return all the way left. This one is really irritating to find and get as it break the flow of the level.)

So I did! I've been wondering if I had missed a coin since the lums are so scarce in the level, but I never checked there. Thanks for pointing that out!

Oh, and something I'd forgotten to mention in the OP: aside from the HUGE REVELATION AT THE END, it's not like there's an actual plot for the game, so feel free to talk about stuff I haven't shown off yet if you like.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
This LP is so full of puns, I love it :allears:
Again, great video.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You know, I actually didn't much like the size change thing. Maybe it's just me but it didn't really add much to the platforming, in my opinion.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Dr. Buttass posted:

You know, I actually didn't much like the size change thing. Maybe it's just me but it didn't really add much to the platforming, in my opinion.

I'm with you there. The changes in the control scheme feel awkward and they don't even use the ability that much in the game, so you never really get used to it. It would've been so much more interesting if there were, say, branching paths where the other uses the small size and the other one doesn't. They had stuff like that in Dynamite Headdy on the Genesis and it was genius. And that was back in 1994.

With a little imagination it really could have been a fun power-up. Now it's just kind of bland and feels off most of the time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am surprised there were only three real levels in that world. Maybe there'll be a reprise later?

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I know this game is great to play, but I've never been able to do more than a couple of levels at a friend's house because I absolutely hate the character design. I don't know what it is, but everything about the visual style of the characters is just awful to me. The levels are gorgeous but the weird hyper-cartoony thing is just super distracting.
Especially Globox for some reason. I love him in previous games but here he just looks terrible.

I am probably the only one who feels this way though. Great videos, I do really enjoy the sound and level design.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Glazius posted:

I am surprised there were only three real levels in that world. Maybe there'll be a reprise later?

You might be on to something there.

Anyway, just chiming in to say the Gourmand Land time trial video will most likely be delayed until tomorrow because:

1) I had it all compressed and ready but I had to splice in some extra material and forgot to encode it again.
2) It takes a couple of hours to do and hell if I'm not spending that time on Binding of Isaac: Rebirth tonight.

Anyway, it'll be up tomorrow at the latest.

EDIT: Well imagine that, looks like I can actually play Isaac and encode at the same time. Never mind, update coming in a few hours.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 7, 2014

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
:siren: Update! :siren:

Gourmand Land part 3 (Time Trials) (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'll say this, I did finish every single level in the game, including the final one, but I didn't really do most of the time trials, and that goes for Legends too, and holy poo poo did that game have some nasty stages for speedrunning.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I like the design of the nymphs.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Judge Tesla posted:

I'll say this, I did finish every single level in the game, including the final one, but I didn't really do most of the time trials, and that goes for Legends too, and holy poo poo did that game have some nasty stages for speedrunning.

Yeah, the levels towards the end get extremely tricky, especially if you try to get a "perfect" run. Some levels like On Top of Old Smokey are just filled with tough sections and every time you get hit you have to go back to the starting screen, which is by far the worst of the lot. I must have wasted a few hundred deaths on that level alone just to get a good time.

... Which was kind of pointless since there isn't a leaderboard. :smith:

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
:siren: Update :siren:

Sea of Serendipity Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Much like ice levels in platformers, I'm normally torn about water levels. You know where this is going, right?

Yeah, Origins did it really well. The controls feel natural as you can just press wherever you wish to go. Still, I tend to do more mistakes here, since I keep dashing to gain speed, but it can go awry because you can't turn quickly enough after dashing. If your original trajectory is off, you'll spin straight into obstacles. Plenty of that going on in the video. The hitboxes are... interesting. I swear I've swam through a jellyfish several times, whereas sometimes I barely graze an enemy and it hits me. Thankfully, it doesn't cripple gameplay, just makes me a bit wary at times.

The atmosphere is staggering. The ambience created by the music plays together with the different areas - dark and light - of the level, as well. In brightly lit areas there are vivid colours of tropical fish and algae and it feels calming, whereas as the deep dark areas feel solitary and slightly pressing at times. Once again, they did a brilliant job here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't be said enough times, this game is just beautiful. The swimming sections remind me of Aquaria.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 16, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Vita version actually has a few exclusive trophies and gimmicks, you can tap enemies on the screen to kill them when they are bubbled and also collect any Lums or hearts in bubbles, there's also new collectibles, 3 per level and these require a lot of screen tapping to locate since they are hidden in the scenery, but they do make a very distinctive noise when you are close to them.

All this unlocks is a little wall mural back at the Tree of Wisdom, there's 1 for Rayman and 1 for Globox and I believe it shows backstory for them, I've not collected all of them myself as it's purely trophy related and there's a hell of a lot of them to find.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Judge Tesla posted:

The Vita version actually has a few exclusive trophies and gimmicks, you can tap enemies on the screen to kill them when they are bubbled and also collect any Lums or hearts in bubbles, there's also new collectibles, 3 per level and these require a lot of screen tapping to locate since they are hidden in the scenery, but they do make a very distinctive noise when you are close to them.

Nice. Unfortunately I don't have Vita (or the means to record it even if I did) so I can't show this in the course of the LP, but I'll make note to mention it at some point in the future.

Sudden poll: What do you guys think about the Speedrun Trashbin segments in the time trial videos? I thought they'd be a nice addition, since I obviously edit out any gently caress-ups from the proper runs and they allow you to see "behind the scenes", so to speak. I wouldn't include one if a run goes off without hitch, but on the whole, do you think they are even mildly interesting and entertaining or just bland, grating and unexciting.

I'd like to know since they can take a lot of work to put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think they're interesting. The actual speed runs show off all the stuff I could never do, but then the trashbin provides an entertaining contrast.

• Locked thread