Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soral posted:

i hear that story about someone putting console and pc people together a lot but nobody ever posts a source. i would like to read it and lol

Not 100% reliable but

http://www.totalxbox.com/21262/xbox-vs-pc-scrapped-because-of-imbalance/

quote:

"I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse."

Unfortunately the precision of mouse aiming meant the PC players had something of an advantage.

"The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
thats nothing 2 do with skill and all to do with the fact that controlelrs arent as good for aiming with as mice

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
er, nvm thot u were trying tio imply that ppl who play games on pcs were more skileld or something. excuse me haha

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

SeXReX posted:

lol 60fps

e. for people without autism

an actual SNES runs at just over 60FPS and there isn't an emulator I know of that does this.

if SNES does the thing where the framerate is tied to ntsc refresh rates you're gonna end up wanting to kill yourself if you try to get it absolutely perfect

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zen death robot posted:

Eventually the most expensive part will be finding working NTSC CRT Televisions. Those things won't last forever since the phosphors degrade over time.

They're in such abundance that it's going to take a long rear end time for them to become rare. And by then they'll have the emulation of it down to a science.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

Higan is very very close in most games

Every time someone mentions bsnes/higan I'm reminded that it was mostly created to correctly emulate an obscure Speedy Gonzalez game and the dev continuous sperging about rom file formats and rom headers and I smirk irl

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Widestancer posted:

INRI is not a YOSPOS reject though.

No. He's a Senior Regular.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zen death robot posted:

The ones made in the last decade or so we're pretty lovely. My guess is another 10 years an they'll be tough to find in good working order.

come to Montreal, people legit-leave once-expensive Trinitrons out on the street for the taking constantly, you just have to get to them before the copper scavengers do

qnqnx posted:

Every time someone mentions bsnes/higan I'm reminded that it was mostly created to correctly emulate an obscure Speedy Gonzalez game and the dev continuous sperging about rom file formats and rom headers and I smirk irl

i love that this game's bug is basically "game locks up if your SNES is working too perfectly"

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I almost bought a super famicom with super metroid when I was in japan but didn't because I no longer had a CRT TV. super metroid on the wii u is close but not close enough.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Evil Eagle posted:

I almost bought a super famicom with super metroid when I was in japan but didn't because I no longer had a CRT TV. super metroid on the wii u is close but not close enough.

You don't need the super famicom. Take a regular SNES and snip the plastic tabs out and it plays super famicom games. The only region locking that existed back then was cart shape.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

You don't need the super famicom. Take a regular SNES and snip the plastic tabs out and it plays super famicom games. The only region locking that existed back then was cart shape.

Some games on the Genesis/Megadrive actually had a region check. Mickey Mania even took it a step further with the Japanese version.

You get this screen if you pop it into a US or European system:

Then if you live-switch the game's region with a switch on your modded system or through an emulator:

and the game starts

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well it being a famicom was just because I was in japan. A SNES with super metroid would be just fine as I am no longer in japan.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

univbee posted:

Some games on the Genesis/Megadrive actually had a region check. Mickey Mania even took it a step further with the Japanese version.

Then if you live-switch the game's region with a switch on your modded system or through an emulator:

and the game starts

I went to play some mean bean machine at AGDQ and it was one of adam_ak's PAL carts so I got one of those when I plugged it into the US genesis.

Except it said 'onry for use in' and I smiled endlessly.

qnqnx posted:

created to correctly emulate an obscure Speedy Gonzalez game

Los Gatos Banditos? that game owns bones

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

buy higher grade CRTs made for use in public settings like in arcade machines and poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

univbee posted:

and the game starts
This rules

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

univbee posted:

and the game starts

I love it when games do poo poo like this.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Been playin' Dragon Warrior 7 and god drat this game is long. I'm like 30 hours or something in and it doesn't show any signs of wrapping up. Earlier this year when I played 4-6 (the DS versions) I got through each of those in under 25 hours.

If I had played this game as a teenager It probably would have been my favorite thing ever because I was of the mindset of "longer = better" back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

Earlier this year when I played 4-6 (the DS versions) I got through each of those in under 25 hours.

Jesus, dude. I adore the DS Dragon Quests, but 25 hours is a loving speedrun compared to how I play them.

• Locked thread