Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
meatdata. the government is collecting ur meat data. data about your meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

echinopsis posted:

poste about how metadata harvesting IS data harvesting and planned to move away from the US for good sometime. his job is data security

when the data security people tell u to worry.. don't just be all "lol"

1.) the government isn't just collecting metadata. when the president goes on tv and says "we aren't listening to your phonecalls. we aren't collecting your emails" it's a clever orwellian use of the language. "collecting" means both obtaining and then passing the information to a human analyst. even if your emails are sitting on some harddrive in the mdr under camp williams, they haven't been collected until a guy looks at them

2.) it cannot be stopped, so why worry

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
in the dystopic future president turbo-hitler and the bad guys from a comic book movie seize control of the government and proceed to use the surveilance grid to eliminate their enemies.

it isn't clear why turbo-hitler's plans hinge upon listening in to holocalls when he has a loyal million man cyborg army and robotic drones armed with enough nerve gas to wipe the earth clean of all life (or for that matter why the electorate turned out the vote for turbo-hitler) but it is now clear that if only internet activists had slightly embarassed the nsa a little more then surely this grim fate could have been avoided

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
basically yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one
of the things in life I "care" about is drug law reform. war on drugs is a massive excuse to incarcerate people for no good reason. terrorist laws aid this

it's kinda a side issue
of the real thing I care about and the other side of drug law reform is the human right to use a drug and spying directly affects this sovereign (not legal yet) right

that's why I care. I want ppl to be abl to use drugs and share
good info
about them and spying ruins it becaus the same people that decided drugs r bad mmkay r the same that decided spys r good

I can't wait till every spy apologist gets shot in one of those situations where innocent guy helped a criminal [in this case the govt] but now his job is done and he's a liability
so he gets shot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean that's a terrible thing to wish but
if anyone should get
shot from terror laws it should be people who love terror
laws [cremnob forst]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean that's a terrible thing to wish but
if anyone should get
shot from terror laws it should be people who love terror
laws [cremnob forst]

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
state of emergency / protect the homeland laws are universally fascist and evil, imo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
*rips a fart*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

one
of the things in life I "care" about is drug law reform. war on drugs is a massive excuse to incarcerate people for no good reason. terrorist laws aid this

u have a good heart echopenis and i support ur good ideas

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
buds4life u an me

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
at least now i get 4 bars all the time

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
I just learned about the time when Ronald Reagan car bombed like 200 women and children. And then he won reelection and then got fast tracked into saint-hood by the gop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This was very creepy to scroll through on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

angry_keebler posted:

2.) it cannot be stopped, so why worry

I'm going to quote moxie here because he put it really well.

moxie posted:

Over the past year, there have been a number of headline-grabbing legal changes in the US, such as the legalization of marijuana in CO and WA, as well as the legalization of same-sex marriage in a growing number of US states.

As a majority of people in these states apparently favor these changes, advocates for the US democratic process cite these legal victories as examples of how the system can provide real freedoms to those who engage with it through lawful means. And it’s true, the bills did pass.

What’s often overlooked, however, is that these legal victories would probably not have been possible without the ability to break the law.

The state of Minnesota, for instance, legalized same-sex marriage this year, but sodomy laws had effectively made homosexuality itself completely illegal in that state until 2001. Likewise, before the recent changes making marijuana legal for personal use in WA and CO, it was obviously not legal for personal use.

Imagine if there were an alternate dystopian reality where law enforcement was 100% effective, such that any potential law offenders knew they would be immediately identified, apprehended, and jailed. If perfect law enforcement had been a reality in MN, CO, and WA since their founding in the 1850s, it seems quite unlikely that these recent changes would have ever come to pass. How could people have decided that marijuana should be legal, if nobody had ever used it? How could states decide that same sex marriage should be permitted, if nobody had ever seen or participated in a same sex relationship?

The cornerstone of liberal democracy is the notion that free speech allows us to create a marketplace of ideas, from which we can use the political process to collectively choose the society we want. Most critiques of this system tend to focus on the ways in which this marketplace of ideas isn’t totally free, such as the ways in which some actors have substantially more influence over what information is distributed than others.

The more fundamental problem, however, is that living in an existing social structure creates a specific set of desires and motivations in a way that merely talking about other social structures never can. The world we live in influences not just what we think, but how we think, in a way that a discourse about other ideas isn’t able to. Any teenager can tell you that life’s most meaningful experiences aren’t the ones you necessarily desired, but the ones that actually transformed your very sense of what you desire.

We can only desire based on what we know. It is our present experience of what we are and are not able to do that largely determines our sense for what is possible. This is why same sex relationships, in violation of sodomy laws, were a necessary precondition for the legalization of same sex marriage. This is also why those maintaining positions of power will always encourage the freedom to talk about ideas, but never to act.

One of the many reasons to do something about it. We're not yet at a place where it can't be meaningfully opposed.

• Locked thread