Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Cyra posted:

did you know? only 25% of early access games introduced since the program's debut on steam have been finished and released!

That's more than I would have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
What are good Double Fine games to play because I don't think I've played any except the game they released on the phone which turned out to be an alpha

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

What are good Double Fine games to play because I don't think I've played any except the game they released on the phone which turned out to be an alpha

i like running around on the ball power in psychonauts

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

Psychonauts and like the first half of Brutal Legend

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

elf help book posted:

i like running around on the ball power in psychonauts

Oh wait, I played Psychonauts but that was a long time ago

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SarutosZero posted:

the first half of Brutal Legend is the entire game

Dec 26, 2012

elf help book posted:

the first half of Brutal Legend is the entire game

its better if you treat it that way yeah

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

SarutosZero posted:

Id say more like 2/3rds but its only 2/3rds of a game in the first place

BL was a case where they wanted to make a weirdo niche game and the publisher wanted a more by-the-numbers action adventure game except the publishers were absolutely right. Double Fine has real good art direction but keep proving they need an actual dev team and somebody to reign them in

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
personally, i am excited for these games:

goblet
meat
kill

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Schnedwob posted:

goblet
meat
kill

Those will go well with my other favorites:

Blood
Blood
Blood

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

I hope doublefine never decides to make a psychonauts 2 because it will end up being really bad

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
it's pretty funny that the thread about this in Games doesn't even mention Double Fine in the title, because they know nobody would look at it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Popular Human posted:

it's pretty funny that the thread about this in Games doesn't even mention Double Fine in the title, because they know nobody would look at it

doesn't even mention the game name either, just that it's fantasy x-com

which could be epic, in the hands of someone else

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

Srice posted:

doesn't even mention the game name either, just that it's fantasy x-com

which could be epic, in the hands of someone else

They stole XCOM stuff but they didn't figure out that moving cover-to-cover is what made XCOM good. Also people who gave them $50 or more on Kickstarter got to write the lines that the heroes say when they kill something in combat .

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

bigass jncos posted:

They stole XCOM stuff but they didn't figure out that moving cover-to-cover is what made XCOM good. Also people who gave them $50 or more on Kickstarter got to write the lines that the heroes say when they kill something in combat .

boy oh boy i can't wait to hear all the epic poo poo Imgur's Finest spent their time and money brainstorming

Dec 26, 2012

so how is it xcommish without the cover stuff because that was like half of new xcom. just that its turnbased and you have pregenned guys?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

01011001 posted:

so how is it xcommish without the cover stuff because that was like half of new xcom. just that its turnbased and you have pregenned guys?
Like in new XCOM, you have a set number of squad dudes who each get a movement action and an attack action (assuming you didn't have to sprint somewhere). There's three classes, a close-range melee guy, alchemists who have area-damage grenades, and ranged archers. Your soldiers can gain experience from killing a bunch of fantasy aliens and get a promotion, which gets them new abilities.

But yeah, sticking to cover is entirely not in the game, although some terrain that looks like it would be cover is damageable?

Edit: I forgot, there's also no overwatch or anything, so if your guy didn't get to attack anything that turn, they kind of just have to stand out in the open looking like a moron.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 18, 2014

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
and the dudes are pretty disposable/can be randomly what you need or terrible I guess

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

01011001 posted:

The melee guy in Massive Chalice can push enemies away and the other two classes are a grenade guy and an arrow guy. It doesn't feel like XCOM but it feels like it's trying to feel like XCOM.

There's base building and you have to pick between different locations that the enemy is attacking. The baby breeding mechanic is cool but it's also dumb because Fire Emblem let me help anime characters fall in love and meet/form bonds with their future children.

In this game if two of the heroes families are fighting you can send them on a road trip around the country which, if you're a god drat '90s kid, you'll definitely associate it with one of the epic movies from your past.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Would fantasy XCOM be wizards and knights fighting orcs and whatnot, or would it involve them all fighting off an alien invasion? Because the later sounds cooler than another tactical RPG with a fantasy setting imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I thought there was a Warhammer Fantasy Xcom already coming out, does Double Fine just steal game ideas from better companies and
toady one now?

• Locked thread