Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

so do you need the link-based passives to have a link that's able to trigger more than once in a turn (if so what's that passive called? I've only seen bonuses to multi-links and never actually "this allows you to multi-link")? do you have to have multiple people in the party use links in one turn to "chain" links or whatever? Did you mean that the EO-dancer-style skills like death chaser somehow trigger links more than once where normal attacks otherwise wouldn't? I don't understand the first thing about them and even though people have been saying it's overpowered, it seems like it's just delaying a single burst of damage instead of front-loading damage like a regular attack would.

I've been deleting all Link-related skills as soon as i run out of slots because i don't know how they work, and based on what's being said it seems like they take a whole ton of overhead from like 4 or 5 specific passive skill slots to actually work correctly in the ways people talk about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yeah they really need some passive power behind them.

And yeah, there's specific passives that "raises base damage and number of links". They raise how many times you can trigger the effect.

Basically, once someone uses a link every subsequent hit on that enemy will trigger a link with the max number of links depending on what passive you got. So if Chie uses Gale Link, then Aigis does a regular attack, that regular attack will trigger Gale Link damage. If she has Double Link or higher, someone else can attack and that will also trigger the damage. This damage is effected by the strength of the initial Link hit, so if it's Power-Charged and hits for like 1000+ damage, then all the other link damage will also be 1000+. Or to sum it up in turn-order-actions

Chie - Gale Link (500 damage)
Aigis - Heavy Shot (300 damage) Gale Link triggers(500 damage)
P4MC Normal attack - (100 damage) Gale Link triggers (500 damage)

etc

This counts for ANY damage to that enemy sans between-turn effects(like poison). Counters, follow-ups, I've even had an enemy link themselves from panic damage. Where it gets ridiculous is Death Chaser, when that initial link happens your two other frontliners will use follow-ups which also trigger the link.

Basically, links eat skillslots like a motherfucker but you only need one dedicated Linker, everyone else can do whatever the hell they want.

thanks for joining me for Aspergers 101 this will be on the test

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 20, 2014

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks, thats really helpful. I only have two frontliners and am probably never going to change that party format unless I eventually make a max damage build for Aigis (maybe not even then), so death chaser is maybe less worthwhile, but that still does make links sound more worth keeping around if I fuse somebody with one of the multi-link passives, and makes power charge more worthwhile on top of it

there are never any ranged links, right? and starting a link from the back row I'm guessing would result in less damage for the actual link triggers?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sorry, they're all melee :( Though you CAN just do the death chaser thing from the back row, as long as the link starts in the front row it'll be fine(Death Chaser triggers when anyone in the Chaser-user's row makes any kind of attack, you don't get the card until like level 65 though so it's not that big a deal). There's no damage reduction from triggering the link effect from the back row, all that matters damage-wise is who starts it.

You could always just wait until level 45 then buy this bad boy and build off of that. Links mostly start showing their worth around then anyway.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lesbian baphomet posted:

is Old Doll the red doll FOE or the white one? I was able to take the white ones as soon as i met them, but man, the one with Mamudoon i have no idea how i'm gonna get through without ultimate evolution personas, considering that P3MC is really weak to Mudo

old doll is the red one you get a quest to kill it after you beat the third dungeon

don't bother trying to beat it without using panic though because in addition to mamudoon it also has diaharan and deathbound and will make you seethe with rage when it full heals after you get it down to 10%. i beat it without taking a turn of damage using panic spam, so yeah. its strong, and has officially caused yukari to become an arcanist / status effect caster

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
oh you were talking about old doll all this time? geez, that would've made things way simpler.

it resists light. resists. :mrgw:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah but its easier just to make it panic forever

gonna try infinity dodger tomorrow at some point with my new panic powers

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yeah it can't be overstated how Really Good status effects are. My back row of P3MC/Naoto are basically totally dedicated to binds/panic alone. Unfortunately the Binding Hands skillcard(Belphegor, lv 60-something) comes WAY WAY WAY later than Impure Reach(Incubus lv16) but binds are still super worth it as they're devastating if you can land them. A well-placed Makajam turns a lot of FOEs into complete jokes.

also I don't think P3MC's ultimate persona loses the dark weakness, BUT it learns the best skill in SMT and also you can buy homonucleuses during the really late-game so it's not a big deal. I keep like 5-10 on me at all times like a paranoid motherfucker.

(also a fun skill to keep in mind later on: Stagnant Air! Learned/skillcarded off of Mara(Tower lv56) it extends the duration of any existing binds/ailments by 3 turns(but cannot stack with itself). This is ridiculous for very obvious reasons)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
wow nice protips, thanks!

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

So how many demons are supposed to be in this game? And can you get them all in one playthrough?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

some demons are dlc

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Mercurochrome posted:

So how many demons are supposed to be in this game? And can you get them all in one playthrough?

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Persona_Q_Personas

that many, and yes.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
got this game for xmas. mad props to whoever animated elizabeth fidgeting on her chair, also i have ocd and drawing maps is isnaely cool to me

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
same

i love drawing maps and its an itch that is not scratched in many games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i bought this. Hope it's fun.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

i bought this. Hope it's fun.

let us know your first impressions and history with megaten / eo plz tia

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hubris.height posted:

let us know your first impressions and history with megaten / eo plz tia

never played any eo, but have played some megaten (persona 1, 3 and 4, smt4). I turned on the automap because drawing your own map is dumb. I like the pace of the battles and have only just finished the first floor and assigned everyone a subsona. Im playing on normal with the p3 group. I'll probably never finish this because it seems like the kind of game that would be like 80 hours and ill just chip away at for years and enjoy it the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

drawing maps is dumb? stupid bitch

• Locked thread