Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
So I think I'll take another shot at pho this weekend. I checked out the asian grocer and found these:
Oxtail
Beef neck
Beef feet
Beef bones (leg maybe?)
Beef knuckle

I'm not sure what the difference is, or which would be best for stock. They had pretty big bags, so I don't really want to get a bit of each. If you had to pick one or two, which would they be?

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'd go with long bones and knuckle for sure. Neck maybe. Oxtail is a little precious to use for simply building stock. (I'd buy it... for making oxtail soup.)

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I just picked up a 16qt stock pot. How many pounds of knuckle and bone should I use for a full batch? I'm guessing it would yield about 8qt of finished broth.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RedTonic posted:

Oxtail is a little precious to use for simply building stock.

I hate that this is a thing now. when I was growing up you could buy short ribs, oxtail, lengua, shanks, bellies, for cheap as poo poo but now all the yuppie foodies "discovered" them. bah

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

GrAviTy84 posted:

I hate that this is a thing now. when I was growing up you could buy short ribs, oxtail, lengua, shanks, bellies, for cheap as poo poo but now all the yuppie foodies "discovered" them. bah

I miss cheap flank/flap steak and brisket. :( The ugly bits have become too pricey. On the other hand, as long as I'm not looking for an ugly pork bit, I can find offal and off bits more easily than my family could ten years ago.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While the good parts have gotten more expensive, they have also become a lot easier to get. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

idk, they were plenty easy to find in asian/hispanic markets before.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

posh spaz posted:

I had 3lbs of pork hocks, 2lbs of shank and 2lbs of shoulder. All the cuts had bones in them but I didn't have any just bones. This was about 10-11 quarts of water.

That was your problem then. That's at least twice as much water as I would use. I use at least 1lb of bone (hock and neck bones - hocks don't have as much surface area either as neck bones) for each quart of water. 4lb bones and 5 quarts water is the minimum I'd use. The beef shank and pork leg don't simmer for as long as the bones in the broth either so most of the body of the broth is supposed to come from those hocks and bones, you don't want to cook the meat part to death.

Also I'm still not clear if you actually minced lemongrass for the spice mix, that's a major component of the soup.

RedTonic posted:

I add herbs late in the process because they tend to lose their impact quickly. rethought: Adding some later will probably help you keep more of the fragrance. I don't know if there's any benefit to be gained from adding lemongrass in early to a multi-hour cooking session.

Lemongrass isn't really leafy herby, it's better treated like a spice when it comes to broths. In this particular soup it's two part though, you simmer stalks of lemongrass and the tougher ends of the stalks and take some of the stalks to mince and make a spice mix to add the broth toward the end.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

mich posted:

Lemongrass isn't really leafy herby, it's better treated like a spice when it comes to broths. In this particular soup it's two part though, you simmer stalks of lemongrass and the tougher ends of the stalks and take some of the stalks to mince and make a spice mix to add the broth toward the end.

It's enough herby that the really nice fresh fragrance disappears after a long simmer. A two-part add (one early, one late) might help give you the complexity of having the lemongrass infuse the soup during the active cooking period, with the happy freshness (thanks Bob Ross) and bright fragrance coming in when you add some more nearer the end.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

mich posted:

That was your problem then. That's at least twice as much water as I would use. I use at least 1lb of bone (hock and neck bones - hocks don't have as much surface area either as neck bones) for each quart of water. 4lb bones and 5 quarts water is the minimum I'd use.

Also I'm still not clear if you actually minced lemongrass for the spice mix, that's a major component of the soup.

Cool thanks for the recommendation. And yeah, I did mince the two lemongrass stalks for the spice mix. They seemed like big ones so I thought it would be equivalent to three. Next time I'll buy more lemongrass.

I think I'll pick up the neck, knuckle and regular bones. They come frozen in like 5-7lb bags, so I'll just store what I don't use for next time.

The beef feet looked super marrowy. Can one have too much marrow in stock?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Generally speaking, when dealing with Asian, especially south and south east Asian foods, err on the side of too many spices rather than rounding down.

Edit: also protip, lemongrass can be sprouted and grown relatively easily.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Making another batch of pho stock today.

1.25lbs beef neck
1.25lbs beef feet
4.25 lbs beef bones
1.25lbs beef knuckle
3.5lbs beef shank

With 10qt of water that maxed out my stock pot. So that's about 8lbs of bone/junk for 10qts. I'm sure it'll reduce a bit, so I think I'm close to the 1:1 range.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
My yield was about 5.25 quarts. I'm kinda surprised it was that little.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

posh spaz posted:

My yield was about 5.25 quarts. I'm kinda surprised it was that little.

That's pretty much why most people, after having made homemade pho, decide that it's not worth making from a cost and flavor standpoint. Pho is relatively cheap and tastes amazing at restaurants. Homemade pho usually costs more per bowl, and just never seems to be quite as good, either. I mean, it's certainly not pointless to make on your own and it's good, but for many people it's just not cost effective for what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I mean, it's certainly not pointless to make on your own and it's good, but for many people it's just not cost effective for what you get.

I spent about $26 on the meat and bones/junk, maybe $4.50 on three packs of noodles, $4 on ginger and onions. I had the spices already, $1 on Thai basil, $1 on cilantro and green onions, so $36.50 total. I had the spices already, but maybe add another couple bucks on to that. $40 for 5+ bowls of really good Pho doesn't seem that bad to me. There are a few Pho places in town that can do it better, but they're not super convenient and cost $8-ish per bowl anyway. That not even counting all the fun I had making it.

• Locked thread