Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Neurosis posted:

you don't actually need to use the spells at all but some of them are good, yes

explore the underworld map thoroughly. there are a couple of places with things to do that will affect areas later on in the game. they're not important but if you're a completionist...

damage scales exponentially based on your level. there's one boss in particular a lot of people are only doing scratch damage to by the time you get there, but if you grind a couple of levels she is cake

note there is very little actual grinding in this game, that one boss is just the exception. iirc you're meant to use magic on her
Damage is decided by arbitrary milestones. If you did the usual amount of grinding, you needed about 3 levels to suddenly cause lots of damage to her. They did the same with Crystalis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

man, Crystalis

that brings back memories

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Bolverkur posted:

is this a must because I just started playing Illusion of Gaia

You can youtube the bonus boss/dungeon if you really want and otherwise no they are absolutely not required. I got all the gems when I was a kid and it does not really feel rewarding in anyway unless you already know the series which I did not.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

man, Crystalis

that brings back memories

didn't level enough? gently caress you you can't damage this boss

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Scalding Coffee posted:

Damage is decided by arbitrary milestones. If you did the usual amount of grinding, you needed about 3 levels to suddenly cause lots of damage to her. They did the same with Crystalis.

i would also note it's not that hard to kill bloody mary just doing scratch damage, it's just extremely boring

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

is this a must because I just started playing Illusion of Gaia

i think the bonus dungeon is cool and provides some answers, particularly if you played soul blazer, and you will miss red jewels without a faq, some of them are absurd. you can probably find a spoiler free list pretty easily.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Popular Human posted:

The red jewels unlock a bonus dungeon at the end of the game, and at certain tiers of collecting them they give you stuff. Like an extra healing herb or a strength up or whatever. They're not strictly necessary (I certainly never got close to finding them all as a kid), but they make the game a little easier.

Also there's several gems at the very beginning of the game that if you miss you'll never get another chance to pick up, so chances are you've already missed out on getting them all :shrug:

you underestimate how slow I am starting out in a game. no big deal starting over now, but I think I'd rather play without a checklist guide, even though it would be a spoiler free one. thanks for the replies, imps!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This was my first RPG as a kid. Wish I still had the shirt. It was pretty dark to play as a child, and the sloppy translation only added to that effect. I had nightmares about the Jackal burning scene when I was like 8.

Terranigma is a more complete game experience, but I never really had the same feeling of danger that I got from IoG.

• Locked thread