Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

There are definitely supplies, but I don't know how much. In theory many of the aircraft stored at AMARC could be returned to service. Many of them are, actually...old fighters stored here after retirement have been returned to service as target drones. Now that we're basically out of F-4s, the QF-16 is a thing.

There are a lot. In addition to pre-positioned stocks in the CONUS and various trouble spots (use your imagination), Military Sealift Command keeps Army materiel pre-positioned on ships to be rapidly deployed and mated to deploying Army forces in the event of a crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

I keep hearing about "War Stocks" which is apparently a series of warehouses (or bunkers, depending on who you hear it from) in Montreal and Halifax with equipment, vehicles and arms for four full divisions in storage for WW3. This is apparently all the stuff that was removed from the inventory after the cold war budget cuts, M109s, ADATS, Leo 1s, FN FALs etc.

Is there an American version of this story or are Canadians just paranoid?

lol like we could muster 4 full divisions to arm anyways. I know we burned through a shitload of cold war stock ammo between 2000-2005

There's stories like that about the russians with mountain bunkers full of fresh T-55s and literal mountains of shells

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Dead Reckoning posted:

There are a lot. In addition to pre-positioned stocks in the CONUS and various trouble spots (use your imagination), Military Sealift Command keeps Army materiel pre-positioned on ships to be rapidly deployed and mated to deploying Army forces in the event of a crisis.

The prepositioned ships at Saipan and Korea are fun jobs.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

lol like we could muster 4 full divisions to arm anyways. I know we burned through a shitload of cold war stock ammo between 2000-2005

There's stories like that about the russians with mountain bunkers full of fresh T-55s and literal mountains of shells

A world war/cold war generates stupid amounts of stuff.
When I was serving my conscription in northern Norway in 1999/2000 some of us still got issued Marshall aid field shovels stamped 'US 1944'. And 'new'A/N PRC 77 radios straight from the mobilization stocks.

Not like today when we buy some new AT missile system and a whopping 2 missiles per launcher. :allears:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I once unwrapped an M2 .50 cal firing pin packed in 1922. I felt almost bad about it, it was almost like I was using a museum item.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Sjurygg posted:

I once unwrapped an M2 .50 cal firing pin packed in 1922. I felt almost bad about it, it was almost like I was using a museum item.

I worked at Concord Naval Weapons Station in school with some friends doing truck maintenance while they offloaded all the expired munitions and shipped it out to be tested and then back. Most of the small arms got shipped by train, along with some of the bigger stuff. Missiles always went out the gate on a flatbed covered by a tarp.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Sjurygg posted:

When I was in the 82nd we had a couple GM Spark Plug Division M2s mixed in along with General Dynamics ones in the arms room. I was a lil bummed when those possible Kraut, Jap, Nork, and VC slayers were swapped out with brand new M2A1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

• Locked thread