Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shitface
Nov 23, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

crazy sales for the first few years, then level off when everybody has one and they function reliably for years

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Doc Block posted:

LOL that MS named their voice control thing after a stupid video game thing.

lol

http://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-cortana-244965.htm

:smithicide:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

This is my daughter's name, yes it came from Halo but it is also just a beautiful name. We call her Cora or CC(not really sure where that came from) for short. But she switches equally between Cora and Cortana on school papers. ;) She is 6 and we could not have picked a better name for her. ;)

:shepicide:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

silly baka

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stupid gaijin! it's arucard

also: thanks very much, website, for the little autoplaying video ad to the right that consists entirely of a slow zoom into a fetus' vagina :pwn:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

also: thanks very much, website, for the little autoplaying video ad to the right that consists entirely of a slow zoom into a fetus' vagina :pwn:

wh

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
did bozos do anything useful with the washington post

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

deepthroat

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

poty posted:

did bozos do anything useful with the washington post

he's apparently ruining it or some poo poo, idk. a bunch of editors or whoever quit.

or maybe it was a different newspaper that was bought to push a different billionaire's agenda, idk.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
if the fire phone came free with unlimited calling and like 500mb free data as part of amazon prime it would probably be a really good phone for your aunt that likes to post facebook pictures of her tiny dog chasing the cats

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

angry_keebler posted:

if the fire phone came free with unlimited calling and like 500mb free data as part of amazon prime it would probably be a really good phone for your aunt that likes to post facebook pictures of her tiny dog chasing the cats

i would prefer that aunt didn't have a phone

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

he's apparently ruining it or some poo poo, idk. a bunch of editors or whoever quit.

or maybe it was a different newspaper that was bought to push a different billionaire's agenda, idk.

i think you are thinking about the new republic, which on the one hand did have a catastrophic meltdown, and on the other hand seems to have a long history of equally catastrophic meltdowns

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
i could've sworn a bunch of WaPo editors quit over bezos micromanaging them or whatever but maybe you're right.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

cremnob posted:

He then listed the attributes that distinguished each set of companies: "Risk taking is cool. Thinking big is cool. The unexpected is cool. Close-following is not cool."

I think apple is cool because they make good hardware and software, jeff

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Jeff is a true visionary, his visions are stupid, but still

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

i could've sworn a bunch of WaPo editors quit over bezos micromanaging them or whatever but maybe you're right.

nah, not that i've heard. supposedly they've actually been hiring pretty strongly, though i don't know how much of that's been in the newsroom. there was a guild protest a few months back about pensions, but i don't think much came of it

i got into an debate with my bartender a few months ago about how an objective/independent press is a historical aberration and how we're just reverting back to the steady state of over-the-top partisan tabloids, status mouthpieces for the wealthy, and little newsletters run by cranks. turns out that ex-journalism students don't appreciate that kind of talk. still believe it, tho

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

rjmccall posted:

nah, not that i've heard. supposedly they've actually been hiring pretty strongly, though i don't know how much of that's been in the newsroom. there was a guild protest a few months back about pensions, but i don't think much came of it

i got into an debate with my bartender a few months ago about how an objective/independent press is a historical aberration and how we're just reverting back to the steady state of over-the-top partisan tabloids, status mouthpieces for the wealthy, and little newsletters run by cranks. turns out that ex-journalism students don't appreciate that kind of talk. still believe it, tho

that poor bartender

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

rjmccall posted:

Paging blackula69

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
what does this cremnob thread have to do with apple vs google

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ericadia posted:

that poor bartender

he started it

i usually just sip my poison and stare blankly at whatever terrible thing is on the television (lol its the sharks) but sometimes people make mistakes

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

kraftwerk singles posted:

Paging blackula69

lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

rjmccall posted:

he started it

i usually just sip my poison and stare blankly at whatever terrible thing is on the television (lol its the sharks) but sometimes people make mistakes

this is a usual thing for you

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

some 9 year old is going to realize his name is dracula backwards, good job BECAUSE THAT'S HOW YOU GET GOTHS.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wouldn't that make the kid an anti-goth

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

:cripes:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

yuk yuk yuk

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

it almost sounds like you think that's a good thing.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
mostly neutral. a partisan press doesn't pretend to give you dispassionate analysis, but that's not really the strength of journalism anyway. meanwhile a partisan press means that there's always someone in the press with an actual interest in fighting the party in power, which is a lot healthier than a press that's pleased as long as it has access and always contorts itself into a neutral pov. on important poo poo, you should be contrasting multiple sources anyway, and with a partisan press those sources actually say different things instead of reaching the exact same "balanced" conclusion. the main way you lose out is when you can't be bothered to do that, or when something's too minor/local to get reported by multiple sources

but how 'bout them funy computers

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

rjmccall posted:

mostly neutral. a partisan press doesn't pretend to give you dispassionate analysis, but that's not really the strength of journalism anyway. meanwhile a partisan press means that there's always someone in the press with an actual interest in fighting the party in power, which is a lot healthier than a press that's pleased as long as it has access and always contorts itself into a neutral pov. on important poo poo, you should be contrasting multiple sources anyway, and with a partisan press those sources actually say different things instead of reaching the exact same "balanced" conclusion. the main way you lose out is when you can't be bothered to do that, or when something's too minor/local to get reported by multiple sources

but how 'bout them funy computers

a spineless press is still better than an untrustworthy one

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rjmccall posted:

your argument implies that we have an objective/independent press now, or had one some time in the last 50 years. which is wrong

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i regret mentioning that i ever go into bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

my fire phone

• Locked thread