Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

Oh, a testing program sounds good. On Sunday I had two family sessions and out of curiosity I recorded to 2 cards -- the suspect CF card and an SD card I knew worked for safety. The CF card recorded the exact same photos as the SD card and worked perfectly. Some sort of analysis to "prove" that might be nice.

I... well, I wasn't exactly sure what the photos on the card with the funky names were of, to be honest. I've been shooting A LOT in the past few months and haven't had a lot of time to regroup myself. That plus I needed to rebuild a RAID and add more disks to my NAS so my photos are kind of all over my drives and/or my laptop. I'd have photos on cards for a while which is not how I typically work.

All my photos are currently split between a desktop, 2 laptops, and a Surface.

Embrace Chaos :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dakana posted:

Oh, a testing program sounds good. On Sunday I had two family sessions and out of curiosity I recorded to 2 cards -- the suspect CF card and an SD card I knew worked for safety. The CF card recorded the exact same photos as the SD card and worked perfectly. Some sort of analysis to "prove" that might be nice.

I... well, I wasn't exactly sure what the photos on the card with the funky names were of, to be honest. I've been shooting A LOT in the past few months and haven't had a lot of time to regroup myself. That plus I needed to rebuild a RAID and add more disks to my NAS so my photos are kind of all over my drives and/or my laptop. I'd have photos on cards for a while which is not how I typically work.

TestDisk/PhotoRec are actually just undelete software. I don't know if they have a test function or not. You could run them on both the CF and SD card and then checksum the files that both recover? The CF should recover perfectly since it has an intact filesystem.

They're pretty much the standard go-to when you gently caress up a filesystem. I broke the connector off an external drive and then realized that the controller wasn't running a passthrough to a standard GPT table. TestDisk managed to pin down the start of the partition and I got 100% recovery onto a separate disk, then copied it back.

I'd try reformatting it and giving it another go, but after what you saw I would never rely solely on that card ever again. Best case you squeeze another couple of months out of it, but what you just saw is a gigantic lump on the MRI of your filesystem and sooner or later that card is gonna croak. Use it for Raspberry Pi or running stuff to the grocery store to print off on their kiosk or whatnot.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 3, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DJExile posted:

All my photos are currently split between a desktop, 2 laptops, and a Surface.

Embrace Chaos :q:

Check out git-annex sometime. Basically the idea is it's a distributed virtual filesystem where the file tables are stored in a git version-control repository. You take some files in a real filesystem, then mount them into the virtual filesystem at whatever location. So in other words all the stuff in D:\photoImports could be mounted at the virtual location /photos/import/ and so on. It can recognize identical files across multiple systems and allows you to check those in as duplicate sources for those files.

It allows you to transfer the sources arbitrarily - for example you could do "git-annex checkout photos/mysexywife/" and it would pull it from your laptop or whatever. The sources don't have to be online - for example you can create repositories for a DVD, and then store a copy of the index as a remote. Then when you tell it to pull, it will tell you "source not available, bring source 'Backup DVD 12' online".

It includes a tool called "git-annex assistant" which allows you to create rules about how data should be handled. For example you can say "everything in photos/mysexywife should exist on at least 2 independent repositories" and it can then automatically distribute your data to make that happen. Or auto-archive to Glacier after a certain period of inactivity. Or you can do things like "when repository USB comes online to host laptop, move any files from directory 'transfer' to repository 'USB'", followed by "when USB comes online to host desktop, move any files from 'USB' to 'Storage'".

If you don't otherwise use git I think the learning curve is probably very steep but it's absolutely amazing for bringing a messy network full of files to heel.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Paul MaudDib posted:

TestDisk/PhotoRec are actually just undelete software. I don't know if they have a test function or not. You could run them on both the CF and SD card and then checksum the files that both recover? The CF should recover perfectly since it has an intact filesystem.

They're pretty much the standard go-to when you gently caress up a filesystem. I broke the connector off an external drive and then realized that the controller wasn't running a passthrough to a standard GPT table. TestDisk managed to pin down the start of the partition and I got 100% recovery onto a separate disk, then copied it back.

I'd try reformatting it and giving it another go, but after what you saw I would never rely solely on that card ever again. Best case you squeeze another couple of months out of it, but what you just saw is a gigantic lump on the MRI of your filesystem and sooner or later that card is gonna croak. Use it for Raspberry Pi or running stuff to the grocery store to print off on their kiosk or whatnot.

Word. I realized that after googling TestDisk/PhotoRec.

There are apparently programs out there that will test flash memory. This tool writes random data to the entire capactiy of the card, then reads it back and checks for inconsistency.

Considering the potential loss of an entire wedding (or, poo poo, even just a few frames from a wedding) vs $60 for a new card, though, I don't think there's any way to restore my confidence in it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DJExile posted:

and a Surface.

:catstare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's a lot lighter than my laptop, so it travels with me and works well as a card dump until I can get home and get things onto some external drives.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Some live yeast from a ginger beer brew:

No shots of the terrible ramifications.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

They're actually excellent for photographers, it's basically a standalone Cintiq you can travel with and have full PS/LR, not the crappy mobile versions. A pro photog mate of mine has a Surface 2 and I've been wanting one ever since I saw him using it when we were traveling together a few years ago.

At this point I'd probably go for a Surface 3 or 4 for the extra 2" of screen size, even if they did switch from Wacom to N-Trig for the digitiser. Nerds made a huge deal about it when it was announced on the Surface 3, but from the videos I've seen it's fine, and with the 4 they've upped it back to 1024 levels (may have even gone back to Wacom for all I know, couldn't find any info on the specific type when it was announced).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://vine.co/v/iB672iddPJp

• Locked thread