Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Why would you bother.

Because I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

When I'm done replaying Doom as God Himself intended in all its pixelated glory, what poo poo do I install to make it pretty and modern?

It looks pretty with the pixels you ingrate.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

When I'm done replaying Doom as God Himself intended in all its pixelated glory, what poo poo do I install to make it pretty and modern?

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Wolfenstein 3D.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
there is chocolate doom with some few graphical enhancements but that mostly keep it vanilla.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Doom 64 graphics mod

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i have heard things about brutal doom but have never played it myself

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

starbarry clock posted:

i have heard things about brutal doom but have never played it myself

heres all u need to hear about it: its gay

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Mung Dynasty posted:

heres all u need to hear about it: its gay

it looks okay but it suffers from what a lot of ultraviolent games do and thats having limited ways to make bloody chunks of imp there is only so often i can see the same two, maybe three different ways to kill something with the same animation per weapon and then get bored
some games definitely did this better like soldier of fortune

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Can't you just download it and play it for yourself if you're curious?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

starbarry clock posted:

it looks okay but it suffers from what a lot of ultraviolent games do and thats having limited ways to make bloody chunks of imp there is only so often i can see the same two, maybe three different ways to kill something with the same animation per weapon and then get bored

actually the real problem is that doom is already the perfect game and adding ads (or aids as we like to say) and finishing moves makes it ultra gay

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Mung Dynasty posted:

actually the real problem is that doom is already the perfect game and adding ads (or aids as we like to say) and finishing moves makes it ultra gay

its actually doom 2 that is the perfect game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

starbarry clock posted:

its actually doom 2 that is the perfect game

some people say that that the super shotgun is too overpowered and makes doom 2 too easy, and that the doom2 maps arent as good
I say that those people are full of fail

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

qnqnx posted:

some people say that that the super shotgun is too overpowered and makes doom 2 too easy, and that the doom2 maps arent as good

No on super shotgun, yes 100% on maps.

The maps in Doom 1 Episode 1 are absolutely perfect, Episodes 2 and 3 are pretty drat good. The best levels from Doom 2 are better than anything in Doom 1 but they're the exception and many of the maps in D2 are just absolute shitpiles.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Final Doom is is probably the best in that it takes all the additions from Doom 2 and puts them in levels which aren't terrible gimmicks. It's really hard though -_-

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Final Doom is is probably the best in that it takes all the additions from Doom 2 and puts them in levels which aren't terrible gimmicks. It's really hard though -_-

so is my penis, when I am playing doom

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Brutal Doom has everything you need to make it a modern experience.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

qnqnx posted:

The Super Shotgun is necessary because of Doom 2's expanded monster selection.

Those monsters are very important because the only monsters in Doom that can hit a moving player are the trooper, the shotgun guy, and the mastermind, which makes Doom really easy in most circumstances.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Juts use zdoom, it lets you play in modern resolutions with as many or few mod cons as you like and no stupid balance or mechanic changes like brutal doom

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It should just hardlock if you try to load that mode where sprites are filtered and delete your Windows folder.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
brutal doom has reloading! so you can't shoot monsters as much at a time! what the heck!

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Hobo By Design posted:

brutal doom has reloading! so you can't shoot monsters as much at a time! what the heck!

The old "gently caress YOURSELF" was better.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

i played some doom yesterday and will again today

livin the fukken life

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Zandronum (formerly Skulltag) is a great way to play Doom online with friends.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

starbarry clock posted:

It's bad.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Real bad.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

what's the best e1m1 cover

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thEbQkcjUWk

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

GZDoom is what I play on, there's also HD texture and model support, but the models are dumb stick with the sprites. For enhancements NashGore.wad and/or Beautiful Doom don't gently caress with the gameplay much. There is also a new mod called Brutalist Doom which is the ultimate texture replacement and makes everything a cold stark minimalist environment to invoke the brutalist architecht style it goes well with those. There's also Brutal Doom but it's made by an rear end in a top hat so I havent played it in years.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

FutonForensic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8RAbWs1yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Something hisses with rage from the steel tunnels ahead. They know you're here. They have no pity, no mercy, take no quarter, and crave none. They're the perfect enemy, in a way. No one's left but you. You...and Them.

• Locked thread