Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe now that they're developing for the new console specs they can make towns that have more than 50 people in them, and street scenes with more than 10 of those people at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's right, instead of hearing 10 nodes spouting canned dialog at you, you can have 20 nodes spouting canned dialog at you

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Todd Howard: So, yeah, with the new console architecture we're making, ummmm [Todd looks around the conference room where the press release is being held] ummm, Stapler Artificial Intelligence technology that, uhhhh, [smacks lips] just really makes the gameplay POP, you know?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

sector_corrector posted:

maybe now that they're developing for the new console specs they can make towns that have more than 50 people in them, and street scenes with more than 10 of those people at a time

I doubt it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
The Skyrim engine was only somewhat less janky than the Oblivion one, and a bit prettier.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

maybe they could try developing a fun game for a change.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
every time i think about bethesda's inner workings it's like a scene from the bluth company

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

every time i think about bethesda's inner workings it's like a scene from the bluth company
It's an MMO based on the Elder Scrolls, but get this: no married chicks! I call it gently caress City!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, yeah, you log on and you just want to raid, but someone sends you a whisper for a cyber sesh, well check your EULA buddy, because you're playing in The Elder Scrolls: gently caress City!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Oh, yeah, you log on and you just want to raid, but someone sends you a whisper for a cyber sesh, well check your EULA buddy, because you're playing in The Elder Scrolls: gently caress City!
-summon object_beads
-creature_bees?
-object_beads
-object_beads?!
-error: gamebryo's not on board

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Fredrik1 posted:

I remember when Oblivion came out and the lovely starforce DRM would make my disk drive flip the gently caress out every time I tried to play the game.

oblivion didn't have drm we don't need to lie to make the game seem worse

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
todd howard is my friend and i like him please don't post mean things about the guy, as funny as it may be to do so

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The EULA for gently caress city is just a convenient list of body part euphemisms for the unimaginative

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Todd Howard: And here at Bethesda we make solid game engines

[Todd smacks hand reassuringly on Gamebryo, a watermelon flies off traveling 300 miles an hour and decapitates the guy from kotaku]

Todd Howard: Well, that's not good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Me, seeing sector_corrector's playtime in Skyrim is in the high triple digits: [incredulously] Well, is it funny?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Me, seeing sector_corrector's playtime in Skyrim is in the high triple digits: [incredulously] Well, is it funny?

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everything in Oblivion is either better in Skyrim or Morrowind, depending on the feature.

Such a bland game.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

THE PENETRATOR posted:

oblivion didn't have drm we don't need to lie to make the game seem worse

WTF, you are right, what game was I thinking of!?

Well don't mind me, Oblivion is ok, it was a great camping simulator.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
starforce was in something that came out around the same time but idk what it was

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i got sick of the lovely combat as a witch hunter so i restarted again as a barbarian, thinking i could just run up and gently caress things up with an axe and suchlike. oh god it's slow and monotonous as gently caress
why has everything in this game got so much health

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

sector_corrector posted:

Todd Howard: So, yeah, with the new console architecture we're making, ummmm [Todd looks around the conference room where the press release is being held] ummm, Stapler Artificial Intelligence technology that, uhhhh, [smacks lips] just really makes the gameplay POP, you know?

lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

vug posted:

i got sick of the lovely combat as a witch hunter so i restarted again as a barbarian, thinking i could just run up and gently caress things up with an axe and suchlike. oh god it's slow and monotonous as gently caress
why has everything in this game got so much health

Gamers didn't like their attacks missing in Morrowind, this method is much more realistic

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

May you walk on warm feels.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
it's funny that they said the artificial intelligence was "too good" so they had to take it away, saying it's too good was a really hosed up spin on the fact that they couldn't program it properly and couldn't put it in the game because of it. It's even funnier after reading comments of people actually believing in them.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

program666 posted:

it's funny that they said the artificial intelligence was "too good" so they had to take it away, saying it's too good was a really hosed up spin on the fact that they couldn't program it properly and couldn't put it in the game because of it. It's even funnier after reading comments of people actually believing in them.

"Our AI was so good it would do retarded poo poo like murder people in order to get a rake or cause the entire guard population to war amongst itself because one of the guards entered a forbidden area and another guard entered the area to arrest the first guard, causing a spiral of death in the process. We had to make it dumber, and that's why we delivered exactly nothing shown in our E3 Demo footage."

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
everyone ate food but the supply never replenished so one person would eventually beat everyone else down for their food

my favorite ai thing is still npcs in stalker walking into fires, detecting them as a threat, and firing into them while dying

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how the E3 demo pulled a Dark Souls 2 and removed the good lighting so it could run on consoles, and no one complained about it at all. I wonder who does PR for Bethesda because they really should be commended for their hard work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de1M4Q_g2eg

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

If you like oblivion then you have poor impulse control, and shoudl buy me an avatar with the Nortons niggers gang tag. Thank you for your attention.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

"Our AI was so good it would do retarded poo poo like murder people in order to get a rake or cause the entire guard population to war amongst itself because one of the guards entered a forbidden area and another guard entered the area to arrest the first guard, causing a spiral of death in the process. We had to make it dumber, and that's why we delivered exactly nothing shown in our E3 Demo footage."

That demo ruled hard because it was an insight to Todd Shitler's hosed up view on how people interact

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

everyone ate food but the supply never replenished so one person would eventually beat everyone else down for their food

my favorite ai thing is still npcs in stalker walking into fires, detecting them as a threat, and firing into them while dying

i never saw this happen, only the aftermath where 4 guys would be sitting around one guy dead on a barrel fire

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

Oblivion AI was actually win as hell.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ai stuff is really cool becuase sometimes they can't figure out how to make something work so they hardcode it

diapers in ultima 7 make anything panic because they thought it'd be funny to make enemies panic with them so they just forced anything to panic, even dragons and final bosses and scripted encounters

deus ex AIs automatically run from EM grenades no matter what even if they're not hostile or have any mechanical/nano parts

i cant think of more off the top of my head but there are so many examples of stuff like that

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
I remember playing oblivion for the first time, choosing khajiit and falling on my rear end when I saw it has human legs. How could they gently caress it up that bad?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Alchemist posted:

I remember playing oblivion for the first time, choosing khajiit and falling on my rear end when I saw it has human legs. How could they gently caress it up that bad?

boots are expensive to model, and you don't want to piss any players off by locking them out of any aspect of dress-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
i think oblivion was where argonians finally got tittays

• Locked thread