Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duane Walker
Sep 10, 2010
What mods make the game be interesting for more than half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:whitewater:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Just have your half hour and move on gawd it's not hard.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the mod that turns it into morrowind

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Duane Walker posted:

OOO is what you're looking for but it's still really, really bad even then

Kylra posted:

Just have your half hour and move on gawd it's not hard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

skyrim > oblivion > daggerfall > morrowind > arena

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Duane Walker posted:

FCOM.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
horse armor mod

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FO:NV

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

skyrim > oblivion > daggerfall > morrowind > arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5m7Bx-bZ6k

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I reinstalled this game as well because I'm mentally ill and never beat it.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I never beat it either despite playing it for a while. exploring the world was pretty good but the oblivion gates were just so monotonous

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
horse genitals mod

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You really do have to install OOO or FCOM or some poo poo because the leveling system is loving god awful. Also I recommend only doing the main quest once because it's loving boring. Just do guild quests and Shivering Isles and call it a day.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I modded the hell out of Oblivion a while back and it was alright until I realized that the mods that fix the levelling system did not fix the levelling system and my highly trained assassin of death was incapable of doing battle with a brown bear, and my super warrior of smashing had maxed out his blade and blunt weapons skills and despite that could not put a dent in those ghosts you fight during the NotN quest line. I tried using a couple combat mods but they were loving awful and broke constantly and didn't fix the issue of damage spongey enemies.

Just don't play Oblivion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the total conversion that turns it into a german WRPG is ok for a few hours, but then you get tired of staring at the ugly chunky clay person models, and the lovely unresponsive combat, and the gross looking plastic-rear end scenery and also realize the lovely collecta-thon nature of the conversion, and deeply regret the few hours you put into both setting up the game and then playing it to that point

so, in short, the uninstall mod

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Duane Walker posted:

N'WAH

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

apropos to nothing posted:

the mod that turns it into morrowind

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I played with AF Leveling Mod, Darnified UI, the Unofficial Patch, House Map Markers and I think that was it, OP. it's a fun game and worth many hours of your time, do not listen to the haters.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I played with AF Leveling Mod, Darnified UI, the Unofficial Patch, House Map Markers and I think that was it, OP. it's a fun game and worth many hours of your time, do not listen to the haters.

I liked it I liked it a lot. Played the most around Spring Break if I can remember

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Try Nehrim.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Falsum posted:

Try Nehrim.

Do this instead of playing the base game with leveling mods op

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

move on with your life and don't play this bad game or any of the other bad games in the series

if you want a good game in the same style try new vegas

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Isn't Oblivion completely outclassed by either Morrowind or Skyrim depending on what you like more about the series?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
having only played oblivion and skyrim I have to say that skyrim seems like just a huge step back in most ways. The leveling system that forced you to put your less used skills as your main skills (to avoid leveling up) in oblivion is probably the only downside in comparison to skyrim. Meanwhile the horrid guild quests and the lack of magic crafting are huge losses from my point of view.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They are all great games, including Oblivion, and all worthy of many hours, which will be fun and rewarding.

Skyrim is my favorite though, and the guild quests are great. I like the way magic works, but i hope ES6 does something between Oblivion and skyrim, with crafting spells but more limited

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bicyclops posted:

They are all great games, including Oblivion, and all worthy of many hours, which will be fun and rewarding.

Skyrim is my favorite though, and the guild quests are great. I like the way magic works, but i hope ES6 does something between Oblivion and skyrim, with crafting spells but more limited

oh, i get it

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

program666 posted:

having only played oblivion and skyrim I have to say that skyrim seems like just a huge step back in most ways. The leveling system that forced you to put your less used skills as your main skills (to avoid leveling up) in oblivion is probably the only downside in comparison to skyrim. Meanwhile the horrid guild quests and the lack of magic crafting are huge losses from my point of view.

are you retarded

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
do not troll me... you will regret it

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Wut?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do not troll him... unless you want to get penetrated, that is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

THE PENETRATOR: I already killed Aeris and you're next, troll.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

THE PENETRATOR: I already killed Aeris and you're next, troll.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Glad i could be of service

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes I feel like I have some kind of grasp on SA's peculiar sense of humor but this thread shows me that's not the case.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

apropos to nothing posted:

I never beat it either despite playing it for a while. exploring the world was pretty good but the oblivion gates were just so monotonous

oblivion gates were terrible and i only did the ones i had to do. they were the most boring and gayest shits tjhat could have possibly been put in the game

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Duane Walker posted:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
just thinking about the way oblivion looks makes me feel bad

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I completely forgot about the hosed up leveling where it was beneficial to put your least used skills as your major skills. that was actually the worst part, even as bad as the oblivion gates were the leveling being jacked was inexcusable just because at some point someone should have realized how ridiculous that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah it was bad. Easy to mod though

• Locked thread