Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

pro tip: make sure you put your pull resistors near the driver

also make sure the device doesn't have them internally

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

*swipes the direction which means you liek them*

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

bobbilljim posted:

*swipes the direction which means you liek them*

try a diode, it will prevent you from swiping in the wrong direction

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
cool things you can do with diodes:

- rectify
- mix
- digital logic
- clip
- clamp
- regulate
- illuminate
- bias
- much, much more

truly diodes are great

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

As a Millennial I posted:

i'm a fan of the sort of diode that emits light.

same. i recently bought a few sacks of leds from aliexpress even though i have no plans for them. i just love having a big ol pile of leds

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
just regular old visible light. nothing fancy

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

pretend you have a lovely latch on a backyard gate. so you put a little spring on the handle. that keeps it where you want it.

but you can still overpower the spring when you want to open the latch.

this does nothing to help me understand what is going on.

I understand having a path to ground to keep the pin pulled low; so that voltage fluctuations caused by various forms of interference flow to ground instead of into the pin. but I don't understand what the resistor is doing, apparently. I thought it was there so the path to ground can be taken when positive is unconnected, but offers enough resistance that the path through the pin has less resistance when positive is connected.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Alllllllll the 'input pin' is doing is seeing what the voltage is at the top of the resistor. Modern logic circuits have super high impedance and no real _current_ flows through them. They're just sampling.

What is the 'resistor doing' when voltage is applied? Turning power into heat. that's it. But it's not dissipating much power, it doesn't gently caress up the high/low switching, and like Physician's Mutual, it'll be there when you need it - when that voltage is removed and you need the input pin to be pulled to 0. So that's why it's there.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

that handwritten looking electronics book forms most of the breadth and width of my electronics knowledge since i read it as a kid

what's wrong with it :smith:
I've never seen him explain anything so as to enable someone to design circuits from first principles, e.g. he will toss out a single-transistor amplifier with a feedback element but never explain just what is feeding back and how to calculate the effect. So what he offers is ultimately a cookbook of nearly trivial circuits to bang on until they work for a particular application -- or not. That combined with his cutesy notebook aesthetic was enough for radioshack (rip) to promote him all those years since their priority was selling components, not educating anyone

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 18, 2015

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

on that note, can anyone recomend a book on ee? itd be hella interesting to read up on that poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you guys want we can design a basic amplifier or two in the oscilloscope thread or smth

i'll install multisim and take some screenies or even ~~~make a video~~~

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
this isn't ee per se but it's a great book about electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Electronics-Inventors-Paul-Scherz/dp/0071771336/

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i am definitely an inventor

Jonny 290 posted:

if you guys want we can design a basic amplifier or two in the oscilloscope thread or smth

i'll install multisim and take some screenies or even ~~~make a video~~~

i should start reading that thread again, it made me feel bad about my lack of ee knowledge

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
avalanche photodiodes are super cool, powering all our modern fiberoptics and all kind of sensor applications

also to get the best sensitivity you have to you use the very cool sounding transimpedance amplifier

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Awia posted:

i am definitely an inventor

i think you will find it right up your alley. it explains EVERYTHING.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Dr. Honked posted:

i think you will find it right up your alley. it explains EVERYTHING.

im reading it now and its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Doc Block posted:

this does nothing to help me understand what is going on.

I understand having a path to ground to keep the pin pulled low; so that voltage fluctuations caused by various forms of interference flow to ground instead of into the pin. but I don't understand what the resistor is doing, apparently. I thought it was there so the path to ground can be taken when positive is unconnected, but offers enough resistance that the path through the pin has less resistance when positive is connected.
digital input pins typically have a very high resistance by design (on the order of MOhms) so no, the goal isn't to dominate the input's resistance at all. The resistor is there to connect the pin to ground when it isn't otherwise connected, while still allowing the pin to be pushed high. An open circuit would not satisfy the first requirement and a direct short to ground would not satisfy the second.

e: i mean don't even think about the properties of the pin (again, inputs are designed so you don't have to). if you have an SPST switch and a moderate-sized resistor in series across a power supply, the middle node's voltage relative to ground will be the same as the power rail when closed (because the two are directly connected) and zero when open (because there is no current path + ohm's law). Connecting an input pin just measures that voltage.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 18, 2015

• Locked thread