Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much does gifv own comapred to regular GIF
A whole lot, it's way better
just a bit better, but it is an improvement with no loss in function
View Results

• Locked thread
MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

hello.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gas

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

du -hast posted:

yeah even reading the pics thread has gotten almost a chore now

lol never read a single piece of text in the pic thread

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

i thought webm was vp9 codec or whatever "not h.264, nope, no patents infringed here, no sir!" H.264 knockoff Google was trying to get everyone on board with a while back, while .gifv is just an mp4 and thus uses h.264 codec

tell

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

all browsers need to do is if you use the IMG tag, and it sees a video file, loop it with no sound.

this would solve a lot of issues but nope we get imgur "disrupting" the gif by slapping gifv brand on their video files

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
did you know? hello.gifv is actually a .webm??!‽!‽?!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

all browsers need to do is if you use the IMG tag, and it sees a video file, loop it with no sound.

pagancow was right

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i think the more important issue is, what exactly is "the culture of the gif" and why should i care about it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Glorgnole posted:

i think the more important issue is, what exactly is "the culture of the gif" and why should i care about it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Glorgnole posted:

it's about making "image sequences " of moose milkie

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Glorgnole posted:

u know what it is

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

is gifv still a good thing or have there been unintended consequences

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gifv is stupid because theres no need to support webm.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
shaggar was right

all you need is MP4, even mozilla caved and added h.264 support to firefox IIRC.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

zen death robot posted:

why do people get really worked up over codecs the last time I checked none of them can actually wear a fedora

lol you cant wear a fedora you install a fedora on your computer!!! u crazy

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
gifv is still good, if not totally necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

du -hast posted:

why is it that chome cant render gifs for poo poo but firefail can? its loving weird and i demand an explanation

it's because of adblock. no rly it is.

• Locked thread