Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
My favourite is that apparently turning off motion blur(Which you pretty much need to do for youtube videos to not look poo poo) has one of two outcomes, either it just crashes on startup, or it plays but you can't use detective vision or your map, and counter markers don't show up :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Nalesh posted:

My favourite is that apparently turning off motion blur(Which you pretty much need to do for youtube videos to not look poo poo) has one of two outcomes, either it just crashes on startup, or it plays but you can't use detective vision or your map, and counter markers don't show up :v:

Working as intended, detective vision is just Batman blurring his eyes a bit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MadDogMike posted:

Finally caught up with the videos, nice LP again as always. Only thing I would mention that wasn't shown was way back in the first video for the DLC, you can actually get a line if you walk up to the grandfather clock in the study, which was the Batcave entrance he was originally headed for (where he points out that he can't use THAT door in front of Viki Vale and the other civilians, naturally). That entrance is canonical to the comics from what I understand; apparently it is opened by setting the clock to the exact time Batman's parents were killed (for maximum Bat-Angst, no doubt).

I think there's also a red phone in one of the rooms that's basically the Bat-Hotline from the Adam West series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Someone in the steam thread actually posted that turning off some of the graphics options deleted your save.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
When I read things like that I'm glad all I got are absurd graphical glitches.

This LP was great, I caught it all in the last week or so. Thanks for putting in all the time and effort.

MrCookieman
Aug 10, 2010
Apparently I got lucky with Knight. I have a pretty good rig, but it's still below the optimal specs, yet the only issues I've had are occasional slow down and occasion dialogue desynch. And that's with all the graphical setting maxxed on my laptop.

Good game so far. Though I just got to a point where I almost feel like giving up, due to something that happens in the story. (Depressing, not bad story.)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Congrats on an excellent LP Scruffy. It was a great ride as always.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
This LP taught me that watching someone whose Batman combat style is slightly different to yours is infuriating in a way that I can't quite elucidate why.

Also that Cold, Cold Heart is pretty okay!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks for the great LP Scruffy, looking forward to Arkham Knight's. :3:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So what I'm getting from this thread is... console master race?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

So what I'm getting from this thread is... console master race?

The prophecy is fulfilled.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
Wait, AK is out already? I could have sworn it was a November release, right before the Christmas rush... I saw some trailers a while ago where the Batmobile had missiles and machine guns, so I wasn't really following it.

I wonder how they're going to bring Joker back for it THIS time. since as far as I know, it's after City chronologically? I've narrowed it down to three possibilities in ascending badness (since we all know they're going to bring him back):

1. Guilt over technically killing him splits Batman into three personalities instead of just two, Bruce, Batman, and Joker, and he pops up as a voice in the back of his head (which, admittedly, would explain why Batman is using GUNS AND EXPLOSIVES, but unless it's well done, would feel like a shoehorned thing).

2. Scarecrow comes back after the teaser ending of City, with a new, improved Fear Toxin, gets the drop on Batman somehow, and the normal antidote doesn't work. Batman hallucinates Joker over guilt. Deals with it by realizing he's creating problems, stops being Batman. (Would be a nice end to the series, and let them reboot the continuity again, at least?)

3. They retcon the blood he donated in City with some kind of... I dunno, undetectable Joker DNA thing? as some master plan he secretly had all along, and everyone who got blood (despite being cured) starts turning into him with... oh, please don't introduce Joker nanomachines. Then the final boss fight is against 50 Jokers.

Annnnd from what I can see, it's current gen, which I don't have. So I won't know until I watch the LP which one they went with.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

thetrueoskar posted:

3. They retcon the blood he donated in City with some kind of... I dunno, undetectable Joker DNA thing? as some master plan he secretly had all along, and everyone who got blood (despite being cured) starts turning into him with... oh, please don't introduce Joker nanomachines. Then the final boss fight is against 50 Jokers.

You're 14 years too late:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Joker%27s_Last_Laugh

quote:

While locked up in the Slab penitentiary, the Joker finds out he is suffering from a terminal brain tumor. Determined to go out with a bang, he uses a venom to "jokerize" other inmates, making them insane and changing their appearance, giving them white skin, green hair, and a wide smile.

Also, now I can post the best Shorpacked! Batman panel. Behold, Batman's Shameful Secret revealed at last!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thetrueoskar posted:

Wait, AK is out already? I could have sworn it was a November release, right before the Christmas rush... I saw some trailers a while ago where the Batmobile had missiles and machine guns, so I wasn't really following it.

I wonder how they're going to bring Joker back for it THIS time. since as far as I know, it's after City chronologically? I've narrowed it down to three possibilities in ascending badness (since we all know they're going to bring him back):

1. Guilt over technically killing him splits Batman into three personalities instead of just two, Bruce, Batman, and Joker, and he pops up as a voice in the back of his head (which, admittedly, would explain why Batman is using GUNS AND EXPLOSIVES, but unless it's well done, would feel like a shoehorned thing).

2. Scarecrow comes back after the teaser ending of City, with a new, improved Fear Toxin, gets the drop on Batman somehow, and the normal antidote doesn't work. Batman hallucinates Joker over guilt. Deals with it by realizing he's creating problems, stops being Batman. (Would be a nice end to the series, and let them reboot the continuity again, at least?)

Mix of 2 and 3, No master plan his blood just mutates due to the titan and scarecrows new toxin strain. Which causes Batman to hallucinate him all the time. Their is no guilt, and the issue is that the Joker hallucination with enough Fear Toxin will be able to take over Batman's mind. Nether the less this is really only a threat to Batman, Scarecrow is the main villain from start to end and the major threat.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Also, I think we all knew this but he took it to a whole new level, Riddler is a oval office. Where the hell did he even get that thing?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

thetrueoskar posted:

The guns are non-lethal and all the tanks you blow up are unmanned, which totally isn't a copout at all. You can also run over thugs with the Batmobile, non-lethally crushing and electrocuting them! :pseudo: Then you can do non-lethal burnouts on top of them while they're unconscious.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Doc Morbid posted:

The guns are non-lethal and all the tanks you blow up are unmanned, which totally isn't a copout at all. You can also run over thugs with the Batmobile, non-lethally crushing and electrocuting them! :pseudo: Then you can do non-lethal burnouts on top of them while they're unconscious.

My personal favorite is blowing up cars next to the thugs I've knocked out, because of course having massive explosions right beside them is perfectly safe. Their fault for annoying the hell out of me when I'm trying to concentrate on getting a riddler trophy really. Also the "non-lethal" way of stopping cars tends to produce spectacular accidents, hope Gotham's criminal scum wear seat belts. Still, it's a good thing I enjoy the Batmobile given how drat much you have to use it, though I LOATHE the races and the Cloudburst fight had me with a sliver of health left by the very end.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Once you get the grapple boost upgrades, the races are a joke. You save a shitload of time by just taking a direct path above the roads. Surprisingly, Riddler doesn't call you out on it.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Vicissitude posted:

Once you get the grapple boost upgrades, the races are a joke. You save a shitload of time by just taking a direct path above the roads. Surprisingly, Riddler doesn't call you out on it.

I had some trouble with the last few races because I didn't realize that you were supposed to be using the Batmobile instead of just gliding to the trophy.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Vicissitude posted:

I'm talking about the ones for the actual Riddler sidequest, which absolutely require the car. The ones racing to pick up a trophy up weren't that hard, no, but like all drat open world games with a vehicle they just have to slip racing in and I LOATHE racing games, much less those I have to do with controls not designed solely for that purpose :argh:. But overall my main issue with the car is the often-repeated complaint they made so much of the drat gameplay around it, while they have the best drat version of the original Batman fighting and Predator gameplay in the series and barely touch it. Those places where they do focus on the original style stuff are great (I about died laughing when I pulled an inverted takedown off on Two-Face in his final section) but they barely have them, especially in the main plot. The Batmobile was a great addition to the game, but it shouldn't have been ALL of the drat game.

Though to bring the discussion back a little closer to the subject of the LP, I was rather glad that despite the claims of them ignoring this game it did get plenty of callbacks. Origins may be the most flawed of the series but it wasn't so bad it deserved ignoring after all. The street thug who said he liked the Blackgate Riots better than the Arkham Knight stuff was crazy though, seriously.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

MadDogMike posted:

(I about died laughing when I pulled an inverted takedown off on Two-Face in his final section)

I have mixed feelings on that. Seems like it shouldn't have been that easy, but then again he's just a man.

quote:

The street thug who said he liked the Blackgate Riots better than the Arkham Knight stuff was crazy though, seriously.

Some of the best stuff comes after the endgame, but I liked the guys who comment about the random broadcasts. "I miss Scarecrow's broadcasts. Felt more Halloweeny. Riddler's definitely funnier, though."

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

I love how Batman's non lethal arsenal expands. Arkham Asylum's "non lethal throwing people into electrified water or bottomless abyss" was removes, but the series have done well to compensate. No lethal leaving unconscious people with broken arms out in wither, non lethally blowing up walls on them (I think that one was in AA already) among others. Now you can non lethally hit them with a car at 100 mph as well.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Crystalgate posted:

I love how Batman's non lethal arsenal expands. Arkham Asylum's "non lethal throwing people into electrified water or bottomless abyss" was removes, but the series have done well to compensate. No lethal leaving unconscious people with broken arms out in wither, non lethally blowing up walls on them (I think that one was in AA already) among others. Now you can non lethally hit them with a car at 100 mph as well.

Don't forget non lethally hanging people upside down until they lose consciousness, then cutting the rope they are hanging from and letting them fall non lethally directly onto their heads from 30+ feet in the air.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pointlessone posted:

Don't forget non lethally hanging people upside down until they lose consciousness, then cutting the rope they are hanging from and letting them fall non lethally directly onto their heads from 30+ feet in the air.
To be fair, you can drop hanging thugs into nonlethal deadly gas in AA.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I think the thing I miss most is being able to throw people into the bottomless abyss in Arkham Asylum. That was the best. :kimchi:

So overall I had a really good time with Arkham Knight and I can't wait for the DLC to finish coming out so I can rock it here. The combat's been changed for the better I think, it's faster and that's terrible for me since I've spent almost the last year playing the other games! My big gripe about it is that the challenge mode has been dumbed down and there's no maps that really take advantage of the enemy variations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

dscruffy1 posted:

I think the thing I miss most is being able to throw people into the bottomless abyss in Arkham Asylum. That was the best. :kimchi:

So overall I had a really good time with Arkham Knight and I can't wait for the DLC to finish coming out so I can rock it here. The combat's been changed for the better I think, it's faster and that's terrible for me since I've spent almost the last year playing the other games! My big gripe about it is that the challenge mode has been dumbed down and there's no maps that really take advantage of the enemy variations.

I think Knight's biggest improvements were in the predator sections. Between pretty much every gadget having some kind of applicability in predator rooms, the grate traversal objects, and the game actually showing you where the under-floor vents go, I found myself trying a lot more tactical trickery than my usual "graple up to gargoyle, wait 2 minutes for one guard to separate from the pack, silent takedown, retreat." For sure there's very little as satisfying as watching a chain of Disrupted medics taking themselves out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

dscruffy1 posted:

So overall I had a really good time with Arkham Knight and I can't wait for the DLC to finish coming out so I can rock it here.

I look forward to your LP. Personally, some of the the commentary in Games thread soured me on purchasing Knight right away, but the 5/10 review on SA's video game article really did me in.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm also looking forward to the next LP, this one was really well done.

hard counter posted:

I look forward to your LP. Personally, some of the the commentary in Games thread soured me on purchasing Knight right away, but the 5/10 review on SA's video game article really did me in.

Now it's a race between scruffy doing his LP and WB fixing the PC port. If they fix it first, I'll buy it immediately. If they don't, I'll probably buy it in three years for $5 in a Christmas sale.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Another LP well done, Scruffy. I like how exhaustive you are, really showing off everything they put in the game. Looking forward to your next project!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Glazius posted:

Another LP well done, Scruffy. I like how exhaustive you are, really showing off everything they put in the game. Looking forward to your next project!

Come join us in his next project The Evil Within (blind).

• Locked thread