Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Cheez posted:

As a pizzologist, I can say with 100% certainty that cold pizza can be good on a case by case basis, and reheated pizza can be good on a case by case basis as well, with separate results for microwave and oven. Now if you'll turn attention to the blackboard, I've created a pizza flow chart...

This sounds vaguely familiar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 1: Start of Something poo poo

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This game is so bad that I can't watch it. Don't do this to yourself.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

That was a struggle. Who thought it was a good idea to give you a neural stunner that lasts mere moments longer than it takes to pogo over and outright dispatch an enemy?

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
IT'S A BAD FUCKIN VIDEOGAME EVERYONE COME LOOK

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

Don't do this to yourself.

Too late :unsmigghh:

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Seems like most of the time if you get hit in the air you die. If you get hit on the ground you survive.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man seeing bad ports of games to the GBC is always going to remind me of the Resident Evil GBC port LP that was done a few years ago :allears:

unfortunately this doesn't have the charm, and I don't think anything ever will :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What terrible game is this? Why is it in a Commander Keen LP? This game doesn't exist in the CK series.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
I see there was another reason for Id to screw over Nintendo, in addition to censoring Hitler and swastikas in Wolfenstein 3d. :stonk:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Other games that were released in 2001:

- Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons (GBC)
- Wario Land 4 (GBA)
- Halo
- Super Monkey Ball
- Animal Crossing
- Pikmin
- Pokemon Crystal
- GTA 3
- Luigi's Mansion

This game was released around the same date the GBA was first for sale.

Wikipedia about Keen GBC posted:

David A. Palmer Productions initially approached Activision (id Software's publisher at the time) about developing a Game Boy Color (GBC) port of Doom, as Palmer had long been a fan of id's first person shooters.[1] Palmer's company had specialized in bringing licensed properties to the GBC, such as Earthworm Jim, Pitfall, Men in Black: The Series and Gex.[citation needed]

The game received generally mixed to positive reviews from nine critics on GameRankings.[2]

They did release Doom for the GBA later that year.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Maybe this game would've been better had it been on the GBA. Or maybe there shouldn't have been a game at all.

One surprising aspect of this game is the instructional booklet, which is pretty extensive and well done. And, uh, maybe I should've read it before recording so I actually knew how the game played, but I didn't know this existed until I realized there's usually something included with the game. I also get the sneaking suspicion that the correct order is Droddicus, Shikadi, then Fibbulus Xax, but whatever. :effort:

Tomorrow will be enemies, levels and bosses. What fun!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The weird colouring scheme on his clothes doesn't even sync up with what's on the box - yet they remembered the Packers helmet there!

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
If the musical stylings sound familiar to anyone, it's because it's done by Mark Cooksey, who did a metric shitload of 8/16 bit stuff.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

THE BAR posted:

The weird colouring scheme on his clothes doesn't even sync up with what's on the box - yet they remembered the Packers helmet there!

Or, weirdly, the title screen, which gets his shirt and helmet correct (he wears a purple shirt and blue pants in the PC games) while the box art doesn't.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

He's still got the most punchable face I've seen on any box art, it's horrendous.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Some of the early Mega Man box art would like a word with you, Bar.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

At least he's not a tenth as smug about it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 2: This Kills the Keen

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Was the music in Forest 'O Crazy Mushrooms really supposed to sound like two different tracks on top of each other?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Seriously, this booklet has everything

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

"To compensate, they've developed an oversized ear."

"oversized ear."

"EAR."

They, uh, they forgot something, didn't they?

Not to mention the lact of "sensitive eyes", why even go the distance of fetching old enemies when you're just gonna ignore simple visuals?

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

THE BAR posted:

"To compensate, they've developed an oversized ear."

"oversized ear."

"EAR."

They, uh, they forgot something, didn't they?

Not to mention the lact of "sensitive eyes", why even go the distance of fetching old enemies when you're just gonna ignore simple visuals?
oh come the gently caress on

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's so odd, because the graphics -almost- look good. I mean, it's colourful, Keen's running animation's pretty decent and the locales are varied.. There's just so much weird stuff jutting out, like the poison slug's lacklustre animation, Keen's syringe-o-stick and the lack of, well, monster animations besides walking and getting hurt. The fact that almost every monster functions like any other's a huge detriment, too, as that was actually one of the high points of the Keen series, the monster routines.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Small request from one of your 3 viewers here. Would you be so kind to link to your next LP in this LP when you start the next thread?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

THE BAR posted:

It's so odd, because the graphics -almost- look good. I mean, it's colourful, Keen's running animation's pretty decent and the locales are varied.. There's just so much weird stuff jutting out, like the poison slug's lacklustre animation, Keen's syringe-o-stick and the lack of, well, monster animations besides walking and getting hurt. The fact that almost every monster functions like any other's a huge detriment, too, as that was actually one of the high points of the Keen series, the monster routines.

Small teams of talented idiots making games for portables about others' IP is nothing new, but it's strange that Keen ended up getting that treatment. It's actually more of a disaster in terms of things they failed to pay any attention to, too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

THE BAR posted:

The last level of the first world almost gave me a migraine, and I don't even normally get migraines.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Major_JF posted:

Small request from one of your 3 viewers here. Would you be so kind to link to your next LP in this LP when you start the next thread?

Sure thing, but I won't be revealing it, otherwise the cat's out of the bag!

And while I wait for the final video to export, here's more sweet hints and cheats for this radical game. (Some of the images overlap with ones in Droddicus, but I don't care~)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 3: They Hope It's All Over

...we-we done? That's all of them? Well, not exactly. There are still 3 fan games to be done, but I'll have a small break from Keen. I imagine my next LP won't be any longer than 3-4 months, so odds are, join me in October when we finish LPing every Commander Keen game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thank god that's over. And thank you for lp'ing the good Keen games. :)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Found my registration goodies. I hope it's OK to post them here!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

e: ^^^ thanks for posting that registration stuff, that's really cool!

Thanks Crosspeice & Dirty Deeds Done for the lovely LP. It was awesome to see Keen 4 get completed after I spent so many summers in the basement on my dad's computer struggling to get through it, and then seeing the other 5 games I'd never seen before was really cool.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's so cool. I never knew it went into so much detail!

I hope I got everything... :ohdear:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Oh wow, that scan is lovely.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's everything, let's now pretend that the last Keen game was in 1991.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

As requested, here's my newest LP, I hope everyone enjoys it. :)

• Locked thread