Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

In the far off year of 1990, John Carmack, along with Tom Hall, John Romero and Adrian Carmack formed id Software, on the terms that they still made a game for Apogee Software every two months. So, they set to work and in the month of December, released the first three Commander Keen games, Marooned on Mars, The Earth Explodes and Keen Must Die, with a very simple premise.

"Billy Blaze, eight-year old genius, working diligently in his backyard clubhouse, has created an interstellar starship from old soup cans, rubber cement, and plastic tubing. While his folks are out on the town and the babysitter is asleep, Billy sneaks out to his backyard workshop, dons his BMX bike helmet, and transforms into...

COMMANDER KEEN--defender of justice! In his ship, the Bean with Bacon MegaRocket, Keen dispenses justice with an iron hand!"

They were a huge success, including their Apogee contracted game, Keen Dreams, a beta for the games that would follow in late 1991. The games we are covering now.

AT LAST

Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle, Keen 5: The Armageddon Machine and Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Babysitter! are hands down the best Commander Keen has to offer, they improve on both the original titles and Keen Dreams in basically every single way. They look okay for very, very early games, control really well, HAVE ACTUAL MUSIC and still scratch that platforming itch so many gamers need in today's starved market. These were the first games I ever played and I definitely started well.

The first game, Keen 4, was developed around the same time as Keen 6, which would be available in stores only, via FormGen Corporation, which explains why you can't find it anywhere. It also hyped people up for the release of Keen 5, released one month after Keen 4 and 6, in mid December. Unfortunately, it would be the last Keen game as id moved on to other projects, more specifically Wolfenstein 3D, and the cliffhanger ending was never resolved. Unless you count fan games. Which we will, because unresolved cliffhangers are THE WORST. But we'll get to those later, maybe.

So, with my planet exploring partner, Dirty Deeds Done, let's play through some really good games. I have been waiting for these babies.

:siren: NO SPOILERS :siren:

Part 1: A Good Game At Last

Part 2: Spelunkeen

Part 3: The Hills Have Villes

Part 4: Illusion of Inebriation

Part 5: Through Fire and Fish

Part 6: im not mad

Part 1: Cruisin' For a Bruisin'

Part 2: Amorphous White Blobs

Part 3: Cheeky 1-Up

Part 4: Git Tae gently caress

Part 1: Appetizing Pizza

Part 2: One Keen Enters

Part 3: Cult of Verticality

Part 4: The State of Gaming

Part 5: Molly's My Bloogbae

Part 1: Start of Something poo poo

Part 2: This Kills the Keen

Part 3: They Hope It's All Over

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 1: Pogo to the Stars

Part 2: Shrine Time in the Cities

Part 3: Secret City and Commander's Castle

Part 1: Brought to You by ACME

Part 2: Mind Control My Bullet to Yo Face

Part 3: Limp Back to Your Own Planet

Part 1: Start of Something Swell

Part 2: This Video is a Real Dick

Part 3: Oh For Fort Sake

Part 4: The End For Commander Clown

Part 1: You've Got to Eat Your Vegetables

Part 2: Boobus Bombs Near!

Part 3: More Bang For Your Boobus Buck

To any of those curious, here's a mostly full run down of the series' development

And the development of Keen Dreams

And here's how the sequel trilogy was developed

And to anyone that wants to learn the Standard Galactic Alphabet

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 20, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My childhood leaps with joy. :neckbeard:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Hurray, the good games are here!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh my God - I haven't seen this game in YEARS.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Keen 4 is my definitive version of Keen, as the element of exploration is full blown in this one.

I've always linked the Keen games with Autumn due to childhood memories, but also Calvin and Hobbes for its obvious viewpoint through a genius boy's eyes. Also Spaceman Spiff.

This is one of the very few, dear games that always makes me shake with excitement when discussing it, let it be with people in the know or newcomers to the series, and I know we'll be in good hands seeing how you handled the previous titles. :parrot:

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
I still refute any claims of these games being 2.5d

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This is some pretty deep nostalgia. I can remember playing this well over 15 years ago.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 2: Spelunkeen

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jesus Christ, I just got that when Keen enters a level, the icon is counting down the load time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What's the point of those water droplets? They don't even seem to increase your score.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's the point of those water droplets? They don't even seem to increase your score.

100 of them give you an extra life.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Whoops, I forgot to mention them, but that's probably because I knew I would be showing off parts of the Help menu anyway.

This isn't all of them, since we haven't seen some of the creatures yet and not all of them are in the help section, like the Blue Bird.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glad to see you guys back!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Oh God, that music. I can't believe they stuck in a track that quite literally loops every eight seconds. And had it playing constantly in the background of like half the levels in the entire game, including most of the hard ones. That right there is monotony something fierce, although Keen 1-3's sound effects are... divisive... as well.

Still, the game is such an improvement over Invasion of the Vorticons. The controls are vastly better, there's actual backgrounds with detail and animations, monster behavior is more varied and complex, in-level saving means the levels are larger and worth exploring... practically every facet of the game has been changed, and usually for the better.

One thing, story-wise (I know, I know): you can watch a demo from the main watch screen, which just shows off some of the game's levels, etc. After a level or two, though, IIRC you get a shot of Billy's house and a Star Wars-style text crawl explaining the game's backstory. Guess what music is playing in the background. :eng99:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Man, those blue birds used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. Third scariest monster in the game. Probably because you couldn't keep them down. We haven't seen the second and worst yet but the second functions just like the birds (except it doesn't fly). The worst is actually now my favorite and it's probably the most iconic monster from this game, and even more unstoppable than the others since you can't even shoot them at all. But it'll likely be a few updates before they show up. I won't spoil anything however.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poil posted:

Man, those blue birds used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. Third scariest monster in the game. Probably because you couldn't keep them down. We haven't seen the second and worst yet but the second functions just like the birds (except it doesn't fly). The worst is actually now my favorite and it's probably the most iconic monster from this game, and even more unstoppable than the others since you can't even shoot them at all. But it'll likely be a few updates before they show up. I won't spoil anything however.

I agree entirely with this post.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah, "fun" that is totally the word I would use to describe when I discovered that enemy :cry: (I think everyone knows which one I'm talking about)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
If you don't show off Keen mooning the player I'm voting this thread 1.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 3: The Hills Have Villes

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Aww poo poo, those guys terrified me and my friends back when we were kids: Keen 4 was the only one we could play too because 5 cost money!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Does anyone else see the black platforms with pink bars on them as either printer cartridges or VHS tapes?

Oh, and you use the impossible pogo trick a bunch, especially in Crystalus, you should explain what that's about next time!

E:

Tapes, too!

EE:

Oh, and it's pretty sad to get to the exit sign in Sand Yego, and realize you're out of bullets.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 15, 2015

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Good to see you back, and with the Keen games I actually remember!

I don't remember finding any of the Oracles during my childhood playthroughs. :downs:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Oh, and you use the impossible pogo trick a bunch, especially in Crystalus, you should explain what that's about next time!

I did talk about it in Keen 3, but I'll talk about it at the start of Keen 5, since it's very relevant.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

I did talk about it in Keen 3, but I'll talk about it at the start of Keen 5, since it's very relevant.

Mea culpa, it's been a while! Which of the three's your favourite, by the way?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

5, definitely. Then 4, then 6, but they're very close. They're all good games and I'll get into why when we're done.

And for the original trilogy, I think I slightly prefer 1 to 2, since 2 can get a bit samey. 3 starts off well, but is just terrible, it's my least favorite one.

Dreams is okay, but it feels unfinished and is more or less a beta, so it's below 1 and 2, but above 3.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh god arachnuts were so terrifying as a kid

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

oh god arachnuts were so terrifying as a kid
Yeah. And it's easy to see why.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

5, definitely. Then 4, then 6, but they're very close. They're all good games and I'll get into why when we're done.

And for the original trilogy, I think I slightly prefer 1 to 2, since 2 can get a bit samey. 3 starts off well, but is just terrible, it's my least favorite one.

Dreams is okay, but it feels unfinished and is more or less a beta, so it's below 1 and 2, but above 3.

5 feels the same to me as 2 did for 1; not enough organics and natural places to explore.

Poil posted:

Yeah. And it's easy to see why.

The white part with red dots on their "stomach" is supposed to be their eyes! :gonk:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

THE BAR posted:

5 feels the same to me as 2 did for 1; not enough organics and natural places to explore.

Definitely, but the difference being that Keen 4 has some levels I don't like, but they're all memorable, while Keen 5 is good throughout, but I couldn't tell the areas apart.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

Definitely, but the difference being that Keen 4 has some levels I don't like, but they're all memorable, while Keen 5 is good throughout, but I couldn't tell the areas apart.

Sounds pretty apt. I just value atmosphere over good platforming, I guess.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Video's up tomorrow since I'm visiting family that doesn't appreciate a huge internet bill and squashes my passion, but I did do some recording and my 7 year old sister noticed and wanted to play this 'Keen' game. So I thought why not and got up the first level of Keen 6 on Easy and see how well she'd do. She's never played a video game, not really her thing, likes to go outside and play and other weird things like that. And she's definitely not used to a keyboard, but once she knew the controls (I didn't tell her about the pogo to keep things simple), she managed to get through the entire level pretty handily. There was a lot of saving, yes and she doesn't like the big Bloogs she encountered and fumbled with firing (she's only got little hands), but she really got the hang of it and got quite good at jumping. She's not used to pressing two keys at once to do stuff.

And it was only during dinner that I realized I could've recorded her playing her first ever video game. Rats.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 4: Illusion of Inebriation

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Don't drink and LP.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had no idea there were so many secrets in this game. By the way, did that other guy's voice suddenly change during the Isle of Tar or is it just me?

Uh oh, scariest monster coming up in the next video. :ohdear:

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 19, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's called the Three-Tooth Lake!

As to why it's called that could be the three isles..

..Or something far more diabolical.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm part of the audience!!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 5: Through Fire and Fish

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And from this video, we have seen every enemy in the Help section. There's still more to see, more specifically one, but that'll be on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Dopefish! :neckbeard:

• Locked thread