Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

that was my problem with the combat, it felt like it was all tactical positioning which is cool but once you got there you didn't have anything interesting to do other than hit the murk a guy button, or maybe the ability that lets you murk guys better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i like turn based cover shooting and the shadowrun setting so i enjoyed these games

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'm on the last mission and i heard some of the player made stuff is pretty good, anyone got any recommendations on that front

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Frog Act posted:

i'm on the last mission and i heard some of the player made stuff is pretty good, anyone got any recommendations on that front

Its ba

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

Idk i think short cds + unlimited ammo makes for a pretty boring repetitive style of play where you just spam your most powerful skills on cd... and theres no resource management really to speak of. Sure you got a couple nades maybe but meh.

Yea.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Frog Act posted:

It's all trash, last I heard.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
The engine + editor doesn't really let you do cool RPG stuff so the best you can hope for is the default campaign but worse.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thats a shame, i really like a lot of things about the game but i wish it was longer + broader and had more item variety. i did every side quest and ended up putting like 16 hours in, some good community content would've helped

Dec 26, 2012

Frog Act posted:

i played the two most highly recommended missions soon after it came out and they were just total garbage that i was shocked anyone found appealing. it probably got better since then but im not holding my breath

Dec 26, 2012

it's pretty drat weird that minus like a handful of guns all of the weapon types have like two variations per tier at most, and it's usually just the smartgun vs the extra damage gun. dragonfall added a few to help alleviate this a little but drat, it would take like a day of work to make loading out way more interesting

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

01011001 posted:

it's pretty drat weird that minus like a handful of guns all of the weapon types have like two variations per tier at most, and it's usually just the smartgun vs the extra damage gun. dragonfall added a few to help alleviate this a little but drat, it would take like a day of work to make loading out way more interesting

yeah that's the other lovely thing, equipment just isn't interesting at all. loot's a key part of a good rpg and in this it's just boring as hell

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

01011001 posted:

this was a major problem for me, i went straight from KOTOR 2 to Dragonfall and it's just night and day how much more fun KOTOR is in that regard than shadowrun. i've used a smartlink revolver, because i don't even need 90% of the pistol abilities, and a burst fire shotgun for two thirds of the game because there were no upgrades

only ever changed armor once when i got a care package thing from the Lodge or whatever. would've really appreciated some more kit customization

also the looting system that doesn't let you transfer loot to other members of your party, just your immediate inventory or stash, is sorta irritating. but since theres so little loot it kinda evens out

the good story and acceptable combat scenarios make up for a lot of this but i can't help but feel it'd be a truly excellent RPG if they had more money for that sort of thing.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hoodrich posted:

shadowrun: dragonfall

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

yeah that's the other lovely thing, equipment just isn't interesting at all. loot's a key part of a good rpg and in this it's just boring as hell

i dont even mind lack of loot but shadowrun is in some way or another about preparing for specific tasks and you cant really do that at all minus swapping party members or stocking up on specific consumables

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

No two-handing? Fail Souls!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what rpg should i play next, imp zone? i'm on an RPG bender and after KOTOR 2 and SR:DF i'm not really feeling fallout 3. i still have Avadon, which looked interesting, but since the sale is coming up price may not be an issue and i could get something more legit

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

have you played pillars of eternity

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

have you played pillars of eternity

i played like the first five or six hours but never got a legit copy to keep playing so that is def high on my list

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

01011001 posted:

i dont even mind lack of loot but shadowrun is in some way or another about preparing for specific tasks and you cant really do that at all minus swapping party members or stocking up on specific consumables

yeah that's totally true. that's the thing i guess, with a few exceptions other than some token gimmicks every mission ended up the same as every other mission so your prep was always do i have enough stuff to deal with this mission yes/no. that could be a really cool aspect of the game if like you had to do a quick side mission to get a special decker program that's better at dealing with the main mission target's ice or some information that made your disguise better or something but if you gently caress up the side mission you make the main mission harder. or hell, even some say in how the mission parameters are set, like if your team's better at sneaking and talking you talk to your fixer and try to push for the initial plan to be an infiltration instead of a smash and grab or w/e

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

despite all of dragonfall's flaws though, i am feeling pretty satisfied after the ending. felt like a solid experience

i think i got the bad one though, APEX threatened to murder me so i decided to go with the evil dragon at the end, and then the epilogue was about a horrible civil war engulfing the city enabled by my character

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Frog Act posted:

despite all of dragonfall's flaws though, i am feeling pretty satisfied after the ending. felt like a solid experience

i think i got the bad one though, APEX threatened to murder me so i decided to go with the evil dragon at the end, and then the epilogue was about a horrible civil war engulfing the city enabled by my character

lol good job retard you ruined one of the few decent places left in the world

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i bet my dude got hella rich though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Parallax Scroll posted:

i like turn based cover shooting and the shadowrun setting so i enjoyed these games

the shadowrun setting is a lot of fun and i wish it would get a higher budget treatment. :(

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
One thing I remembered not liking was how the attack hit percentages seemed to have absolutely no bearing on reality like, way more than it seemed just being poo poo luck on my part

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it's bad, like all wrpgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ragg posted:

Its ba

thank you

• Locked thread