Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I would totally buy a realdoll that cooked and did laundry that sounds awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nobody makes plasmas anymore and all decent even used models have insane markup because of fanboys get the 55" LG oled or a decent sony/sarnsung

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

weird. this was a pana. I forget the model.

not saying there aren't some bad ones (iirc panny made a whole range) but i am familiar with the effect and good plasmas dont have it. sadly you mostly see cheap plasmas because CHEAP BIG SCREEN OMG :downs:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

LG oled

this is my next move when a 50" is sub 1500.

and yeah even cheap sarnsungs are usually good. i have a ccfl backlit 40" that suits my needs p. well other than the panel lag but it's like a 4 year old model now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i used to have one of those superthin led lcd tvs that you weren't supposed to lay down flat

it was a 55" and that xmas someone kicked in my front door and stole it and i'm p sure that they broke it gettin it outta there since the alarm summoned the police p quick

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i used to have one of those superthin led lcd tvs that you weren't supposed to lay down flat

it was a 55" and that xmas someone kicked in my front door and stole it and i'm p sure that they broke it gettin it outta there since the alarm summoned the police p quick

thank tha police

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
this is why you have the 300lb tube tv

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doesn't plasma lose something like half its brightness inside of three years

not if you dont have it on the retina-searing default brightness

Panty Saluter posted:

good ones don't, look at a dece pioneer or panasonic

thats the trick actually, you need to get a later-model panasonic, which would be basically any higher-end model from the period after they aquired pioneer's plasma tech. the ones they made before that were not great and sarnsung plasmas look like complete rear end

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

nobody makes plasmas anymore and all decent even used models have insane markup because of fanboys get the 55" LG oled or a decent sony/sarnsung

my artisanal vintage plasma television

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i own the last panasonic plasma television sold on amazon whatup

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
My friend uses a CRT and refuses to downgrade.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

ShadowHawk posted:

no I rent a large home in mountain view and rerent 4 private bedrooms and charge them net more than I pay in rent

also there was never a "substitute mom" at the hacker home who did laundry or cooked food though ironically my girlfriend ("your mom") sometimes does that for me now

someone post shadowhawk at the kitchen table again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
your computer janitors and LAN partiers are happy about the demise of CRTs, but your kitties are sad they no longer have a warm nap shelf

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

your computer janitors and LAN partiers are happy about the demise of CRTs, but your kitties are sad they no longer have a warm nap shelf

This is why i purchased a huge av receiver to power my computer speakers

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i dont wax poetic about CRTs in the least. good riddance you flickering headache machines

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

you're going to want an xrgb-3 or a frame meister. Not sure how well the frame meister handles weird refresh rates though (last time I remember, you'd still need an lcd that supported those odd ones as it wasn't going to convert them, but i haven't kept up with the firmware)

I don't have an upscan converter but they seem like they'd be cool, idk if it's worth ~$300 though

I keep a 100lb, 20" Sun CRT around for nostalgia, hardly ever use it but it does have a nice picture

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
love that crt whine

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I hear a Framemesiter can reduce lag when you connect old consoles to a HDTV? how does that work? the lag is in the tv anyway innit

i dont know much about this stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Granbar posted:

I hear a Framemesiter can reduce lag when you connect old consoles to a HDTV? how does that work? the lag is in the tv anyway innit

i dont know much about this stuff.

If the framemeister has lower processing delay than ur tv then it does the image processing and your tv gets a converted image at its native res. I imagine the tv would also need to be in game mode if u have it.

Now if the panel is lagging and crappy u r chinga no matter what

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I think we have the same friend. He really loves his lovely old 14 incher that keeps getting darker and darker. Still uses Winamp and the original Mozilla (pre Firefox). Stuck like glue to Windows 98 until like 2008 or so. Absolutely can't stand games running at 30fps instead of 60. Says something about LCDs having latency and not refreshing the way he'd like or something, and something else about "the colours just not being right". I've given up trying!

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doesn't plasma lose something like half its brightness inside of three years

Any plasma made since prob 2010 or even earlier will have atleast a 60k half life if not 100k. So yes, if you watch the crappiest plasma made in the past 5 years for 54 hours a day 365 days a year it will reach half brightness in 3 years.

• Locked thread