Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’d still love to see Blomkamp direct a faithful adaptation of ‘Aliems: Labyrinth’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

“During the excavation and research of the Derelict ship, we were going to find out it was made out of human DNA, created by Xenomorphs. The Xenomorphs were going to use their saliva and bodily fluids to take humans and rewrite their DNA into building a spacecraft, like the crashed ship we saw in Alien. So we come to find out that that ship was also made out of human DNA. It was described to me as District 9 with Xenomorphs, but emphasized not in a good way.”

This actually gels perfectly with the understanding that Engineers and the aliens themselves are also just humans. It's humans all the way down! Any delusions to the contrary is just the fetish character of the commodity rearing its head again.

"Nothing human is alien to me." -Terence

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Not this poo poo again.

I can guarantee that by the time the film releases that will of been replaced with a 100% CGI creature.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Not this poo poo again.

I can guarantee that by the time the film releases that will of been replaced with a 100% CGI creature.

By a corporate executive, using AI to bypass the production team entirely.

quote:

Jonathan Yunger, President of Millennium Films, was enthusiastic about the possibilities for AI in filmmaking. “I wasn’t a fan of AI,” he said, but “after shooting a demon character practically (for a film called Hellboy due out later this year) that didn’t look great, he turned to AI to come up with a new design, on a platform he built himself. “I was able to make 3000 creature designs in an hour. So now I can start to cherry-pick and edit those and then send it to visual effects,” he said.

Yunger stressed that he doesn’t believe AI will replace people — rather, people who use AI will replace those who don’t. “And that’s why I think it’s important for places like film schools to start to learn how to use these tools and these new technologies to further storytelling. The emotion of a human being will never be replaced,” he said.

That second part in particular is such a perfectly disingenuous "guns don't kill people, people kill people" example of the doublethink required to see any of this as a positive. He took an algorithm-shaped sledgehammer to the entire filmmaking process and thinks that's progress.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

Not this poo poo again.

Is it enjoyable being this miserable?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Is it enjoyable being this miserable?

I'm perfectly happy with it being a CGI creature in the final product.

Practical effects are a great tool on set for the actors and crew to work with, and they make a great tool for the CGI artist to work upon.

However, my complaint, is about the ongoing media narrative of films being made with "no CGI" or "no greenscreens", "entirely practical creatures." It's blatant lies from the director and the production company, and it's deliberately echo chambered to hurt CGI artist and any attempt that industry has at unionizing/surviving.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s one practical facehugger, it’s not purporting to be all of them. We’ve already seen a bunch of cgi versions in the trailer. I don’t think anyone is pretending otherwise.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, I took it as basically being "look at this cool toy we get to play with on set!"

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

McSpanky posted:

By a corporate executive, using AI to bypass the production team entirely.

That second part in particular is such a perfectly disingenuous "guns don't kill people, peope kill people" example of the doublethink required to see any of this as a positive. He took an algorithm-shaped sledgehammer to the entire filmmaking process and thinks that's progress.

Idiots like him assume easier means better, which is almost never the case.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s going to be a mix of practical and cgi. The alien they showed in the trailers and photos is clearly practical so we’re in good hands

Also lol at blomkmaps movie.

Look the idea of aliens building a ship out of people? Kinda fun. The derelict being made out of people? loving stupid. Get out of here

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i'm glad covenant got made instead of bloomkampf's movie neomorphs ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i dont care if they use CGI for some shots the xenomorph design looks good unlike AvP and resurrection where the xenomorph looked like a wet turd and velociraptor from jurassic park had a baby

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I honestly have more of an issue with how covenant did the effects where they made this wonderful practical suit and just painted over it. Made me kinda sad.

I just prefer practical. It inspires me and jsut looks cool

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i didnt like the xenomorph design in covenant all that much would have preferred if they had focused on the neomorphs and just had them keep getting bigger

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the beluga xenomorph kicked rear end

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i'm glad covenant got made instead of bloomkampf's movie neomorphs ftw

strong agree. also david going full dr. frankenstein rocks

i'm happy with 'almost-but-never-was' being Blomkamp's role in the storied history of troubled Alien movie productions; he's in good company! and he seems like a genuine sincere fan of the franchise. but the best bits of Blomkamp movies are the big dumb hypercolour ideas and action. he is too humanist, maybe, and Alien movies should lean into horror, with a really mean streak through the whole thing, just unrelenting doom from the mere existence of this impossible creature.

also aside from District 9 Blomkamp's movies are all a bit 'eh'.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i think undoing alien 3 would be a mistake and would just lead to alien becoming another tedious reboot/sequel franchise coasting on fanservice instead of telling interesting stories. furthermore, alien 3 assembly cut is good... time for the whiners to get over it and deal

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think undoing alien 3 would be a mistake and would just lead to alien becoming another tedious reboot/sequel franchise coasting on fanservice instead of telling interesting stories. furthermore, alien 3 assembly cut is good... time for the whiners to get over it and deal

Uhhh... hmm.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Romulus will be good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t wait to see what gross poo poo fede has the alien do to the human body

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I can’t wait to see what gross poo poo fede has the alien do to the human body

Or (genuine Romulus spoiler) what gross poo poo deepfake technology can do to Ian Holm.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that’s not a spoiler. There’s no way that’s real. You’re last batch of spoilers weren’t true for ghostbusters either

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i didnt like the xenomorph design in covenant all that much would have preferred if they had focused on the neomorphs and just had them keep getting bigger

Yeah they were loving horrifying. I wanted a lot more of them trying to sort of act like people.

e: if I were writing Alien Covenant I would've had David 'resurrect' James Franco for Katherine Waterston by stickin a chestburster in Mr. Francos corpse and then I don't know what would have happened but I bet it would've been hosed up

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 7, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i've read the romulus leaks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Yeah they were loving horrifying. I wanted a lot more of them trying to sort of act like people.

e: if I were writing Alien Covenant I would've had David 'resurrect' James Franco for Katherine Waterston by stickin a chestburster in Mr. Francos corpse and then I don't know what would have happened but I bet it would've been hosed up

i agree i think adding the xenomorph distracted from the weird hosed up poo poo david was doing and confused people when they should have had more creatures like the deacon and neomorph running around chasing people that fall down a lot

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

General Battuta posted:

I actually had a dream that I was in Alien Covenant last night, and I remember complaining (as we were all massacred in a phantasmagoria of ruptured flesh, oozing fluids, and violations of the body) that the script had dropped all of the interesting ideas from Prometheus.

I often think about this dream, I think I was addressing this thread

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i had a dream they had xenomorphs in a petting zoo and i got to pet the xenomorph once

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

As a kid I turned on the TV late at night once and it came onto Aliens just as a jumpscare happened and now I still get occasional nightmares about being in an Alien film and chased by xenomorphs

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i had a dream they had xenomorphs in a petting zoo and i got to pet the xenomorph once
I had a dream not too long ago (right after an Aliens movie series rewatch, go figure) that I was the unwilling subject of a WY experiment to create superhuman hybrids ala Ripley8 but the only actual effect was that I produced a pheromone that made the xenomorphs register me as one of them. The xenos were very confused that I hadn't sprouted the tubules on my back and couldn't secrete resin to help build the hive, so to help me mature properly they kept spitting up partially-chewed piles of metal shavings and trying to get me to eat them like a momma bird feeding its babies.

The xenomorphs treating me better than the company felt very on-brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I had a similar dream where an alien queen was waiting downstairs for me and she was my friend