Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

Alex Smith is like Jason Campbell more than RG3 in my opinion. scared checkdown master, to quote Lawrence Tynes. RG3 chucks it long a lot I feel, but I didn't watch the Skins a lot last year.

I remember the stat being thrown around last year was RG3 had a disproportionately high completion percentage because he was terrified of making a mistake so he would always throw to his short option, I'm not sure how much that held out through the season though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the Mendoza line is probably like, Josh McCown level.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's like that RGIII gif where he's got like five dudes open and he just runs with it.

That receiver is double covered. The CB is underneath and the safety is over the top. I can see why he looked him off to go for a one on one matchup. The RG3 stuff is a lot worse.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I understand the Chiefs offense is not built for deep passes off 7-step drops (no OL, noodle-arm, no great deep threats besides Maclin I guess). I just want forward passes, like slants, curls and outs. Things like that are fine, 5-10 yard passes. I am so loving sick of flare passes to Jamaal Charles and Anthony Sherman, or screens to De'Anthony Thomas. The defense always sees it coming and these guys get loving demolished (like that Charcandrick West hit in the GB game, edit: http://gfycat.com/WildIncompleteEyra) because some DB is sprinting towards the flats during every Chiefs offensive play.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I'm so so tired of watching Alex Smith take a snap and turn 100 degrees to his left or right for his first read. It feels like a different sport than football.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Chiefs should be the second best team at dink and dunk, with the Pats being the only better team at it.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

MacheteZombie posted:

The Chiefs should be the second best team at dink and dunk, with the Pats being the only better team at it.

The Pats are the better team at it because D's at least have to respect Brady going down the field. Smith absolutely will not do that.

Bengals defense is a lot better than GB's so I expect a fanbase crushing slaughter. Fans are going to be frothing at the mouth to boo the poo poo out of Alex and the team when they get back to arrowhead and try the same lovely flare passes and dink and dunks.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I actually think the Chiefs will do well against the Bengals, although they will probably lose. Reid is a good enough coach that two humiliating losses will stir up some crazy and effective gameplan (like the 41-14 Pats slaughter last season after starting 1-2 and looking like poo poo).

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Great, we can be lovely and then react our way to 8-8!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chromatic posted:

The Pats are the better team at it because D's at least have to respect Brady going down the field. Smith absolutely will not do that.

Bengals defense is a lot better than GB's so I expect a fanbase crushing slaughter. Fans are going to be frothing at the mouth to boo the poo poo out of Alex and the team when they get back to arrowhead and try the same lovely flare passes and dink and dunks.

It's not like Andy Reid helps with the playcalling. Was it week 1 were they ran that stupid rear end gadget play the first snap they got into the red zone?
I agree Smith's arm limits the down field looks that the Chiefs can pull off.

Speaking of bad/lazy play-calling:

Roto posted:

"I’ve had a couple occasions in literally each game, where they called out our play for one, then afterwards been like, ‘Hey, we knew what you guys were doing,'" said Tate. "That's something we got to go back and watch our tendencies to figure out." This doesn't reflect well on coach Jim Caldwell or OC Joe Lombardi. On top of the lazy play-calling, Matthew Stafford is hurt and Detroit has averaged a league-worst 45 rushing yards per game. The Lions are in an 0-3 rut and unlikely to climb out of it this week in Seattle.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 30, 2015

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chromatic posted:

Yeah, the Patriots have been taking a fair number of deep shots. Brady's got 14 passes over 20 yards so far (and a pair of long PI's), Alex Smith has 3.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

It's not like Andy Reid helps with the playcalling.

I hear he absolutely calls the plays or at least has final say on what they'll be.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I think he meant "helps the situation"

We all know Andy has a stranglehold on calling the plays.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Which makes me wonder if he trusts his quarterback, given what he's done in the past.

Or it makes me wonder just how much he loves those doomed to fail screens I guess. Alex was awful no doubt, but man some of those play calls. Especially the DAT shifting into the backfield screen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

I think he meant "helps the situation"

That. Typing too fast after my morning coffee.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I just think the Chiefs are possibly at an extremely bad point now where defenses will do exactly what GB did. Reid possibly exhausting all the schemes he has to cover for the QB's reluctance to throw the ball down the field and when you add in a lovely o-line on top of that, yeah it can get real ugly.

Hope I'm not overreacting.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Which makes me wonder if he trusts his quarterback, given what he's done in the past.

Or it makes me wonder just how much he loves those doomed to fail screens I guess. Alex was awful no doubt, but man some of those play calls. Especially the DAT shifting into the backfield screen.

I think he builds the screens into plays, but they're certainly not always the first read. Or shouldn't be.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I just looked it up and this year Alex Smith has actually thrown deep balls (20+ yards) at a relatively normal rate. He's still near the bottom, but he's aired it out more than Rodgers, Manning, Ryan, Romo, Stafford and a bunch of others.

Most of those aforementioned quarterbacks have a better completion percentage (Manning excepted), but he's still only a bit below average than the rest of the league in that category.

I watched Monday's game and cannot fathom how any of what I just typed is possibly true.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
What about intermediate distances? Is it actually that he never goes middle distance and therefore creates a sort of optical illusion (for want of a better term) because he throws normal amounts of deep but then exclusively short ones outside of them?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

embarrasing tank posted:

What about intermediate distances? Is it actually that he never goes middle distance and therefore creates a sort of optical illusion (for want of a better term) because he throws normal amounts of deep but then exclusively short ones outside of them?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

100% completion percentage for 20-30 yards. :smug:

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Guess not!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burger Trench posted:

I just looked it up and this year Alex Smith has actually thrown deep balls (20+ yards) at a relatively normal rate. He's still near the bottom, but he's aired it out more than Rodgers, Manning, Ryan, Romo, Stafford and a bunch of others.

Most of those aforementioned quarterbacks have a better completion percentage (Manning excepted), but he's still only a bit below average than the rest of the league in that category.

I watched Monday's game and cannot fathom how any of what I just typed is possibly true.

Where did you find a list of QBs ranked by Pass Length? I can only find individual players via Split Stats.

I also want something similar for RBs pertaining to Yards Before Contact and Yards After Contact as well if you know a site.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Might want to look into FO -- I think they do game charting? PFF used to have that available for their premium stats but they've signed some sort of exclusivity deal so the only thing you can get now are their Madden PFF RatingsTM.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

Might want to look into FO -- I think they do game charting? PFF used to have that available for their premium stats but they've signed some sort of exclusivity deal so the only thing you can get now are their Madden PFF RatingsTM.

Yeah PFF was the first site I looked at, and FO only provides their DVOA ratings I believe.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I used PFF. In their signature stats tab, they have a section for “Deep Passing.” Won't be as easy to compare intermediate lengths among all QBs, though.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Pron on VHS posted:

I understand the Chiefs offense is not built for deep passes off 7-step drops (no OL, noodle-arm, no great deep threats besides Maclin I guess). I just want forward passes, like slants, curls and outs. Things like that are fine, 5-10 yard passes. I am so loving sick of flare passes to Jamaal Charles and Anthony Sherman, or screens to De'Anthony Thomas. The defense always sees it coming and these guys get loving demolished (like that Charcandrick West hit in the GB game, edit: http://gfycat.com/WildIncompleteEyra) because some DB is sprinting towards the flats during every Chiefs offensive play.

It's getting worse, too. Either he's spooked or he's just too weak any more. Also, that first Charles fumble against the Broncos was a hundred percent Smith's fault. He dropped it to Charles with two linebackers within a few steps so it's no surprise bad things happened.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

tyrann mathieu NFC DPOTW. he is good

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I could be DPOTW if all I had to do was jump Kaepernick routes

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

I could be DPOTW if all I had to do was jump Kaepernick routes

:thurman:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is KC's secondary still going to be poo poo even with Sean Smith coming back?

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dallas Thomas:

https://vine.co/v/eQvYwBxpr7L

GFY Philbin.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kalli posted:

Yeah, the Mendoza line is probably like, Josh McCown level.

Yeah. Mendoza batted right around .200, and a .200 batting average (now called the "Mendoza line") is somewhere between "bad" and "loving BAD".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fenrir posted:

Yeah. Mendoza batted right around .200, and a .200 batting average (now called the "Mendoza line") is somewhere between "bad" and "loving BAD".
Specifically it's the line between "bad" and "you can probably just grab someone out of the crowd who can do better than this"

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

So it's the Clausen line?

Real: The Dalton line was a stupid comment someone said that if your QB is better then Dalton he is a franchise QB, if worse you need to find a new QB.

Dalton is a good QB, but he is just wildly inconsistent.

But bad? Nah.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

MacheteZombie posted:

It'll be a little bit better, losing Gaines sucks though

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

MacheteZombie posted:

The main problem was our slot dude. The safeties and the other corners are good to decent. Gaines going down will hurt though.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Gaines was going to kick into the slot on formations with 3 CBs. Smith is an upgrade over Gaines on the outside, but we're getting roasted in the slot and will continue to be unless someone figures out how to loving play the slot or put a safety near there to help.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

JT Jag posted:

Specifically it's the line between "bad" and "you can probably just grab someone out of the crowd who can do better than this"

There are some exceptions:

Carlos Pena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Parmesan Basil posted:

The main problem was our slot dude. The safeties and the other corners are good to decent. Gaines going down will hurt though.

Also Sutton's scheme puts a lot of extra pressure on corners, so even an average corner will be loving stressed playing single man on whoever matches up across from him the entire game because Sutton insists on cover-0 blitzing all the time. It's why KC's defense magically turns to poo poo once a good QB isolates the weak corner in the sub package, because Sutton won't adjust to help the overmatched corner.

edit:

(those 3 guys are good Chiefs CBs from the distant past)

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 1, 2015

• Locked thread