Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The NFC East is so bad this year it killed nrr. RIP.

I probably would've died from last night's game if I hadn't drunkenly fallen asleep and forgotten to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
The Giants should be filthy on offense once Cruz becomes healthy right? Beckham, good Eli, and Cruz should be very, very good.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Chromatic posted:

The Giants should be filthy on offense once Cruz becomes healthy right? Beckham, good Eli, and Cruz should be very, very good.

depends a lot on health to be honest. They can't run the ball to save their lives but the last time Eli had WR's of this caliber (2011) he threw for 5000 yards and carried them to the superbowl with the worst running game in the league anyway. Obviously that's assuming Cruz can be something like 80% of the Cruz of old.

Their best lineman (Will Beatty) hasn't suited up yet this year due to a pec injury before OTAs but might come back sometime in October. And rookie Erick Flowers has looked awesome but missed tonight and parts of the first 2 games with an ankle injury that hopefully won't linger. If Beatty and Flowers can get on the field at the same time I actually think the Giants' OL might be above average for the first time in the last 5+ years. They might even be able to run the ball a bit at that point.

Game tonight went how I expected until the clowny 4th quarter bullshit came up. Skins' D played cover 3 and quarters all game and dared the Giants to either run (which they did to a blazing 3.1 YPC) or throw short, which Eli did most of the game. Couple drives died due to bad drops by Donnell and Vereen but on the whole the offense continued to move the ball well and stall out in the red zone like usual. Eli looked sharp as he has for most of the first 3 games.

They had a much needed Reuben Randle sighting. Dude still refuses to attack a ball in the air but if he plays like tonight and minimizes fuckups that's all the Giants really need. Just a dude who can exist and occasionally make plays against single coverage on the outside.

Defense still looks sketchy but with all the dudes who are missing on that side of the ball I can't complain too much. Spags is doing better than I thought he would with not a ton of talent.

Really the NFC East looks so lovely that the Giants are right in the thick of things. I don't think they're an elite team even at full health, but they do have some of the elements of a team that can get poo poo done in the playoffs if they get some guys back. Very wishful thinking though. Just glad they finally closed a game out.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
The giants look like they suck and everybody is injured but the division blows and there's just enough talent on the team that if they scrape their way to a division win and get healthy at the right time just like in 2011....

The pats could even come out of the AFC again. I don't think the giants voodoo strikes for a third time but it's nice to dream :unsmith:

e: suck is being too hyperbolic I guess. They look pretty good but mistake-prone on offense and mediocre-to-below-average on defense.

troofs fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 25, 2015

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Giants fans keep invoking the 2011 postseason I'm gonna be the one to die next

Bradshaw fumbled

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Menamino posted:

depends a lot on health to be honest. They can't run the ball to save their lives but the last time Eli had WR's of this caliber (2011) he threw for 5000 yards and carried them to the superbowl with the worst running game in the league anyway. Obviously that's assuming Cruz can be something like 80% of the Cruz of old.

Their best lineman (Will Beatty) hasn't suited up yet this year due to a pec injury before OTAs but might come back sometime in October. And rookie Erick Flowers has looked awesome but missed tonight and parts of the first 2 games with an ankle injury that hopefully won't linger. If Beatty and Flowers can get on the field at the same time I actually think the Giants' OL might be above average for the first time in the last 5+ years. They might even be able to run the ball a bit at that point.

Game tonight went how I expected until the clowny 4th quarter bullshit came up. Skins' D played cover 3 and quarters all game and dared the Giants to either run (which they did to a blazing 3.1 YPC) or throw short, which Eli did most of the game. Couple drives died due to bad drops by Donnell and Vereen but on the whole the offense continued to move the ball well and stall out in the red zone like usual. Eli looked sharp as he has for most of the first 3 games.

They had a much needed Reuben Randle sighting. Dude still refuses to attack a ball in the air but if he plays like tonight and minimizes fuckups that's all the Giants really need. Just a dude who can exist and occasionally make plays against single coverage on the outside.

Defense still looks sketchy but with all the dudes who are missing on that side of the ball I can't complain too much. Spags is doing better than I thought he would with not a ton of talent.

Really the NFC East looks so lovely that the Giants are right in the thick of things. I don't think they're an elite team even at full health, but they do have some of the elements of a team that can get poo poo done in the playoffs if they get some guys back. Very wishful thinking though. Just glad they finally closed a game out.

I am pleased with our mini Polamalu in Unga....but I almost had a heart attack when Prince when to the sideline. Beason's presence was felt this game but we still can't play the seams or the flats for poo poo.

Today's win was really good but we aren't going to be able to dink and dunk against every team in the nfl. Cruz if he comes back at a real capacity will allow us to do a lot more things on offense and thats good.

One win at a time.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

@MichaelDavSmith
Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy and RG3 all have exactly 23 career interceptions.
Cousins: 514 attempts
McCoy: 831 attempts
RG3: 1,063 attempts

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Kirk Cousins is bad and it makes me so happy.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

How many of those QBs will be on Washington's roster next year?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
NFC East is trash and I am Real Sad that nrr died. :smith:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think the funniest possible outcome is if Weeden is actually watchable at QB because he's playing behind the OL of the gods and gets 30 seconds a play. Basically 2007 Derek Anderson it up. Then some moron GM overpays him and he instantly turns back into a pumpkin because he's 100 years old and makes his reads in geological time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I smell a new Washington QB!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

commy gun posted:

Kirk Cousins is bad and it makes me so happy.

Been saying this since preseason.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

That Works posted:

Been saying this since preseason.

Been saying since...huh, hard to keep track of time in the abyss.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ozu posted:

@MichaelDavSmith

@MichaelDavSmith
Kirk Cousins: 23 career interceptions in 514 pass attempts. JaMarcus Russell: 23 career interceptions in 680 pass attempts.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kalli posted:

@MichaelDavSmith
Kirk Cousins: 23 career interceptions in 514 pass attempts. JaMarcus Russell: 23 career interceptions in 680 pass attempts.

:chanpop:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kalli posted:

@MichaelDavSmith

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i'm so close to finishing.

The Giants continue to be a bad team that's incapable of consistent execution. I'm willing to blame a lot of that on injuries, hopefully things get better when all of the players are back.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Quite honestly, if the Giants could have avoided one of their stupid-rear end meltdowns in the first two weeks, I'd be pretty happy with their performance to this point.

Not sure they're good, but they're decent, which is better than I thought they'd be coming into the year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

@MichaelDavSmith

In case anyone was wondering that puts Cousins at #8 overall for fewest attempts to 23 interceptions since 1980.

The only guys ahead of him I even recognize are Tom Tupa and Alex Van Pelt. I guess I've heard the name Don Strock, who managed to throw 25 picks in just 448 attempts.

e: Man scrolling through that list and it's just a QB dumpster fire + a few guys who were kind of ok in a backup role like Matt Moore and Damon Huard.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 25, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Remember when people were saying that Kirk Cousins was so bad last time he got benched for Colt McCoy and we heard lots of stuff about how he's worked on his game / his upsides?

:lol:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

The only guys ahead of him I even recognize are Tom Tupa and Alex Van Pelt. I guess I've heard the name Don Strock, who managed to throw 25 picks in just 448 attempts.

e: Man scrolling through that list and it's just a QB dumpster fire + a few guys who were kind of ok in a backup role like Matt Moore and Damon Huard.

Note that Tom Tupa was a punter and backup QB who was thrust into the starters role for the Cardinals in 1991 and put in a very, very bad performance.

Then he stuck around as a punter for another 13 years.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

axeil posted:

NFC East is trash and I am Real Sad that nrr died. :smith:

New av is awesome.

That fumble in the Giants end zone left me laughing for like a minute straight. NFC East is real bad.

Brannigans Law fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 25, 2015

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Gruden hates RG3 so much he is willing to play Kirk Cousins every single game.

That's a kind of hate that's dedicated.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
"We got the best QB in since Peyton, and we will flip Cousins for a 1st round pick....maybe twooooo 1st round picks" - Skins fans, 2012ish

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kalli posted:

@MichaelDavSmith

Now that's knowing how to qb an offense!!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Note that Tom Tupa was a punter and backup QB who was thrust into the starters role for the Cardinals in 1991 and put in a very, very bad performance.

Oops I just realized staring at Ryan Leaf's 36 interceptions (on 14 TD passes) that it doesn't mean Cousins was the 8th fastest to get there with that criteria. I'm not sure if there's a way to make PFR search for least attempts to 23 since the beginning of their career or not.

My god Leaf was amazingly bad. He doesn't make Jamarcus look good but there's really no argument about who was worse.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ozu posted:

@MichaelDavSmith

It really makes me happy when stupid coaches get the exact result everyone but them could see coming.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
god jay gruden's stupid fat face makes me angry

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

NC-17 posted:

It really makes me happy when stupid coaches get the exact result everyone but them could see coming.

Up next: Mike Pettine discovers the true value of veteran poise.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Brannigans Law posted:

New av is awesome.

That fumble in the Giants end zone left me laughing for like a minute straight. NFC East is real bad.

Aw thank you.

Didn't you used to have an av? What happened to that?

I honestly think projecting 7 wins for the division winner is being a bit too bullish on the East. I wanna see a 6-10 winner and if it's not the Eagles I want it to be the Giants and have them win the Super Bowl. Again.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Why not just watch RG3 continue to stink it up?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gotta start Kirk Cousins because he throws interceptions in a pro style offense better than RG3.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

Tom Tupa was the emergency QB for the Jets when Testeverde popped his Achilles G1 1999 against the Pats. He proceeded to throw 2 TD passes with a 16.5 Y/A.

Rick Mirer, in comparison, threw 2 INTs with a 2.5 Y/A. Rick Mirer was a worse QB than a punter.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Listening to sound bites from Gruden's post game, "Kirk was fine." Looks at interception where he throws it right to a Giants DB. Checks out.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
whatever. rg3 still sucks but he costs more if he gets hurt. Its cool that this'll lead to another week of "gruden picked the wrong qb!!!!" That's totally dope. Rip nrr, if only you were able to see chip get fired.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

John Brown posted:

Why not just watch RG3 continue to stink it up?

I think it's because Gruden was brought in as an "offensive mind" and someone who could RG3 to play like the QB he could be.

He has since learned RG3 is bad, and Dan Snyder is worse.

By not playing him, when Snyder cans him he can throw up his hands at the next round of interviews and say "Look at what I had in Washington! Our best QB was Cousins!" And he can go back to being an O coordinator for 5 years.

Edit: Also the money / injury thing.

Gruden has literally no reason to play RG3 fired or not fired.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

RG3 isn't good, but he's definitely better than anything else on the QB roster in Washington. They could've ridden him into the ground if they hadn't picked up the option, but since they did, they'll tank and end up winning whatever QB we're all supposed to be excited about in next years draft.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The option is only guaranteed for injury, correct? So if they've decided they want to move on from him after this year, not playing him is definitely the smart thing to do, no matter how much worse the alternative players are.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I'm glad we won but I still came away from last night thinking the Giants still suck. We almost had another 4th quarter meltdown and if Reuben hadn't caught that TD we'd have been in serious trouble. Then Randle went and almost hosed up two separate onside kick attempts, one saved by Vereen, one saved by a good bounce.

We still have no pass rush whatsoever, I know we were missing Ayers but it's still pathetic. A better QB would have picked us apart, Cousins had loads of time but still missed wide open receivers.

It was nice to see OBJ is still super human, and seeing Randle do things is nice, but Randle had a game and will now go into hibernation for two, as Randle does. Fells is a better TE than Donnell, Larry Donnell can't catch a loving ball or hold onto a ball when he does catch it, everytime he touches it I wince and await the sweet embrace of death. Last night he caught a pass and did the weirdest move I've ever seen anyone do when expecting contact. https://vine.co/v/exm2XrtP73F

The O-line is better than I expect it to be for all the injuries and shuffling we keep having to do. Eli is mitigating it somewhat by being extremely quick with his releases, but they've protected him better than expected (expected was really bad). Eli is having a decent start, 4 TDs isn't a lot but he has yet to throw a pick in 3 games, which might be an Eli record.

Run game sucks but that's par for the course after like half a decade of this. The Giants run game sucking is almost as cannon now as having no linebackers.

Linebackers are meh. Unga has 2 INTS (both off of tips) but good QBs have picked on him a lot because he's slow in the brain in coverage. Kennard is quick but hasn't been as impactful as hoped. Landon Collins looks like he could one day be pretty drat good, so I'm happy with that pickup. Him and Meriweather have held the safety situation down better than expected, but they are still not great.

The one thing I am genuinely impressed with is the Run defense. our run D is legit. Skins came in with the best Run game in the NFL (for two weeks but still) and we shut them down and never let them do Skins ball (Run the opponent into submission and minimize how many times Kirk throws).

Looking at the rest of our schedule I'm glad we are playing the NFC south because the AFC east is going to kick our rear end.

• Locked thread