Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ArbitraryC posted:

Actually if you stopped being disingenuous for two seconds and read the previous sentences in that very paragraph you'll see that I hint at something that is both another reason (meaning you're "purely" symbollic line is a flat out bald face lie wrt to what I said, there was literally a second reason in that very post) and something that strangely seems to be referencing a woman's perspective might prioritize different issues, the exact point you're trying to pretend I don't believe in because you're being an annoying person.

I bundled timing and enaction of policy in with 'policy' because I assumed you'd view 'policy' and 'policy enaction' as the same thing. I apologize. You still haven't answered why you view the differences in perspectives of men and women in other areas as symbolic.

ArbitraryC posted:

Maybe I was subtly hinting that policy is the important part that has the biggest impact on the most people?

So? I'll ask again, simpler; why do you think women should cleave to your standards and reasons for voting? And why is it 'disappointing' when they don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

this is also why, as a christian and firm believer in traditional family values, im voting for a guy whose job is standing in the surf at the beach screaming racial epithets at the waves

That's my dad. He's tall.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

No, and I haven't said anything to suggest that it would, or that I would believe it did. The fact that people keep dodging questions and bringing up odd, irrelevant tangents tells me that people here probably aren't arguing in good faith, like me.

So what's the point of voting for someone to the right of Thatcher on poo poo that affects women like free health care?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
tall is a good quality for presidents to have. its lets them better admire the sweeping vistas of liberty.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

rscott posted:

So what's the point of voting for someone to the right of Thatcher on poo poo that affects women like free health care?

What's the point of democracy at all?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

What's the point of democracy at all?

To distribute political power in the most ethical way possible

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

rscott posted:

And how is that ethical distribution of power best achieved?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

liberty, she whispered,

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

rscott posted:

its actually to make $$$fat stacks$$$

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I think we can agree, at least most of us, that the policies Bernie Sanders is advocating for will be objectively better for women, who are more like to be below the poverty line. So there has to be some universal intrinsic quality to being a woman that transcends all notion of class and ethnicity (this I don't doubt) and that quality must be a benefit to governing a nation to such an extent that it outweighs the benefits mentioned above. Given Hillary's connections to the upper echelons of capital in this nation, and her habit of adopting positions based on political expediency I find it hard to accept that as true. So yeah, it would be disappointing as a leftist to see the primary decided by something like that.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dan Didio posted:

with a gun

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

I bundled timing and enaction of policy in with 'policy' because I assumed you'd view 'policy' and 'policy enaction' as the same thing. I apologize. You still haven't answered why you view the differences in perspectives of men and women in other areas as symbolic.
I'm not answering it because I already implied I did believe that (e: that the difference in perspective is important) and certainly never said anything that indicated I didn't believe that. I find it to be an offensive leading question that's very transparently trying to imply something about me and I think that's a lovely debate tactic.

quote:

So? I'll ask again, simpler; why do you think women should cleave to your standards and reasons for voting? And why is it 'disappointing' when they don't?
I think policy is more important and would find it disappointing if people ignored it in favor of voting for someone because of their gender or ethnicity. Bernie and Hilary have (afaik) identically progressive policies wrt women's issues and I genuinely believe that when women's issues overlap with economic issues (such as healthcare covering birth control, paid maternity leave, welfare for single moms), Bernie is going to have his hands much less tied down than Hilary will. I was a big Jill Stein fan in 2012 and understand why people (women in particular) would want a woman in the white house, but at the same time stuff like the debate moment where Hilary differentiated herself from Barrack with her 'obvious' line to huge cheers left a bad taste in my mouth. If women's issues are the stuff that you want to decide your vote then I think instead of saying "I want a woman in the office" you should be saying "I want someone who will push forward the most progress for women in the office". There are a lot of poor single mothers out there (I was raised by one) and it is my respectful opinion that bernie will do far more for than hilary will. You can disagree if you want, but I would find the disagreement disappointing if the only justification was 'because I'm a woman and she's a woman'.

ArbitraryC has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Oct 16, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
are you really having that hard a time understanding why women might prefer, out of two candidates with identical positions on a particular issue, the woman

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

are you really having that hard a time understanding why women might prefer, out of two candidates with identical positions on a particular issue, the woman

In a vacuum, no, in this particular context, yes.

e: well not so much that I don't understand but that I would personally disagree with the reason

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hillarys been a public figure on the topic of womens issues for a long rear end time. shes immediately more recognizable on the issue than sanders. even if sanders positions offer more comprehenisve solutions, hillary still has more cultural clout on the issue and people are going to instinctively cleave to her.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

hillarys been a public figure on the topic of womens issues for a long rear end time. shes immediately more recognizable on the issue than sanders. even if sanders positions offer more comprehenisve solutions, hillary still has more cultural clout on the issue and people are going to instinctively cleave to her.

To me this is a flaw in the system I guess.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

To me this is a flaw in the system I guess.

public perceptions of candidates are frequently not rooted in concrete fact *touches your forehead and awakens your third eye*

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

public perceptions of candidates are frequently not rooted in concrete fact *touches your forehead and awakens your third eye*

And is it wrong of me to find this disappointing? We've gone full circle.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Unless that particular issue is electing a woman to a white house for its own sake, yes because economic issues affect women disproportionately, unless this is saying women might prefer Clinton over Obama which I don't think is a bad thing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

And is it wrong of me to find this disappointing? We've gone full circle.

u must have boundless faith in humanity to still be disappointed in it by this point

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_dACIrQi0

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

ArbitraryC posted:

In a vacuum, no, in this particular context, yes.

e: well not so much that I don't understand but that I would personally disagree with the reason

Here's the thing, they may be thinking having a woman represented in the most powerful position in the world will trickle down to more success for women candidates at all levels in the future which will lead to more politically powerful people very aware of and in tune with women's issues. I don't know if I agree with that argument, but the point is they aren't just voting for her because all else being equal they prefer a woman. They think this woman will, in the long term, do more for them than Bernie even if his political positions are slightly better. There is a lot more to politics than having the right positions, be disappointed by that all you want, but it's always been that way and is never changing.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Oct 16, 2015

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Veskit posted:

I don't think you really have any authority to make this claim.

I'm genuinely curious as to why a black person would be happy about Obama's presidency so far. As far as I can tell he's done nothing to alleviate the problems that black people face in modern America and plenty to make those problems worse.

I don't feel like an 85% approval rating doesn't mean poo poo when you consider that 90% of all people are stupid as poo poo regardless of their skin color.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ChairMaster posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to why a black person would be happy about Obama's presidency so far. As far as I can tell he's done nothing to alleviate the problems that black people face in modern America and plenty to make those problems worse.

I don't feel like an 85% approval rating doesn't mean poo poo when you consider that 90% of all people are stupid as poo poo regardless of their skin color.

We're in bad shape when blacks are satisfied with the Democratic Establishment mantra of "we'll keep you happily on welfare" vs. the Republican Establishment mantra of "we'll take away your welfare"

How about, you know, bringing everyone out of poverty?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

ChairMaster posted:

Basically, there is no black person who has the slightest difficulty picking up on the racism in the Republican stonewalling of Obama.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

Basically, there is no black person who has the slightest difficulty picking up on the racism in the Republican stonewalling of Obama.

I have a number of relatives who don't like him but will defend him to the death if any white people are within earshot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

We're in bad shape when blacks are satisfied with the Democratic Establishment mantra of "we'll keep you happily on welfare"

It's amazing that you believe this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

closing this thread since its really no longer about the debate any more and the dem primary thread exists for the rest

• Locked thread