Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This one isn't a graphical bug but in Dragon Quest VI, theres a job system where growth is determined just by number of battles won so your actual level and job level weren't tied together. To make it so people didn't grind slimes forever to artifically boost their job level past the relative level of the enemies you were fighting, they put caps on each area. So if the cap of an area was 12, if your actual level reached 12 you'd stop gaining progress on your jobs until you fought tougher enemies, which all makes sense. The bug is that in the ocean they either didn't apply a cap or purposefully left it empty so you could grind levels forever against slimes as long as they were on the ocean floor. I spent a lot of time sitting in the ocean whistling and using the autobattle tactics to grind out jobs while watching something else on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i like it when the guy floats into bed in call of pripyat which seems to be pretty often

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Ghost of a Tale I somehow got one of the rat guards I knocked out to perpetually be alerted by me and his body would glide across the floor on its back chasing me all over the place making it impossible to hide and break the chasing notification etc. I'm not sure how that happened but it was pretty funny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I never caught video of it because I was playing the PC version but in MGSV I did some goofy poo poo where I initiated the "throw a guy off a ledge while you're on a ladder below him" animation while he was about to descend the ladder himself and he got stuck in place in the air and the sound of him screaming wouldn't stop looping and it eventually set off an alarm because other guards could hear it lol. I tried killing him but he wouldn't die

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In DQV you can make the protagonist walk on water if you use a certain spell to teleport in a port town after the ship that you used to get there leaves. You can go out of bounds too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

really like the mk ones

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Talking about STALKER in the difficulty thread reminded me of one of my favorites, where you prime a grenade before jumping into a portal cut scene. Strelok throws the grenade since he's not supposed to be doing anything in the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tGvj4B9_00

What people discovered is that that one scene is a completely different copy-pasted bunker, and they animated Sid's body double for that scene as a unique character without any AI, so when you blast the doppleganger he gets stuck hovering in the air like in the video. They also found out that the original Sid is incapable of performing his double's animation, because he is grafted to his chair.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 22, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Also this UFC series is great. There's three or four videos where they commentate on the bugs as they happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOT_3U4rZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X0H709cJkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZSat_quXwk

Commoners fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 22, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In one of the Afghanistan missions in Alpha Protocol if you walk down a set of stairs too fast you'll start aiming your gun off to the side for some reason. You're still facing forward but your arms are contorted 90 degrees to the right.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

in morrowind most speedruns use the 1.0 version because if you set weapons that gave stat bonuses to your hotkeys and pressed the hotkeys real fast over and over the effects would stack infinitely and you'd end up with like 100000 speed and go so fast you can run through walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY&t=996s
also this wwe 12 glitch where a bot gets knocked way out of the stage and slowly walks back in before his model goes nuts as it hits the edge of the ring

the whole vid is filled with glitchy items that give you super speed for no reason, it's a mess of a game and it's fantastic

mbt fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 29, 2016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Do hidden dev messages count or should that be a separate thread

https://tcrf.net/Hot_Wheels:_Velocity_X_(Game_Boy_Advance)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Woah http://tcrf.net/The_New_Tetris

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

47] Commercials that are SO bad on tv, you have to wonder about the sh1t for
brains who thought them up. Like the Old Navy commericals, or the old as hell
commercial for Sarah Lee, that is STILL ON THE AIR, 'let them eat cake' and 'But
Patrick, I'm to old for life insurance.' Shoot them ALL!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
gamedevs are insane. :wth:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I was a tester for The New Tetris on the N64. There was a crash that I could reproduce every time, which would display a dump of the registers just before locking up. You had to power cycle the N64 to get it to go away: even the reset key was unresponsive.
Version after version, the developer said the bug was fixed, and version after version I reproduced it. Closing in on the shipping deadline, the developer had to close out all crashing bugs in order to ship. (Testing is done by Nintendo even on third-party games, and Nintendo has to approve it.) But this bug would just not go away.
The game also had some unrelated secret codes you could enter to unlock various things. One day I joked that the developer should replace the hex dump screen with a screen that says "Congratulations! You have discovered a secret code! Turn your console off and back on, then enter the username HALUCI." So he did. And that's how it shipped.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

"I was a tester for The New Tetris on the N64. There was a crash that I could reproduce every time, which would display a dump of the registers just before locking up. You had to power cycle the N64 to get it to go away: even the reset key was unresponsive.
Version after version, the developer said the bug was fixed, and version after version I reproduced it. Closing in on the shipping deadline, the developer had to close out all crashing bugs in order to ship. (Testing is done by Nintendo even on third-party games, and Nintendo has to approve it.) But this bug would just not go away.
The game also had some unrelated secret codes you could enter to unlock various things. One day I joked that the developer should replace the hex dump screen with a screen that says "Congratulations! You have discovered a secret code! Turn your console off and back on, then enter the username HALUCI." So he did. And that's how it shipped.

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

frank.club posted:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I think I have that exact game so I wonder if I can get that screen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

New Tetris was a pwnage Tetris game I liked building all the world wonders

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

New Tetris was a pwnage Tetris game I liked building all the world wonders

yeah that is sick, but I have like 2 left on mine iirc

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

I am leaving H2O after this project to work at 3DO.

:mrwhite:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

David Pridie aka "Martial Artist" (aka "martist") was one of the programmers who, sadly, died a few years after this game was released
he's dumping his hex in heaven now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

frank.club posted:

hahahaha

• Locked thread