Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Diff threads were talking about interesting bugs and I figure people could share some insane stories of weird crap throughout history. Examples that made me start the thread:

In Training posted:

I found out why the frame rate was loving up: if you turn the display off on your Gamepad (Wii U Pro Controller here) the game freaks out and keeps doing a check to see if the Amiibo is there and the longer you play with the pad off the worse it gets.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The PC version of BO2 has a glitch that causes the program to crash after every campaign mission of you have less than 100 steam friends.

and I'm sure there's many many more for people to share and some I will remember later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
There was a glitch for Lufia 2 on SNES where if you did the right stuff in the menu like moving an item to a certain spot in your inventory and going into the equip screen and backikng out and stuff like that it would make all of your characters level 0 and have m,axed out stats and poo poo and I used that to beat a hard boss I was stuck on. I was a child without foresight though, and as a result my save file of 40 odd hours was destroyed

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This, from Heavy Rain. My video:

https://youtu.be/OJOOGla2zRU

Ethan gets stuck in the couch and vibrates in place.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 29, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fallout 3 and NV on the PS3 barely functioned at their best, but the constant Havok physics bugs were amazing. NPCs would randomly stretch hundreds of feet in the air, turn into balls, and bounce away.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

There was a glitch for Lufia 2 on SNES where if you did the right stuff in the menu like moving an item to a certain spot in your inventory and going into the equip screen and backikng out and stuff like that it would make all of your characters level 0 and have m,axed out stats and poo poo and I used that to beat a hard boss I was stuck on. I was a child without foresight though, and as a result my save file of 40 odd hours was destroyed

Haha cool. Was it worth it? Did you at least finish the game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fallout 3 and NV on the PS3 barely functioned at their best, but the constant Havok physics bugs were amazing. NPCs would randomly stretch hundreds of feet in the air, turn into balls, and bounce away.

I watched a lp of new Vegas where they shot someone in the legs with vats, then they flew up in the air up to the sky box only to be sniped again by the player. So funny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

In a similar vein some of the visceral attacks on Bloodborne can get screwy if you initiate them near walls or corners. Here's a pic of me after I started a visceral on paar and got suddenly launched at a high velocity directly into the ground and broke through all the geometry:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't realize at the time how easy it was to share stuff from PS4 or else I would have saved the video

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

the gothic games had a button dedicated to looking behind you while continuing to run, for some reason. if you did this while jumping in 3, you'd just kind of keep flying up and forward until you stopped looking back. really makes you think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MiF posted:

the gothic games had a button dedicated to looking behind you while continuing to run, for some reason. if you did this while jumping in 3, you'd just kind of keep flying up and forward until you stopped looking back. really makes you think.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In vanilla dark souls II if you were looking through binoculars and rolled for some reason all your animation speeds would be like 5x faster and you would zip across the world like sonic the hedgehog

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Haha cool. Was it worth it? Did you at least finish the game

It sent me on an insane power trip murdering every limp dick slime and skeleton I could find, but it wasn't worth it cause it's a long game and losing my save so far into it made me never want to try again. It's an awesome game and I haven't played it in years so I'll probably give it another go eventually.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

In vanilla dark souls II if you were looking through binoculars and rolled for some reason all your animation speeds would be like 5x faster and you would zip across the world like sonic the hedgehog

this glitch and the one where if you rolled over an enemy correctly after you parried them and it let you run around in midair and clip through the geometry were really fun to play with. I practiced speed running the first few hours of the game using those techniques and it was good

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
In dota2 if you scroll your view over a particular mountain on the edge of the map it makes the screen back out and greatly increase your field of view. It's from how the engine handles height changes and it stays that way as long as you only move the screen by scrolling and it's extremely advantageous.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
In starcraft if you hold position a Protoss Observer on top of a constructing Terran Missile Turret, when it finishes it won't be able to shoot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Majora's Mask had a weird bug where if you have two save files and one of them is riding a horse, if you load the other one it will put you on a horse regardless of where you were

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
In Zelda ocarina of time you can get into the shadow temple without Din's Fire by moving fast enough and skipping the cutscene trigger at the temple entrance with the gate and the ring of torches

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

In Zelda ocarina of time you can get into the shadow temple without Din's Fire by moving fast enough and skipping the cutscene at the temple entrance with the gate and the ring of torches

I assume you need to be using that high speed bomb bounce trick or whatever to get enough speed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Super Mario 64, if you stand at the base of the spiral staircase between Floor 1 and Floor 2 and simply double jump, you'll be at the top of the stairs, saving nearly 1.5 seconds of time.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Iirc you also unlock Ganondorfs castle after getting just the shadow and spirit medallions because the game doesn't check for the other 4 it just assumes if you have the last ones you did it all

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

In Super Mario 64, if you stand at the base of the spiral staircase between Floor 1 and Floor 2 and simply double jump, you'll be at the top of the stairs, saving nearly 1.5 seconds of time.

i found that glitch all by myself back during mah childhoods and spent 20 minutes performing it over and over again

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

I assume you need to be using that high speed bomb bounce trick or whatever to get enough speed

I think it's a specific backwards jumping sequence because that's the fastest form of default movement

e: there is also an insane back flipping multi jump trick jump you can do with hover boots to get over the gerudo fortress wall and to the spirit temple out of sequence

fuck. marry. t-rex fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 29, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid Prime has a funny issue with the spider ball tracks, usually you need the spider ball to go up them, but, if you walk really close to the left hand side of the track, you'll just zip up it

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

rediscover posted:

the fitting punishment for a dirty cheater

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In ocarina of time, if you get the silver gauntlets as a kid before becoming an adult by doing some weird walking along the level geometry poo poo at Gerudo fortress then getting through the desert without the lens of truth, and after that steal the fishing rod, you can do a glitch with an empty bottle that gives you badass black gauntlets that have the power of the golden gauntlets.

You can also get 3 other colors, but you can only get black if you don't have any strength upgrades at all. For some reason getting the silver gauntlets doesn't count if you're still a kid. I got them once.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 29, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've always liked red dead redemption loading the wrong skins and models into memory for animals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVXyKP1FVk

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm gonna try and explain this the Best I can, because it only ever happened to me once, and I could never reproduce it.

In castlevania symphony of the night, the creature that is half plant and half woman that spits stones that turn you into stone. Well one time instead of the usual stone form alucard, it transformed me into a giant demon with wings in stone form. As far as I can tell that model isn't used elsewhere, and maybe I just imagined or dreamed it. But I remember it well. So weird.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
In Goldeneye on the N64 if you strafe with c and use the stick at the same time you get speed from both and go double fast or w.e

Also the classic golden eye 'get down' cart jiggle glitch
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm gonna try and explain this the Best I can, because it only ever happened to me once, and I could never reproduce it.

In castlevania symphony of the night, the creature that is half plant and half woman that spits stones that turn you into stone. Well one time instead of the usual stone form alucard, it transformed me into a giant demon with wings in stone form. As far as I can tell that model isn't used elsewhere, and maybe I just imagined or dreamed it. But I remember it well. So weird.

This is the worst creepypasta I've ever read!!!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

It's just a cool thing that happens, like rare stone kirby transformations in kirby super star.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

In Goldeneye on the N64 if you strafe with c and use the stick at the same time you get speed from both and go double fast or w.e

Also the classic golden eye 'get down' cart jiggle glitch
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

You could cart wiggle your way out of Kokiri Forest in OOT, I wonder what other games had weird skips and effects with proper wiggling

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Eagle posted:

It's just a cool thing that happens, like rare stone kirby transformations in kirby.

I've only seen it once. It must be really rare

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo. Here it so. So cool looking

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Black Baby Goku posted:

yeah, it's pretty cool. it's meaningless, and has like a 1 in 300 chance of happening, but if freaked me out the first time i saw it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

Holy poo poo. Here it so. So cool looking

that looks badass

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also this came up in the games dark souls thread recently, but sometimes the game will glitch when it's loading the audio track for firelink and play random poo poo instead, like the gaping dragon entrance cinemetic audio :pwn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4RWpy2tvKQ

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've only seen it once. It must be really rare

I've always thought that it's alucard's true form that he never reveals.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alucard is Dracula backwards

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Eagle posted:

I've always thought that it's alucard's true form that he never reveals.

That's badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pointless RNG poo poo that becomes legends over time, FTW

• Locked thread