Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Delphi sounds pretty good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Omobono posted:

Delphinus doesn't fit, does it?

Delphi

Skies of Arcadia references always welcome. And I'm glad this is back, too!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Argent Cinereus posted:

I'm good with this, but only as a reference to EcoQuest 1

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Argent Cinereus posted:

I agree with the name, both as the intended reference to Skies of Arcadia and as reference to the Oracle...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A... foodapult?

I guess if you're sustained by ore you have to do something with all that salt pork.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Glad to see this back! :3:

I like Delphi, it's a good name.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Looks like Delphi is in it to win it, but for some reason naming the ship the Jewel just feels right.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

If the land based guild is Skybound, the then sky based ship should be Landbound... no, that's 9 letters.

Delphi, just to go with the flow.

I am surprised but happy to see this has been brought back. Hopefully it won't take 10 months to get the next update.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

BlazeEmblem posted:

If the land based guild is Skybound, the then sky based ship should be Landbound... no, that's 9 letters.

I like this train of thought, the airship should be named Boundless, even if the character limitations are there we all know what it really means. Maybe Butterfly just started doodling the name on the side and ran out of space.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Skyship

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Alright, I'm gonna call it here. It's pretty certain at this point that Delphi is the name of our ship.

I'm graduating this week so I'm going to be a bit busy, I'll try and have the next update out by next week though. I don't want to get stuck with months between updates again.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Cool thread, I really enjoy SSLP's of the Etrian Odyssey games!

Also this thread convinced me to put Junpei on ignore!

Voted 5

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Tempest

Glad to see this back as well.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

So hey, I have a partial update written, but I heard the autoarchiver is working again for the forum... So I'm just posting to make sure it doesn't fall into the archives for now. I'm gonna try to have the update out this week.

Sorry I'm so bad at this whole LP thing.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Update 5: Delphi

-------------

: Hm...

: Darn, it doesn't fit.

: I guess it isn't boundless.

: Snrk... Hehe, here. I've got one.

: There.

: ... "Delphi?"

: The name of an oracle mentioned in an ancient scriptures they dug up from the maze beneath High Lagaard's Yggdrasil. I'm not... entirely sure why, but it seemed appropriate.

: Well I like it!

: "I'd explain the controls, but yeh'll learn faster if yeh try it out. Yeh can outfit it at the city gates.

: I'd really rather learn the controls.

: "Which reminds me, yeh got a piece of kit from the Outland Count right? Yeh can equip it on your skyship. Come by the wharf when yeh're bored and I'll let yeh guys have some other equipment no one else is using.

: Old, beaten up gear?

: Free is free.

: "I'll explain what I mean when yeh stop by. I'll be waiting!"

So we've unlocked the ability to fly around the overworld in our skyship. Before we do though, we're going to go back to town. The Cargo Wharf has opened up so we can take a look there, and there's some new bar conversations to go over.

: Ah, there you guys are! We finished up with the Explorer's Guild.

: We're registered to y- Oh hey, is that your skyship?

: Yep! The Delphi.

: Nice name! You mind if I get her set up to fly? It'll be a little bit.

: Go right ahead. We can take a trip around town before we take off.

: That's awfully convenient.

: I ain't gonna lie, that's the second time I've seen her smile since I met her.

: Oh?

: Yeah, only other time I've seen Isabel look at all like she's enjoyin' anythin' is when she's holdin' a guitar. She's pretty good, hasn't really made it though.

: It can be hard to make it as an artist these days.

: Yep. Ton of troubadors start showin' up and suddenly nobody is willin' to pay a decent wage.

: Oh hey, Let's stop at the Cargo Wharf first!

: "The wharf is where Tharsis opens up to the outside world... Many a merchant comes here to trade. Explorers come and go as the pleasye, too, seeing as this is where we fix up their skyships.

: Hopefully the Delphi will never need it.

: "Oh, speaking of which, let me give yeh this before I forget."

: Heck yes, buried treasure!

: "It'll help to have clues to find some of it, but yeh'll have to ask your fellow explorers about that."

: Always a catch.

: You're probably the only one here that thinks "asking other explorers" is a catch.

So welcome to the Cargo Wharf. Guild card trading returns in this game, however it uses the 3DS's StreetPass functionality and is a lot simpler this go around. With it active simply walking nearby someone who has it turned on will exchange cards.

The options are pretty straightforward. Manage Guild Cards is where we can look at the guild cards we've recieved or change our own.

Our inbox is empty for now. We need to turn on StreetPass before cards start showing up.

Looking at our own guild card, we can see we don't have anything really of note yet. Along the bottom we'll get marks for accomplishments as we proceed through the game. It lists your current party and some stats about your guild, including the name of your skyship.

Hitting Y, we can flip it over to another menu which allows us to customize it. For other guilds, flipping the card allows us to see what character they have set on the card, and recieve their treasure map.

: Hm...

When a character is set to the card you can look at their status. If you have another guild's card, and their set character is below your highest levelled character, you can recruit a copy of that character.

: That looks better!

We can also pick a treasure map to share. I'll explain what these are when we get to the skyship, but for now we don't really have access to many. The way to get more, is of course to recieve them on guild cards.

I mostly change it just because everyone has Sharp Lands to begin with, so if I StreetPass someone they'll get something different.

You can also export your QR code to share online to get more guild cards. The one displayed is Skybound's currently, and I'll keep posting them as we go along.

After changing your card, it'll ask you to confirm you actually want to change it.

This setting just allows us to read QR codes using the external camera. There's a bit more to it than just guild cards I'll go over later.

We can turn StreetPass on or off, check our save file's Player Code (I don't think it's actually used for anything?), or generate Extra Data. EOIIU uses EOU's Extra Data to generate Grimoires based off your party members, but I don't believe any of the future titles ues EOIV's.

StreetPass isn't on by default so I turn it on for the future. We'll probably only see my guild card though, as I don't take my recording 3DS out.

Before we go, let's see what Ciaran has to say.

: If yeh get results, I bet that'll shock them into shape. I have high hopes for yeh! Good luck!

: So none of the other guilds have had much success.

: They've probably got bad maps. Good map makin' is the basis to any good explorer.

We've still got some conversations I skipped over last time to go to. After this update, any town updates with bar patron conversations will have them at the end.

--------

: Quite the boat ride from High Lagaard yes.

: I'm actually from a small town nearby.

: Well, while you are here in my city, feel free to think of it as your Hometown.

: Thank you for your hospitality.

-------

: With shining colors.

: But don't let it get to your head. You've just reached the starting line. Don't neglect your training.

-------

: Now, shall we start over? Welcome to the Dancing Peackock. I hope we will be fast friends, Skybound Guild.

: I hope so too. We'll try to get to the quests quickly!

There's a fuckton of new bar conversations now.

: Have you fought that damned monkey? The Angry Baboon on B1F of the Lush Woodlands? It's the number one killer of rookie explorers in this town! You can't just swing at it blindly!

: Sounds dangerous...

: If you're gonna take that thing on don't skimp on defense! You might even wanna think about running away! Because if you die, that's all she wrote! Bwahahahaha!

: We'll... er, keep it in mind.

: It looks like you finished your mission. Then let me teach you a few more advanced tricks.

: It would be wise to hone our senses.

: Every explorer has some "monster sense," whether it's well or poorly developed. The monster's presence, its breathing, or just the sound of it breaking a twig as it walks, all give it away. That's why you should pay conscious attention next time one approaches. It'll give you a sense for the timing.

: What about the monsters that move around?

: You've only seen the Nomad Baboon at the Old Forest Mine so far, but that kind of enemy is everywhere. They're damned tough. It's usually best to just run away... but even that takes some know-how. Some monsters don't care about you, they're just following their path. And some will actively chase you.

: Yeah, FOEs can be a real pain in the rear.

: It sounds obvious, but different types of monsters have different patterns or senses, so you can't generalize. But if you learn to anticipate their moves, you should start to figure out how to get an advantage.

I missed the third option while recording, but I've got the text right here.

: We don't really -need- help.

: No? Well, learning on your own is one way to do it. You sure don't forget the lessons you learn the hard way. If you ever change your mind, come and ask me. I'll be here for a while.

: You cleared the mission from the Outland Count? Then you should get started taking requests. Request rewards are an important source of income for explorers. The system's win-win for everyone. You can even build experience doing them, if you need to train a bit. Check the quest board when you can.

: Yeah, Kirtida told us about that.

: Heh. Me, I just come here every so often to check out the barmaid.

: I... Er, okay.

: Be very careful of the tornadoes you come across. Come into contact with one and you'll lose all your food... The loss of food before anyone has had a chance to taste it is a tragedy no one should have to bear. Better to throw it to the kangaroos wandering the land! They enjoy vegetables, I happen to know.

: It leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth to feed the wandering FOEs though.

: Well... Ebony Carrots don't have any other use but to lure those kangaroos away. You can even scatter them as bait.

: Only the Xylem is poisonous anyways. You take those out and you can eat 'em. Gotta have a skilled knife doin' that though.

: Hail, explorers. Take a seat and have a drink, why don't you? An explorer's curiosity certainly is insatiable... If they have an errand, they'll even head out at night. Since you seem to just be starting out, let me give you a fair warning. Be careful when exploring at night. You're likely to run into terrifying beasts you don't see during the day. It takes some getting used to.

: We'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

EOIV does this to a much lesser extent than other games do, but encounters vary between night and day.

: To survive in the labyrinth, you need to know your limitations. If you have any questions for me, don't hesistate to ask. I'm usually here, too.

Sophie acts as our tutorial. If you talk to her again she can go over basics that have already been explained.

: Oh, what do you want to know?

: I think we're fine for now.

-------

: Er, we actually haven't flown it yet.

: I'm a Tharsis girl, born an raised, so skyships ain't no big deal for me. But explorers from outside all flip when dey try it. I love seeing da looks on their faces!

: I guess we'll come back after we try it out then.

--------

: Good for you! Now you can go out on your skyship to gather food. Oh, but silly me. I should be cooking you dinner to celebrate!

: I hate to turn down food, but we really gotta get going. We have a skyship to ride!

: Yeah, Isabel should be done prepping the thing by now.

--------

Next time, we actually get away from the town and back to gameplay.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 11, 2017

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Anyone tell you that you haven't updated the table of contents?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

No, and I completely forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'd say EO4 has more nighttime exclusive encounters, but that's because the game does this weird thing where only one formation changed at night. (Old Forest Mine has an encounter formation that consists of a Grasseater and Roller at day, which changes into 4 Grasseaters at night.) Though if there are actually enemies exclusive to nighttime, it does change up the enemy formations significantly. No idea why the game does the minor changes, as they're almost pointless. None of the other games do something like that (Especially EO1 and 2, which couldn't implement time of day exclusive encounters.) Though mechanically, EO4 does quite a bit differently than the Komori directed games.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, huh. Monster bait! That's a pretty neat wrinkle.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

We shall explore and get punched by kangaroos!

Even if kangaroos should be better at kicking than punching but whatever I guess.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tyty, I would like to formally apologize for my earlier rudeness. I shouldn't butt in to things I have no knowledge of.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I hate to post without an update but I uh, need to keep this thread alive. I don't want this to end even if it's taking me forever.

The plan is, now that I'm almost out of tutorials I'll have to do less transcribing so it should take me less time to update. I'd like to do the skyship update (the next one), fix the Landy profile, and then finally start the labyrinth in the next update after this one. We'll see how it goes after that... I'm not really sure when I want to mix up the party again.

Sorry I'm so bad at this

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's fine.

Relax and update at your own pace.

Enjoy playing the game with us :D

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Update 6: White Fortress Chronicles: Origins

: Ready to go now?

: Yep, I think we've handled everything.

We haven't, I forgot one thing, but we'll get back to that shortly after the skyship tutorial.

At the departure screen we can pick a land, a cave, or change our equipment. Lands are essentially the strata of this game. This'll make more sense once we're out there. Caves allow us to start directly from the smaller caves we can visit, like the Old Forest Mine from the tutorial.

Of course, we have some equipment we can use. Normally you can only drop food below you, but the Foodapult allows you to launch it in front of you. I normally use the dowsing rods, but I plan on showing those off a bit later. They're a part of the streetpass Treasure Map system.

: You guys got the Foodapult loaded on?

: Yeah. Bit heavy but we got it.

: We -should- be using the dousing rods.

: We can look for treasure once we've got our sea- er, air legs.

Foodapult equipped we're ready to explore. Later on we'll get more slots, and there's a couple equips that... Well, I end up not using.

We only have one available to us. The first "Stratum," the Windy Plains.

Each land has a nice little shot like this using both the top and bottom screens. They aren't animated like EO3's and the don't use multiple layers like EO5's but they're nice enough.

I love this shot, framing Yggdrasil in the background like that. None of the other EO games really do this with their tree, though I guess you can see it on the island sailing around Armoroad.

As you would expect from the Windy Plains, strong gusts of wind blow across the skies. Some of the stronger winds seem likely to sway the Delphi from her course...

: We appear to be rocking a bit.

: It's fine. The area around here is always a bit turbulent... Not quite the calm skies of Etria.

But you will never reach it without understanding how to control your skyship. You review the controls...

: Butterfly, you said you wanted to learn to fly this thing? Come over here.

: Oh! Yeah, I'll be right over.

This describes food. It's not super informative, but it's there. The food isn't worth much to sell and unless you're using the skills, neither really are the stat buffs you get from it. There's other effects on some food items though that are very good.

: Wait, that's the guide? It was all about food.

: Not a very good manual I guess. I'll just show you the controls as we fly around.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's labelled controls, but they're mostly the same as walking around in a labyrinth.

You could head straight for the natural labyrinth, but it might be wise to have a look around first. But be on your guard. Encounters with monsters and tornadoes could cost you your lives.

The blurb isn't lying. The FOEs out here are stronger than the baboons in the Old Forest Mine, and are stronger than almost anything we'll see inside caves and labyrinths. Basically, you'll only be ready to fight them once you're practically done with the Land, and even then there's exceptions.

Tornadoes just knock you out, they send you back to town and you lose all the food you've gathered. Some party members might end up dead but most end up with barely any HP left.

: This doesn't look too bad actually.

: Yeah, you just have to make sure you're careful with the flame and you don't take the corners too sharp, or you'll toss everyone else around. These things can move in all directions so it's better to stop and turn or strafe.

I just fly around a bit before I remember what I'm missing. It really is just like walking around in a labyrinth, just without random encounters.

If you try to go past the edge of the map, it tells you to stay in the area.

: May I look at the map while you're busy flying?

: Oh, sure!

You also have a map exactly like the sailing in EO3, and the dungeons. You have three colors of line, and I use them to mark the walls of different elevations. We can't go up yet, but we'll be able to go over some of the cliffs later. FOEs and food are marked on the map, as well as labyrinths and caves.

: We've got some birds in the nets!

Food has a chance of being rare just like gathering, and these chances are better on tiles where the food icon is golden. There's three tiers of each food in each land, a common one, an uncommon one, and a rare one.

Since we have the foodapult equipped, our food menu has a 3rd option to launch the food.

To the east and west are high mountain ranges, far too tall for your skyship to fly overhead.

Visibility is close to nil in the ravine. To brave it with your skyship would be far too dangerous.

: Yeah, I'm not taking a chance on that.

To the side of the forest is the same stone monument that was next to the ravine. It seems too coincidental to ignore... There may be some connection between the ravine and the Lush Woodlands.

: Should we investigate?

: It's probably better to explore more. You can never be too prepared.

: Bet you couldn't have hit a bullseye from up here.

: Pffhahaha, d-don't you dare question my aim!

Here are the normal and rare animals for Windy Plains. Animals tend to increase strength.

And this is about the point where I remember that I missed something back in Tharsis.

Here's the aforementioned tornadoes. They have their own icon.

And here's the common fish.

: That's a very large kangaroo.

: It's lookin' mighty riled up with us.

These are Bounding Beasts, and they're the major threat on the first part of the overworld. They use the kind of AI where once they've seen you, they'll chase you around one tile at a time. Once the map is a little more complete I'll mark down their patrol patterns. They're not super threatening though. They can't cross water, so you just have to go over the river to avoid them.

: There's a cave up ahead.

: Oh, hey, that's the Old Forest Mine!

There, you met the travelling adventurer Whirlwind, who gave you a blank map and survival advice. You cannot say for certain that there is nothing left to discover there... Perhaps you should visit it again?

: I'll mark it down.

We'll go back once we can handle the FOEs there. There's not really any other reason to just yet.

: You want to go back?

: Yeah, I just remembered there's something we forgot to do before flying out.

Food sells automatically when you return. It's not much but it can help you pick up some early medicas and is usually enough to pay for an inn stay.

What I ended up forgetting was talking to the Count about the quest he placed. We can't really start it until talking with him.

: Are you familiar with kapoks? That tree is not grown for food, but for its several other uses.

: Yes, its seed fibres are used like cotton.

: Interesting.

: Rumor has it that it's somewhere on the northern side of the Windy Plains. The A-2 region sounds likely. Oh, I'm sorry if my terminology is confusing to you. Do you need an explanation of maps and coordinates?

I don't think it really needs to be explained. It makes sense just by looking at the map. Columns are numbers, rows are letters. There's an internal grid as well, but for vague directions like this it's relatively straightforward.

: Nah, it seems pretty straightforward.

: Oh, my apologies. Of course this is basic information for explorers.

: Of course, if you know them already, do not hesitate! Let's have them!

I know where they are already, but for the sake of the quest we'll go to them. They're the only forest tile in A-2.

: So what'd you guys forget?

: We took a quest for the Count and forgot to talk to him about it before leaving.

: Ah, yeah, sometimes clients will have special stuff they want you to do so you gotta ask 'em.

There's actually a couple quests we can handle on the overworld right now, so before we go poking around in caves and labyrinths, I'll go tackle them.

The common vegetable of the Windy Plains. Carrots are what lure the Bounding Beasts.

: Wasn't there a quest to drop off food somewhere?

: Oh yeah. We should go do that.

: Another skyship. Do we want to pull close enough to communicate?

: Yeah, sure.

Its sails are a deep blue. The figure aboard the skyship notices your coming and emerges from the gondola. You mark him as a man clad in steel armor, who bows politely to you.

This is Kirjonen, one of the two NPCs flying skyships around the field.

: Oh, yes. A pleasure.

: How do yo-

: "How do I know of you...? Oh, I am familiar with most of the explorers of Tharsis.

The game really can't decide sometimes.

: No, we haven't come across that type of fish yet.

Should you find a Sakura Trout at some point, you can present it, possibly for some sort of reward.

This is the mechanic of the two NPCs on the overworld. They'll ask for a rare version of one of the foodstuffs that can spawn in that land, and you get a reward for delivering them. We're going to want to do both of these per land at least once (and probably more for the first one here at least) but for now we just continue on.

As always, I like to label everything.

If you mean to fulfill the request, it is best that you drop the food off at the soldiers' location.

: Let's drop some fish off.

After checking the contents, they signal you, satisfied. They seem pleased with the food. The request is now complete! You can turn it in the next time you find yourself at the bar.

If we hand in a rare food (besides the ebony carrots) we'll get an extra two medicas but... I honestly didn't know about that! It's not too big a deal. Next, the kapoks.

You can almost hear the rustling of the trees thick with large, glossy, green leaves. This is the fabled kapok grove! You must simply mark its location so as not to forget and report to the Outland Count to fulfill the request!

: I'll mark it.

Relatively simple. The Count has a couple quests like this for us throughout the game. Some get a bit more vague; however.

Lastly before entering the labyrinth proper, there's two more caves to visit and mark on the map.

: Another cave up ahead.

There are brightly colored fruits on the trees; many animals seem to flock here to feed on these fruits. You grow excited to think of what manner of exotic beasts you may encounter in this forest.

: Marked it down for later.

Each land has a couple caves in it. The general pattern of progression is cave -> labyrinth floor -> cave, etc. This does get mixed up a bit later in the game. This one is about what we would tackle after the first floor of the labyrinth, It's a little dangerous right now.

: You sure about this?

: I can see a cave in the distance over there. We have to check it out.

Our last stop is guarded by some kangaroos.

The game is pretty kind here though. There will always be a spawn of vegetables in this spot.

: Okay, it sees us. Any other ideas?

: The Beasts Bound to roots like moths to a flame.

: Wha?

: Use the foodapult!

: Oh look, they can smell it already.

: We best be movin' while they're distracted.

Its reflection of the surrounding flora is even more beautiful than the real thing, piquing your curiosity. If you could slake your thirst from those clear waters, the exhaustion of your travels would surely vanish.

: Okay, now we need to get out of here.

: Erm-

: Great, we're dead.

I thought there was a shortcut this way. Whoops.

There's plenty of carrots though, so I can weasel out of it, though I do so almost entirely from luck.

They return to their patrol pattern after being lured before they chase you, so we line them up like this, throw another carrot, and slip by.

The shortcut I was thinking of is over here. They function exactly like the ones in labyrinths.

: Oh, come on!

: We have one more carrot left.

Right behind this thing we get an uncommon vegetable.

: Another skyship ahead.

: Let's talk to them too.

She is clad lightly for one who sails the skies. There is a long sword on her waist.

: "It's good to meet you. My name's Wiglaf. You might not have guessed it, but I'm an explorer too.

: We couldn't tell, it's not like you have a sword half as tall as you or anything.

: "And you are...?

: Oh don't mind him, we're Skybound.

: Ah, so you're the Skybound Guild."

: "By the way... do you happen to have any Black Tauruss?

Atlus didn't account for words ending in S here, I guess.

: "I've been looking so long, but I can't find any... If you pick one up, will you share it with me?"

Same as with Kirjonen. We don't have any, and have three days. I'll get to it eventually, though sometimes the food spawns can be a bit rude. These two come out at 8 AM and will stay out in the land they spawn in for three days, or until you deliver something for them.

: If we find one we'll bring it along.

: I think that's everything interesting we can get to for now.

: Then let's get to the labyrinth!

You see a stone monument at its entrance that looks clearly man-made. Who built it here, and why? You wull never know the answer unless you step into the maze... You steel yourself to begin your explorations.

NEXT TIME:

: AAAAAAAA

Tyty fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 15, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

If you give the soldiers rare food, they dance happily and you get 2 extra medicas in your reward.

Don't give them ebony carrots though. Those are poisonous. The other rare food. Sakura Trouts, Golden Geese, Black Tauros.

Also, a F.O.E joining in a fight, the bane of exploration.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Hah, I was actually unaware that that quest has varying rewards. I'll make an edit, thanks for pointing it out.

Four times through the game and I've only ever dropped off normal food. :v:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Do they die if you give them carrots

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

SC Bracer posted:

Do they die if you give them carrots

I don't know. Ebony carrots are poisonous so why would you give them that.

You might not clear the quest. I've never tried.

Tyty posted:

Hah, I was actually unaware that that quest has varying rewards. I'll make an edit, thanks for pointing it out.

Four times through the game and I've only ever dropped off normal food. :v:

Well, the golden food is better, so you're going above and beyond the request.

This is also true of any of the gather over world food quests. If you have an option between the normal and the rare, and patiently gather rare stuff, you get more rewards.

Of course in this quest, the 'extra reward' is worth less than the money you can sell rare food for, but it's up to you. The soldiers celebrate, so I thought it was nice.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
You don't get an extra reward if you give them Ebony Carrots. Instead, if you go over the square with the soldiers again, you're treated to a scene where they attack your ship with arrows.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Grashbar posted:

You don't get an extra reward if you give them Ebony Carrots. Instead, if you go over the square with the soldiers again, you're treated to a scene where they attack your ship with arrows.

That's magical. :allears:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Grashbar posted:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's magical. :allears:

Wow. I guess that is expected. But seriously, that's pretty interesting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I was curious about that, so I grabbed the text out of the game.

quote:

You pack the [FOOD VARIABLE] in a wooden crate and lower it to the soldiers. They eagerly open the box. After checking over the contents, they hang their heads in obvious disappointment... However, the request specified that you deliver food, and that you have done. The request is now complete! You can turn it in the next time you find yourself at the bar.

quote:

Welcome back. You had no trouble delivering the food, I take it? Then here is the promised reward. Perhaps I should have you find some food to serve at my establishment... By the way... you should know that the food you delivered made the soldiers take ill and cut short their journey. I wonder what happened...? If you are explorers too, you will have to manage your health better than they did.

quote:

You can see smoke from the soldiers’ campfire as they cook the food... As you steer your skyship past, you see something fly by you! It is a smattering of arrows! You look below you to see the soldiers drawing their bows and aiming the next volley at your skyship. They seem to be angry about something. You quickly veer off before the irate soldiers hit you.

I have no idea if that actually does anything to your party members or the ship.

Doing this actually lowers the reward to 2 Medicas and 100 exp per party member.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have no idea if that actually does anything to your party members or the ship.

It doesn't. It's entirely cosmetic text.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know if I could resist picking a fight with them fierce killer rabbits.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Haha that is actually pretty fantastic, I never realized they thought through the quest outcomes to that extent.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

We can turn StreetPass on or off, check our save file's Player Code (I don't think it's actually used for anything?), or generate Extra Data. EOIIU uses EOU's Extra Data to generate Grimoires based off your party members, but I don't believe any of the future titles ues EOIV's.

Yeah, EO5 doesn't make use of EO4's extra data. Also as far as I can tell, the extra data just a copy of the player's save data. So either something grand was planned for it (Unlikely), or it was made for a "just in case" sort of thing. (Very likely)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Glazius posted:

I don't know if I could resist picking a fight with them fierce killer rabbits.

You can absolutely pick a fight with them killer rabbits!

As like as not they'll live up to their name, but you can do it! Most of the people I know made it a point to down at least one during the demo (which had a level cap of 10 and cut off just past where Tyty's at now, I think?). Just watch out for that hook and you'll be fine*.

*disclaimer: you may not actually be fine

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

vdate posted:

You can absolutely pick a fight with them killer rabbits!

As like as not they'll live up to their name, but you can do it! Most of the people I know made it a point to down at least one during the demo (which had a level cap of 10 and cut off just past where Tyty's at now, I think?). Just watch out for that hook and you'll be fine*.

*disclaimer: you may not actually be fine

Don't do it.

...well, save first, at least.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

tyty sprite the portraits update the lp

come on, man, I almost have more Midori updates than you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

So I've kinda been thinking about it for a while now, and I think I'm going to end the LP. I've been having a lot of problems with actually motivating myself to work on it. It's not that I'm not enjoying writing it, or going through and taking the screenshots, I'm not sure why. Regardless I feel like I'm kind of letting down some people with this, and I'd really like to apologize for that. The updates have been stretching really thin and honestly I'd just much rather end it than have it slowly take more and more time per update, or just die a silent death like the LPs of this series tend to. Maybe in the future when I can figure out why I have such a hard time actually motivating myself to work on things I'll start it back up again, but I honestly doubt it. Thanks for reading anyways.

Mysticblade posted:

tyty sprite the portraits update the lp

come on, man, I almost have more Midori updates than you

And I'm sorry I asked you to bump the thread for me, then went and did this. I was in the middle of writing an update at the time but, well, yeah.

• Locked thread