Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

A shitload of scholarly works, and you're right 'normal' is dumb. I mean political and secular, rather than simply 'god wants me to'.

Here are a few papers to get you started:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10576100801993347

This one analyses how political ideals become 'sacred' even though actual religious tradition doesn't support them, and how nationalism and perceptions of humiliation at the hands of the West were predictive:

http://groups.psych.northwestern.edu/medin/documents/GingesAtranSachdevaMedin2011AmPsyAuthor.pdf

This is a great book analyzing the separatist movement in the Philippines and, among other things, noting that nationalism is not a real motivating part of the discourse there, but instead reactions to historical political positions

This book is a good single source about the sociologial motivaitions for terrorism:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Lutz3/publication/46293362_Democracy_and_Terrorism/links/5450ef090cf24e8f7376ac58.pdf#page=130

I'm not saying that there aren't other causes for their behavior, but I think its also irresponsible to ignore how much impact religions DO have on behavior. Even if you're right that its secular reasons, if the people themselves are doing it for what THEY consider to be religious reasons, doesn't it stand that we should address those religious reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

I'm not saying that there aren't other causes for their behavior, but I think its also irresponsible to ignore how much impact religions DO have on behavior. Even if you're right that its secular reasons, if the people themselves are doing it for what THEY consider to be religious reasons, doesn't it stand that we should address those religious reasons?

What you said makes no sense in the context of these works. As usual, you're just talking about poo poo you're totally ignorant about. For one thing, the people aren't doing it for what they consider to be religious reasons, but political ones, is one of the main themes that's found throughout. So go ahead, actually challenge yourself and read a book.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

What you said makes no sense in the context of these works. As usual, you're just talking about poo poo you're totally ignorant about. For one thing, the people aren't doing it for what they consider to be religious reasons, but political ones, is one of the main themes that's found throughout. So go ahead, actually challenge yourself and read a book.

So when people claims to say, blow up abortion clincs in the name of god or self destruct themselves with shouts of "Allahu Akbar", it isn't religious at all, its purely political? For them?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

So when people claims to say, blow up abortion clincs in the name of god or self destruct themselves with shouts of "Allahu Akbar", it isn't religious at all, its purely political? For them?

Does that book say that? This is the best single-source one, remember:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/46293362_Democracy_and_Terrorism#page=130

It's all freely available right there, and it's well-written.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Does that book say that? This is the best single-source one, remember:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/46293362_Democracy_and_Terrorism#page=130

It's all freely available right there, and it's well-written.

I wasn't disputing the books, they're likely good pieces of literature.

It just sounded like you'd be rushing in "whoa whoa whoa, buddy, you're not REALLY blowing yourself up for Allah. You see, there are a myriad of political, cultural, economic, and social issues that have led up to you even considering Allah! Therefor, you're not REALLY doing this in the name of religion. Now please turn to page 35 of the selected works so we can go over your regions history and really drill down here" *tosses aside Koran*
"See, it wasn't because of Islam!"

Granted thats hyperbole, but I was pointing out that you can't just stiff arm the "did they do it for religion" question which it sounded like you were willing to do.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

You were, actually. You'd know this if you read it. Why don't you? You're interested in the subject, right? Why not spend the time reading a well-argued and sourced book?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm reading the Bad Jesus right now. No time.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Jastiger posted:

It just sounded like you'd be rushing in "whoa whoa whoa, buddy, you're not REALLY blowing yourself up for Allah. You see, there are a myriad of political, cultural, economic, and social issues that have led up to you even considering Allah! Therefor, you're not REALLY doing this in the name of religion. Now please turn to page 35 of the selected works so we can go over your regions history and really drill down here" *tosses aside Koran*
"See, it wasn't because of Islam!"

Granted thats hyperbole, but I was pointing out that you can't just stiff arm the "did they do it for religion" question which it sounded like you were willing to do.

Yes. People are often blind to the societal, political, and economic forces that affect their decision making.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Obdicut posted:

This one analyses how political ideals become 'sacred' even though actual religious tradition doesn't support them, and how nationalism and perceptions of humiliation at the hands of the West were predictive:

http://groups.psych.northwestern.edu/medin/documents/GingesAtranSachdevaMedin2011AmPsyAuthor.pdf

this rocks, thanks

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

I'm reading the Bad Jesus right now. No time.

So basically, you don't have time to learn about the subject, but you do have time to talk about it.

Zas posted:

this rocks, thanks

The book is really good, too. There's another one that goes into the 'sacred values' thing deeper, but I can't find it. That paper makes the argument that vengeance is the 'original' sacred value, that some idea of 'balancing' or 'mirroring' is one of the main human motivations and we don't really have a word for it. We call it vengeance and justice and vindication and lots of other words, but for the central emotion that powers it, we don't really have a name.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Would 'destiny' work?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cracker King posted:

Would 'destiny' work?

I don't think so, because it doesn't depend on an idea that things are 'supposed' to be a certain way, it's a weird idea of equilibrium that we need to achieve by wild, savage swings of a pendulum.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lame Devil posted:

Yes. People are often blind to the societal, political, and economic forces that affect their decision making.

I agree, but I thought we didn't want to be in the business of defining peoples motivations for them, thus the Islamophobia topic. I Think its a tough issue for sure.

Obdicut posted:

So basically, you don't have time to learn about the subject, but you do have time to talk about it.

Pretty much

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Pretty much

At least he's honest.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone mentioned the Thirty Years War several pages ago. It's worth noting that this war was actually a proxy war for a dynastic conflict between the Bourbon (French) and Hapsburg (Spanish and Austrian) monarchies.

The situation with Germany in that war closely mirrors Iraq and Afghanistan today. In all of these cases, external intervention (French and Swedish for Germany, Soviet and American for Afghanistan, just American for Iraq) undermined the countries legitimate secular power structures.

With central secular power de-legitimized, social order rests on religion because it is the next biggest piece of society. If it were then possible to totally de-legitimize religion, then rather than seeing paradise emerge as everyone abandons magical thinking, you instead see society seize hold of the next biggest source of authority.

At each stage of this disintegration, a society manifests social friction as violence. As a society is forced to rely on less universal sources of authority for its organization, more people die.

If you smite Leviathan, Popes and Ayatollahs fill its place. If you smite Popes and Ayatollahs, there are geographical and customary associations and then varying degrees of kinship ties that are all that sits between any society and a return to a Hobbesian war of all against all.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cracker King posted:

Would 'destiny' work?

Let's call it the motive of némein: "to give what is due." It's not so much the traditional conception of "destiny" (as in, a thing that is meant to happen), but more a sense of repaying acts in kind. When someone does good to us (or a proxy of our identity, such as our society, our religion, etc.), we feel motivated to do good back to them; when someone does evil to us, we feel motivated to strike back with evil deeds in turn.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Have some more fun Islamophobic over-reaction:

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/18/its_the_clock_kid_all_over_again_a_12_year_old_sikh_boy_is_the_latest_victim_of_racist_terrorism_paranoia/

I'm guessing all these Americans who are frightened of Sikhs would be simply paralyzed by fear if they ever visited Toronto or Vancouver.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
As the parent of a now 10 day old child if I wrote down a list of the 100 things that concern me most about her future the direct threat of terrorism or Islam would not be on it. We could have another 911 tomorrow and that would remain true.

Terrorism isn't a real threat to Americans. Period. It's a nuance. It's going to continue to exist and it's going to continue to kill people. But statistically it doesn't register as a relevant threat.

Note that this opinion isn't based on any whitewashing of actual existing terrorists. They're evil and deserve to die and it doesn't bother me that we kill them with drones and bombs (the practicality of that as a policy is a separate debatable issue).

But they're weak. If they were strong they'd be attacking us directly with actual military resources but they're not so they resort terrorism out of necessity. That's what terrorism is - inherently weak.

The republican rhetoric which elevates it to the level of a primary issue might as well be declaring that the sky is purple. It's wrong, dangerous and disturbing at every level.

It's also self-defeating and inconsistent. If they're actually a threat then they're strong or we're weak. Neither should be true and our reaction to their acts is exactly what they want. Measured and thoughtful response to a threat is the strong response and obviously the one we should be taking.

That the current [over]reaction is being driven by a fearful, ageing, declining demographic is no surprise. Let's hope for their quick death and decline. They're the threat.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

asdf32 posted:

As the parent of a now 10 day old child if I wrote down a list of the 100 things that concern me most about her future the direct threat of terrorism or Islam would not be on it. We could have another 911 tomorrow and that would remain true.

Terrorism isn't a real threat to Americans. Period. It's a nuance. It's going to continue to exist and it's going to continue to kill people. But statistically it doesn't register as a relevant threat.

Note that this opinion isn't based on any whitewashing of actual existing terrorists. They're evil and deserve to die and it doesn't bother me that we kill them with drones and bombs (the practicality of that as a policy is a separate debatable issue).

But they're weak. If they were strong they'd be attacking us directly with actual military resources but they're not so they resort terrorism out of necessity. That's what terrorism is - inherently weak.

The republican rhetoric which elevates it to the level of a primary issue might as well be declaring that the sky is purple. It's wrong, dangerous and disturbing at every level.

It's also self-defeating and inconsistent. If they're actually a threat then they're strong or we're weak. Neither should be true and our reaction to their acts is exactly what they want. Measured and thoughtful response to a threat is the strong response and obviously the one we should be taking.

That the current [over]reaction is being driven by a fearful, ageing, declining demographic is no surprise. Let's hope for their quick death and decline. They're the threat.

I forget the quote but it goes something like: For Fascists the enemy must be both strong and weak. Legion yet scattered. Ineffective yet fear inducing. Thats how you get yourself elected, by painting a schizophrenic view of your enemy in order to get people upset and worked up about it.

Maybe it was 1984 or something?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jastiger posted:

I forget the quote but it goes something like: For Fascists the enemy must be both strong and weak. Legion yet scattered. Ineffective yet fear inducing. Thats how you get yourself elected, by painting a schizophrenic view of your enemy in order to get people upset and worked up about it.

Maybe it was 1984 or something?

Umberto Eco.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

PT6A posted:

Have some more fun Islamophobic over-reaction:

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/18/its_the_clock_kid_all_over_again_a_12_year_old_sikh_boy_is_the_latest_victim_of_racist_terrorism_paranoia/

I'm guessing all these Americans who are frightened of Sikhs would be simply paralyzed by fear if they ever visited Toronto or Vancouver.

Part of fighting terrorist is to ignore them. Terrorist are like "internet trolls" and do it for the mass media attention.
When you do "a scare" like this principal and the police, you are helping the political agenda of the terrorist. The principal and the police here helped the terrorist agenda, without the intervention of the terrorist. Is pretty dumb, and useless.

This is not about ignoring any warning. But about correct reply and balance.

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 21, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tei posted:

Part of fighting terrorist is to ignore them. Terrorist are like "internet trolls" and do it for the mass media attention.
When you do "a scare" like this principal and the police, you are helping the political agenda of the terrorist. The principal and the police here helped the terrorist agenda, without the intervention of the terrorist. Is pretty dumb, and useless.

Finally something I actually agree with.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tei posted:

Except the correct response was literally nothing, because it was a 12 year old child with a backpack that had an integrated cellphone charger. It's not a matter of ignoring terrorists (though your point is correct in general), it's a matter of acting like you have some semblance of a functioning brain. They put this kid in juvenile detention for 3 days. I don't see how you could have made a less rational response to the situation than that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

PT6A posted:

Except the correct response was literally nothing, because it was a 12 year old child with a backpack that had an integrated cellphone charger. It's not a matter of ignoring terrorists (though your point is correct in general), it's a matter of acting like you have some semblance of a functioning brain. They put this kid in juvenile detention for 3 days. I don't see how you could have made a less rational response to the situation than that.

The kid had a heart condition so it's lucky they didn't tazer him.

What the gently caress is wrong with the police?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ddraig posted:

The kid had a heart condition so it's lucky they didn't tazer him.

What the gently caress is wrong with the police?

Between the police, the juvenile detention people, and everyone at the school, it's amazing that not a single person went "HEY! GUYS! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY hosed AND YOU'RE ALL CRAZY!"

How can so many people all be so completely moronic?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

Between the police, the juvenile detention people, and everyone at the school, it's amazing that not a single person went "HEY! GUYS! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY hosed AND YOU'RE ALL CRAZY!"

How can so many people all be so completely moronic?

If you're in a position of authority at a school and dismiss a threat as "eh, it's probably nothing" and ignore it or turn it away with only a cursory investigation, and it turns out to be something serious, people could possibly be injured or killed and you and your organization will definitely get your pants sued off. If you treat it seriously and it turns out to be nothing, you've inconvenienced some people and can blame the whole thing on someone else. It's the reason stuff like swatting works.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Main Paineframe posted:

If you're in a position of authority at a school and dismiss a threat as "eh, it's probably nothing" and ignore it or turn it away with only a cursory investigation, and it turns out to be something serious, people could possibly be injured or killed and you and your organization will definitely get your pants sued off. If you treat it seriously and it turns out to be nothing, you've inconvenienced some people and can blame the whole thing on someone else. It's the reason stuff like swatting works.

The fancy name for this is 'regret analysis' and it's the worst kind of decision-making but unfortunately dominant because most systems hang people out to dry if they gently caress up.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Obdicut posted:

The fancy name for this is 'regret analysis' and it's the worst kind of decision-making but unfortunately dominant because most systems hang people out to dry if they gently caress up.

What kind of legislation would help alleviate this end of the problem? The other end of course being the absolutely insane police response of holding a child for three days without informing the parents.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Main Paineframe posted:

I agree. I think it also comes from an uncertainty of who bears the burden of investigation. Is it the teacher's responsibility to check the veracity of claim? Or the principal's? Or the police's? In this situation it seems the teacher should have looked at the bag to understand the misunderstanding, but I wouldn't place the burden of investigation on the teacher if the claimed bomb was inside the student's locker.

When confronted with a serious task, without clear authority to resolve it, people report up.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As an aside, why do western countries use ISIS instead of Daesh to refer to the eponymous group? It seems weird considering it's already a formal practice to refer to Burma as "formerly known as Myanmar" as to show the military coup's illegitimacy, why not do the same for ISIS/Daesh?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

As an aside, why do western countries use ISIS instead of Daesh to refer to the eponymous group? It seems weird considering it's already a formal practice to refer to Burma as "formerly known as Myanmar" as to show the military coup's illegitimacy, why not do the same for ISIS/Daesh?

It could be any number of reasons; a lack of clarity to people who don't get understand the label (and having to explain it), the unexplained shift in language used, or most likely, the potential for undermining the threat (supposed or real) of the group by lampooning them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It could be any number of reasons; a lack of clarity to people who don't get understand the label (and having to explain it), the unexplained shift in language used, or most likely, the potential for undermining the threat (supposed or real) of the group by lampooning them.

But wouldn't lampooning them by better than outright calling them "the Islamic State"? The latter only seems to rile up more Islamophobic hate crimes as people continue to see Muslims as a Fifth Column of said State.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

But wouldn't lampooning them by better than outright calling them "the Islamic State"? The latter only seems to rile up more Islamophobic hate crimes as people continue to see Muslims as a Fifth Column of said State.

"the islamic state" seems far too respectful for ISIS. The Swedish newspapers use Islamic State for reasons unknown, and it irks me to no end.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think NPR goes with "the group calling itself the Islamic State" sometimes, so you can be sure that's the pentagon backchannel-approved formulation.

e: also, cute backhanded refusals to call a group by its name have more punch when you actually stand a chance of defeating them.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 25, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SedanChair posted:

I think NPR goes with "the group calling itself the Islamic State" sometimes, so you can be sure that's the pentagon backchannel-approved formulation.

e: also, cute backhanded refusals to call a group by its name have more punch when you actually stand a chance of defeating them.

:raise: I mean, it's not like Mosul or even Raqqa is under threat, but they ain't exactly winning on either Iraqi front or Syrian Kurdistan, even with just our current modest air support and "whoops guess another truckful of guns fell off a plane".

I'd totally likea more commonly recognizable term than Daesh - or alternatively, for Daesh to become English-standard.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Is there a site keeping track of the various mosques getting arsoned in the US lately?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of bombs :ughh:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Original source bmw.blog

Did this even happen? It says it happened in melbourne but I havent heard anything about it.

e: clashdaily :catstare:

quote:

3 BLACK THUGETTES Find Poor White Man And Beat Him To DEATH

Did you hear about this one from the mainstream media? Of course you didn’t because it wasn’t about a white cop shooting a black man.

Lmao what is wrong with you, troika?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

ISIS/ISIL and Da'esh have the exact same meaning. Bickering about dumb acronyms is completely a non-question in my opinion and I doubt ISIS cares either way.

• Locked thread