Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The government doesn't want a draft because it would end our culture of military worship within a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
At the very least everyone should have to do Guard or Reserves. It would smother an entire generation of safe-space needers in a heartbeat

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

spacetoaster posted:

Like that's something new? lol

The deserts have eyes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Man, it's good that we have video games as the country's most effective recruiting tool so I never have to see a draft.

Man, it's great how the military provides an education and trades training that are transferrable into civilian life. Except if your in a combat trade of course, lol idiot.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Airborne Viking posted:

Except if your in a combat trade of course, lol idiot.

I guess you've never seen any American law enforcement?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
The baby boomers used to pretend to be gay to get out of the draft because they used to think gay men couldnt fight and would have sex with the straight soldiers. This wouldnt work now for obvious reasons but society has come a long way since then in understanding things like anxiety and autism spectrum disorders so maybe millenials could pretend to have those to get out of the draft

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Or prison guards.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I say draft me. I'll openly praise Satan while murdering innocent children and women in foreign lands. What do you mean publicity nightmare? !?

CuRvY G0oNeTTe
Oct 30, 2015

by Lowtax
Lipstick Apathy

a bay posted:

The baby boomers used to pretend to be gay to get out of the draft because they used to think gay men couldnt fight and would have sex with the straight soldiers. This wouldnt work now for obvious reasons but society has come a long way since then in understanding things like anxiety and autism spectrum disorders so maybe millenials could pretend to have those to get out of the draft

They still think that about gay people; it was only a few years ago they still had the 'don't ask dont tell' policy. The olds have destroyed society& now they gonna cost us big time w/ their health care costs which could go to far more productive uses than extending their depraved shameful amoral lives by a few months/years. Think they'll do the right thing, no of course not bc they satanists. So, in conclusion,

Oberleutnant posted:

throw all baby boomers into a furnace imo

CuRvY G0oNeTTe fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 3, 2015

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

The only draft any of us will be involved in is an MtG draft down at Sweaty Joe's Comic Cave.

lol, good post

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I would consider myself a solid second round draft pick in event of a GBS draft

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Bro Dad posted:

Or prison guards.
Combat trades do not train you to be good at these things, though I guess they both sometimes use guns

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 3, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Nooner posted:

I would consider myself a solid second round draft pick in event of a GBS draft

I'm only on the board for my special teams contribution

Airborne Viking posted:

Man, it's good that we have video games as the country's most effective recruiting tool so I never have to see a draft.

Man, it's great how the military provides an education and trades training that are transferrable into civilian life. Except if your in a combat trade of course, lol idiot.

I mean you can get them to pay for your college though

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Raku posted:

And there's a TON of soldier worship right now in the U.S.A. Military Service (no matter how small of an amount) is a huge plus on a resume.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Raku posted:

Actually that's a really good point. It's still to a greater benefit if you work a trade that has more transferable skills than combat ones, for they are normally specific to armed services only.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 3, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
also if you really want to milk Uncle Sam dry you should take up a specialized trade in the service

Look at how much they pay dental officers and then remember they also get the best pension/retirement on the planet

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Airborne Viking posted:

Actually that's a really good point. It's still to a greater benefit if you work a trade that has more transferable skills than combat ones, for they are normally specific to armed services only.

Logistics. If you do supply in the military you have a huge benefit in the civilian world. I have many friends who got out and now manage warehouses/distribution/etc and make bank.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtev86gNLYQ

Too latte, millennials!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Also with the minimum qualifications of running a mile and making your bed the army will officially make you better than 90% of single males on the market

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
sorry uncle sam i cant go i have a anxiety disorder :patriot:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I have titanium rods fused to my spine, I have to sit world war 3 out :smith:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i wont be drafted ever even though im young so i dont care :smuggo:

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
The real reason the draft needs to come back is it is the only reasonable check on the US bombing and invading everything it wants to because it is clear that money is not the limiting reagent

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
=

take the moon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 4, 2015

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
fyi we still have the draft. every 18 year old has to register for selective service.

govt has everyone's number. it has simply declined to call volunteers. it could do so at any time, however. it's not illegal.

edit: anyone who did pacifist poo poo during vietnam had their careers in any private industry permanently hosed.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 4, 2015

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
draft is a thing where i live but you can do a year of civil sevice at the red cross or various other ngos instead if youre a pacifist. my time at the red cross was p. cool and i got to know one of my best friends there. we were basically baked 24/7 helping old ladies to their doctors appointments lmao. i also got to help a tourist lady get a fishing hook out of her calf. how it ended up there in the first place i will never know.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 4, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Daedra posted:

I have titanium rods fused to my spine, I have to sit world war 3 out :smith:

nah when ww3 comes theyll just strap some motors to you and you can be in the cyborg battalion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mdm posted:

The real reason the draft needs to come back is it is the only reasonable check on the US bombing and invading everything it wants to because it is clear that money is not the limiting reagent

lol, yeah. Because the draft was so fair and the rich served along side the poor. :classiclol:

• Locked thread