Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Just to clarify the draft that Im talking about is the process of recruiting people into the United States armed forces, whether they are into it or not, that was stopped a long time ago. The draft is generally considered to have been a bad thing when the "baby boomer" generation had to go through it in Vietnam which was the worst war to be in from what I have seen and heard. People hated the draft back then so much that they protested and eventually got rid of it. But many people have now proposed bringing back the draft as a way to give young people an opportunity to find maturity and inner toughness or some thing like that which they are supposedly lacking. Personally I think it seems kind of silly to give people access to helicopters and tanks and stuff like that and then still make them go to gym class basically but I am willing to hear out both sides of this discussion before I decide that bringing back the draft would be gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
im a sensitive and cool and creative guy but ill be the first too say id love if they gave me a helicopter or tank to drive around in and fight people with :shrug:
maybe the baby boomers just complained enough because they're sissies and vietnam wasn't so bed at all. who knows

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well it's the only way we'll ever get universal health care in a non-retarded form so maybe it could be good for that?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

we should have a gbs draft then both teams have a big post-off

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I have a draft for ya

http://youtu.be/-VN2KRxTdjE

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I think I'm too old so I'm all for bringing it back. Also, you can't dodge by going to college unless you are a STEM or Women's Studies major

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Boomers complain about every loving thing

• taxes
  • war
  • millennials
  • peace
  • government overreach
  • corporations
  • lack of government support
  • cost of material goods
  • millennials

gently caress 'em

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

a bay posted:

People hated the draft back then so much that they protested and eventually got rid of it.

No, we still have it, it's called "Selective Service" and boys have to register for it when they turn 18.

People kept saying W was going to reinstate it when Iraq happened, because people hated W.

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad

GORDON posted:

No, we still have it, it's called "Selective Service" and boys have to register for it when they turn 18.

People kept saying W was going to reinstate it when Iraq happened, because people hated W.

oh yeah, i remember i signed up to try and get some aid for college but i didnt get any anyway :( "trapped a again" i supposed

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It was more politically expedient to send the same volunteers to Iraq 4 times than to draft and have the whole public effected by the war.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I hope the Miami dolphins get a high draft pick

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Ehud posted:

I hope the Miami dolphins get a high draft pick

You don't have to worry about that.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I'm probably too old now, so whatever. But a draft would certainly get us lazy Americans to actually give a drat about these conflicts since the wars would have a tangible effect on us. Without it, we have this detachment that creates a lot of half assed boos and hisses in combination with a sickening reverence for OUR TROOPS (spits on homeless vet).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Draft up a proposal to sniff DEEZ NUTS!

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
:350: I'm a jehovah's witness

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

a bay posted:

Just to clarify the draft that Im talking about is the process of recruiting people into the United States armed forces, whether they are into it or not, that was stopped a long time ago. The draft is generally considered to have been a bad thing when the "baby boomer" generation had to go through it in Vietnam which was the worst war to be in from what I have seen and heard. People hated the draft back then so much that they protested and eventually got rid of it. But many people have now proposed bringing back the draft as a way to give young people an opportunity to find maturity and inner toughness or some thing like that which they are supposedly lacking. Personally I think it seems kind of silly to give people access to helicopters and tanks and stuff like that and then still make them go to gym class basically but I am willing to hear out both sides of this discussion before I decide that bringing back the draft would be gay

I don't have anything against the draft I just prefer to buy bottles as it's cheaper.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
The draft is never coming back. Jesus, could you imagine the tumblr triggering to occur if our youth was forced by law to kill brown people in the Middle East? They literally can't even~

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm glad I'm 30 now, because if I got drafted I would have deffo been the Pvt Gomer Pyle who went Columbine on my training camp after everybody turned on me for being the liberal sissy.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

The draft is never coming back. Jesus, could you imagine the tumblr triggering to occur if our youth was forced by law to kill brown people in the Middle East? They literally can't even~

Army generals are on record as stating they don't WANT the Draft back... conscripts suck compared to volunteers.

I think the only way we will see another Draft is with a serious army showing up in American shores. And I bet a dollar this will happen within 75 years.... and the hostile army will probably be from Texas or something.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Windows 98 posted:

Lmao ok when you put it like that I am VERY interested in the draft

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I unironically support a universal draft of all male and female American citizens.
Send all millennials to Iraq.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm 30 now is that too old to be drafted

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The draft is only temporarily disabled and all citizens are still required to register with the selective service. The military is not having any issues meeting recruiting requirements due to the core of america which mostly produces non beta bitch actual patriots.

What we do need is an actual war or some real problems so we can stop hearing about how its ok to mutilate your dick or whatever.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
As CEO of DeVry University, I support more people wasting their GI Bill on my schools

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
throw all baby boomers into a furnace imo

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The only draft any of us will be involved in is an MtG draft down at Sweaty Joe's Comic Cave.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i wanna waste canadians, sign me the gently caress up

and then when im out join a racist biker gang that uses my legless fleshlight of a veterans body to keister hard drugs

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
If you get drafted do you get to pick which branch of the military to go in or do they tell you? I'm guessing it's the latter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
you should get bonus pay if you're drafted early, like in the NFL

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

i wanna waste canadians, sign me the gently caress up

and then when im out join a racist biker gang that uses my legless fleshlight of a veterans body to keister hard dongs

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

hell yeah

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

somuch_gravy posted:

im a sensitive and cool and creative guy but ill be the first too say id love if they gave me a helicopter or tank to drive around in and fight people with :shrug:
maybe the baby boomers just complained enough because they're sissies and vietnam wasn't so bed at all. who knows

Just become a cop, man.

You don't have to travel to foreign shitholes when there are plenty of domestic shitholes, and you're gear is pretty close to Army poo poo - in fact, because it's usually surplus or previously used, you're reducing reusing, and recycling, therefore making being a cop the "greenest" lifestyle choice for anyone with a hankering to abuse authority.

Being a cop has the added benefit of war criming not only people who speak your language, but there's also a good chance it's someone you know who wronged you in childhood!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Hector Beerlioz posted:

If you get drafted do you get to pick which branch of the military to go in or do they tell you? I'm guessing it's the latter.

If you're really good can you be a big whiny babby like Kobe or John Elway and get sent wherever you wanted anyway?

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 3, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i would assume they would leave picking as an incentive to volenteer. oh look its WW3, do you want to wait to be drafted into the infantry, or will you join the coastguard now?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Rutibex posted:

i would assume they would leave picking as an incentive to volenteer. oh look its WW3, do you want to wait to be drafted into the infantry, or will you join the coastguard now?

The national guard. I want to only have to fight the invading forces for one weekend a month.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

a bay posted:

As someone who currently serves in the volunteer military I don't really like the idea of serving with people who don't want to be there.

That being said, my father was drafted and did a year in Vietnam (69-70). When I, as a younger man, I once asked him if draftees were crappy Soldiers. He told me: "We might not have wanted to be there, but we did our duty, and did it just as good as everyone else."

So maybe draftees aren't so bad. But honestly, why do we need a draft? We aren't hurting for Soldiers right now (we're trying to get rid of them).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The US won't have a draft, they will just tie a bunch of social services for poor people to military service so poor people don't have a realistic choice.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

spacetoaster posted:

That being said, my father was drafted and did a year in Vietnam (69-70). When I, as a younger man, I once asked him if draftees were crappy Soldiers. He told me: "We might not have wanted to be there, but we did our duty, and did it just as good as everyone else."

Nobody has that sense of honor now. Blah blah blah millennials blah blah blah

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Drafting means millenial conscripts will be circle-tweeting teenage rapes, complete with selfies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wicker Man posted:

Drafting means millenial conscripts will be circle-tweeting teenage rapes, complete with selfies.

Like that's something new? lol

• Locked thread