Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:zaeed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

streaming killed the MP3 player, actually

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

imagine working on a product that everyone has heard of, millions of people buy, and utterly destroyed every competitor in its segment. must be terrible

then, further imagine being pulled from the iphone team to work on the iwatch, which was doomed from its inception

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was a fad in the sense that almost no one actually needs 30-60-90 gb of music. the hdd-based player came and went so fast it made heads spin

smartphones don't have hard drives, but they hold "enough" music, so they killed hdd players dead.

it's almost like access to the Internet everywhere and all the music that the Internet contains being available all the time had some effect on it, nah must have just been a fad

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

As a Millennial I posted:

streaming killed the MP3 player, actually

MP3 players, even the iPod, were on the decline years before music streaming services were anywhere close to mainstream.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

it's almost like access to the Internet everywhere and all the music that the Internet contains being available all the time had some effect on it, nah must have just been a fad

i'm the unlimited data plan that works everywhree

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and i dont mean 'in the woods' i mean 'in a building'

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

flakeloaf posted:

and i dont mean 'in the woods' i mean 'in a building'

i'm the person who is in a building and doesn't have wifi

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Doc Block posted:

Imagine going to work at Apple, only for your boss to wind up being the guy who wrote a whole blog post titled, "Go gently caress Yourselves, Apple" when he worked at Adobe.

imagine being someone who worked at adobe

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
seems to be pretty exciting since they still need to get the next version onto 16/14nm while improving its performance

imagine if the s2 is as powerful as the a9 while using less power than the s1

or if they have a chip good enough to hold its own lte/wifi connection while having double the batterylife as the current s1

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
also do you call your macbook air a mac air? or ipod touch as itouch or something?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was a fad in the sense that almost no one actually needs 30-60-90 gb of music. the hdd-based player came and went so fast it made heads spin

smartphones don't have hard drives, but they hold "enough" music, so they killed hdd players dead.

almost like apple owned the market with the epic ipod then iterated that into the ultimate ownage device the iphone turning them into an unstoppable juggernaut. thanks timb

echinopsis posted:

so not relatable to working on the failed iwatch then

all were devices that came into a market and pwned everyone else into the Stone Age with better hardware and sick software. another Apple win

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stux posted:

almost like apple owned the market with the epic ipod then iterated that into the ultimate ownage device the iphone turning them into an unstoppable juggernaut. thanks timb

all were devices that came into a market and pwned everyone else into the Stone Age with better hardware and sick software. another Apple win

the ipod came and went

the iphone actually is an all-conquering juggernaut. there is no comparison. all bow before lord timbcooka, may a thousand flowers bless his path.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

then, further imagine being pulled from the iphone team to work on the iwatch, which was doomed from its inception

Apple Watch instantly dominated the market and is pulling in Big Bucks. seems like an unqualified win again for apple

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the ipod came and went

the iphone actually is an all-conquering juggernaut. there is no comparison. all bow before lord timcooka.

the ipod was the necessary first step towards the iphone, it's historic contribution will go down in history

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stux posted:

Apple Watch instantly dominated the market and is pulling in Big Bucks. seems like an unqualified win again for apple

the iwatch dominates the market of dumb gadgets for sweaty nerds, it's true

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the iwatch is failing so badly that apple, a company utterly unafraid about boasting about its various sales, install bases and activations, won't release its sales figures

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stux posted:

the ipod was the necessary first step towards the iphone, it's historic contribution will go down in history

the ipod would still exist if for some reason an iphone couldn't play music.

idg why people call it a "fad" any more than a discman or a walkman or a transistor radio were "fads". they were just the best way of listening to music at the time. now it's an iphone.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

you guys don't know poo poo. it's unlikely anyone was pulled off of the iPhone division to work for the  Watch, unless they requested it; for secrecy they simply transferred the iPod team over to work on the thing, that's how they maintained internal secrecy

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

flakeloaf posted:

spotify, the only good streaming service, lets you keep songs/playlists available offline for that situation

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
how would this compare to working on Apple Maps, because there's a goon that specifically got a job trying to make that good.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

good directions are something that normal people actually need so

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
the original icon for the apple maps app instructed you to take a left turn directly through the wall of an overpass

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wulfolme posted:

the original icon for the apple maps app instructed you to take a left turn directly through the wall of an overpass

good

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

flakeloaf posted:

Hello, tmobile.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
what killed the ipod was not that there was music streaming or whtevet, it was that smart phones and just phones that could do poo poo other than call and text came out and all of a sudden people didnt need a music player with them in order to drown out the putside world. they could find ways to avoid interaction and pass time that didnt require earbuds and a ipod listening to the same 250 tracks over and over.

people always wanted this ability, they just didnt have the means. then smartphones allowed me to play 2048 or text or read news and all of a sudden i dont nwed music to tune out the hobos on the metro

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
remember when people used to literally get murdered for their iPods?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Doc Block posted:

remember when people used to literally get murdered for their iPods?

nope

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
when iPods were new and cost $400, a few people were killed for them.

people even stopped wearing the white earbuds for a while because apple was the only one shipping earbuds in that color, so criminals would see the white cord, assume it was connected to an iPod, and then try to steal it.

imagine dying over an iPod.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
400 million iPods sold in a decade. more than twice the number of Walkmans, previously the most successful consumer electronics product of all time, sold in 30 years. but definitely a fad, not the right technology at the right time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

when iPods were new and cost $400, a few people were killed for them.

people even stopped wearing the white earbuds for a while because apple was the only one shipping earbuds in that color, so criminals would see the white cord, assume it was connected to an iPod, and then try to steal it.

imagine dying over an iPod.

people here did the opposite, get white buds so people would think they owned and iPod Wen the reality was they couldn't afford

iPod wasn't a fad, it just might seem like it but technology moves very fast.. fads imply they died off coz people moved on from them but they were superseded rather than people grew tired of them

now the iwatch.... THAT is a fad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

400 million iPods sold in a decade. more than twice the number of Walkmans, previously the most successful consumer electronics product of all time, sold in 30 years. but definitely a fad, not the right technology at the right time.

wow i had no idea. is that true?

that's pretty incredible given how cheap walkmans are. although i guess maybe a walkman used to be as expensive as an ipod?? i dont know

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

wow i had no idea. is that true?

that's pretty incredible given how cheap walkmans are. although i guess maybe a walkman used to be as expensive as an ipod?? i dont know
they're probably counting ipod minis and shuffles, which aren't really ipods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm sure that in the many years of the sony walkman, there have been untold derivatives released by sony, which you would not include in that statistic according to the same dictates of whatever weird ipod canon exists in your head.

• Locked thread