Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can see why the single-player in this got such scathing reviews. Pretty much the only good parts so far were the surprise drum solo and the over the top gore and dismemberment (which they seemingly forgot to extend to the cutscenes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Sindai posted:

I can see why the single-player in this got such scathing reviews. Pretty much the only good parts so far were the surprise drum solo and the over the top gore and dismemberment (which they seemingly forgot to extend to the cutscenes.)

The only reason I can think of to dislike the single player is if you dislike shooters or Ninja Gaiden, or both. Granted, that's just based on my own experience with the game, but I legitimately can't think of a good reason to critically pan it. It's got good design.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Most of what you've shown so far suggests that a number of combat systems were mashed together such that little though was given to how they'd interact or play. You've stated multiple times in videos that the only way forward was to do something counterintuitive, and that you basically avoid most of the FPS elements of gameplay because they don't work very well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Most of what you've shown so far suggests that a number of combat systems were mashed together such that little though was given to how they'd interact or play. You've stated multiple times in videos that the only way forward was to do something counterintuitive, and that you basically avoid most of the FPS elements of gameplay because they don't work very well.

I'm not sure about that. I believe most of the time I've shown that the best approach is to

1, search the upcoming battle with a gun and pick off any excessively troubling enemies

2, then use melee combat

it's a pretty consistent formula.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Next update should be within the next couple days. Apologies for the wait, just wanted to get the recording as good as possible.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

#3. Far Eastern New Republic

I'm really excited to finally bring you this chapter!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One thing that really bothers me is how you seem to end up seriously hurt in every encounter, which sorta diminishes the coolness factor and it obstructs your view.

It definitely isn't like Metal Gear Rising where you can slice up dozen dudes wielding machine guns without getting hit once (Although the gun wielding enemies in that game were meant to interrupt your combos rather than kill you, so eh)

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
You said it yourself in the vid and I'd have to agree: the Grundla fight is one of the coolest boss fights. For me, a lot of the difficulty was reminiscent of the second Murai fight in Ninja Gaiden--a lot of dodging/rolling, and being aware of "fake-outs" where it might seem he's leaving himself open, but he's not.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

One thing that really bothers me is how you seem to end up seriously hurt in every encounter, which sorta diminishes the coolness factor and it obstructs your view.

It definitely isn't like Metal Gear Rising where you can slice up dozen dudes wielding machine guns without getting hit once (Although the gun wielding enemies in that game were meant to interrupt your combos rather than kill you, so eh)

Devil's Third is a shooter and hack n slash, so the enemies with guns are a lot more threatening. It's just a case of there being different game design priorities.

Digital Jello posted:

You said it yourself in the vid and I'd have to agree: the Grundla fight is one of the coolest boss fights. For me, a lot of the difficulty was reminiscent of the second Murai fight in Ninja Gaiden--a lot of dodging/rolling, and being aware of "fake-outs" where it might seem he's leaving himself open, but he's not.

I really do love it, I feel like Itagaki put things he learned about his previous boss fights in the industry to use.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Staary Braat is russian for Old Brother. That scrap of paper did indeed have предатель written on it in cursive Russian which does indeed mean traitor (although they wrote a b instead of a t in it. A cursive russian t looks like a cursive roman m).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Staary Braat is russian for Old Brother. That scrap of paper did indeed have предатель written on it in cursive Russian which does indeed mean traitor (although they wrote a b instead of a t in it. A cursive russian t looks like a cursive roman m).

I didn't know about the island's name, so that's pretty cool, thanks!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ChaosArgate has also started his own let's play of Devil's Third, for those interested. I still plan on updating mine, of course, but I figured people might be interested in two different takes of the game.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Looking forward to the new episode.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EzEight posted:

Looking forward to the new episode.

Thanks. I'm excited to share it.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

this is the exact LP I was hoping for when this game came out, looking forward to more :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

.TakaM posted:

this is the exact LP I was hoping for when this game came out, looking forward to more :)

I'm really glad to hear you say that!

• Locked thread