Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Devil's Third

An intense and (relatively) unique character action game, Devil's Third was supposed to be a "breakthrough in the game industry". Now, when game director and designer Itagaki Tomonobu said "breakthrough", some people probably imagined an emotionally compelling epic that challenges the idea of videogames on a meta level. Those people don't know Itagaki, and what he meant by "breakthrough" is "I'm going to design a game with so much violence and blood and explosions and it will be like Ninja Gaiden but with guns." And it's awesome. Now, that's not to say that Devil's Third isn't emotionally compelling or well designed, because it is amazingly well designed and tells an interesting story. But it's not here to be the next Spec Ops, it's here to be high-octane, high-strategy action. And it exceeds at that immensely.

Let's save the world! Just, don't spoil anything.

1. Outlaw in the Backyard

2. Day of The Dead

#3. Far Eastern New Republic

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You have my attention. Let's see where this goes.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

berryjon posted:

You have my attention. Let's see where this goes.

That's one down, seven or so billion to go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, your LPs of weird games haven't steered me wrong before, let's see where this goes.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Is the melee combat just going to be light/heavy attacks trough the entire game or do you get something else to do?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Demicol posted:

Is the melee combat just going to be light/heavy attacks trough the entire game or do you get something else to do?

It's always light/heavy attacks, but it's really about the weapons and enemies. The variety isn't so much in Ivan's moveset, but in the confrontations he faces and how you approach them. I generally prefer games where you're given a relatively limited set of combat options, but you have to learn to use them to maximum effectiveness to succeed.

Night10194 posted:

Well, your LPs of weird games haven't steered me wrong before, let's see where this goes.

It does go to some pretty weird places.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I like this game. It offers nothing new in the action genre, but it's a lot of fun and the characters, while having no depth, are pretty cool regardless.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I was kinda interested in this game since I heard some fun stuff about it, and watching an LP should be nice to get a better picture of it. So, I'm looking forward to this.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digital Jello posted:

I like this game. It offers nothing new in the action genre, but it's a lot of fun and the characters, while having no depth, are pretty cool regardless.

I think the characters have some depth, it's just implied instead of explicitly stated.

Sam Faust posted:

I was kinda interested in this game since I heard some fun stuff about it, and watching an LP should be nice to get a better picture of it. So, I'm looking forward to this.

The physical copies in North America are insanely rare, so you'd have to get it on the eShop, but you'd need 15GB of space. Just warning you ahead of time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, are there combos? Or do you literally have two attacks and a couple different kill animations?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

So, are there combos? Or do you literally have two attacks and a couple different kill animations?

Kind of!

Each weapon has a unique four hit light attack combo, but you can trigger a heavy attack at any point during it. It's pretty basic, but the way it's implemented into the design is important.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

2. Day of The Dead

This is where the real game starts.

Next update will take a bit longer, I just wanted to upload these two close together.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Getting a very No More Heroes vibe off the game. It's got the same kind of 'this is what Americans think is badass, right?' feel, but without the dorky protagonist or knowing wink to the audience.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Not going to lie... I WANT THIS GAME SO BAD. I didn't think it would be so campy and awesome at the same time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Getting a very No More Heroes vibe off the game. It's got the same kind of 'this is what Americans think is badass, right?' feel, but without the dorky protagonist or knowing wink to the audience.

I can't unsee Vin Diesel every time I see Ivan.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I gotta say, this is easily the most glowing opinion of this game I've ever seen. Money is tight so I likely won;t get this (Xenoblade, Mario Kart 8 and Mario Maker take precedence), but I may see if this has some hidden merits the previews didn't show well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It has more "culture" to it than that, it just shows in smaller doses, but Itagaki definitely made it with American audiences in mind, and fought hard to bring it here.

Zain posted:

Not going to lie... I WANT THIS GAME SO BAD. I didn't think it would be so campy and awesome at the same time.

American copies are beyond rare, but it is available on the Nintendo eShop.

Night10194 posted:

Ivind Diesel

ManlyGrunting posted:

I gotta say, this is easily the most glowing opinion of this game I've ever seen. Money is tight so I likely won;t get this (Xenoblade, Mario Kart 8 and Mario Maker take precedence), but I may see if this has some hidden merits the previews didn't show well.

I really do think the game design is good, but it isn't as easy to "figure out" as other action titles.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Night10194 posted:

Glad to hear that I'm not crazy then.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Ah, Devil's Third. A game that is as amazing and crazy in its design as it is hampered by its troubled development. I'm interested to see where this playthrough goes, as well as people's impressions in this thread, having just finished a second run through for all the war trophies.

I know this is just for the campaign, but can I also assume there are plans for videos showing bits of the multiplayer? Because that's another important part of the whole package.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

I took a look at the Wikipedia entry and holy poo poo did this get ripped to shreds by the American reviewing crowd. (Japan via Famitsu was mostly fine with it.) But thus far I'm perplexed on what the kerfuffle was, except perhaps that the game doesn't tell you how to play strategically as well as it could. Sort of like the offerings from Platinum, I suppose, though in the latter case there's at least a reputation to offset the lack of clarity.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Diesel's Third

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NGDBSS posted:

I took a look at the Wikipedia entry and holy poo poo did this get ripped to shreds by the American reviewing crowd. (Japan via Famitsu was mostly fine with it.) But thus far I'm perplexed on what the kerfuffle was, except perhaps that the game doesn't tell you how to play strategically as well as it could. Sort of like the offerings from Platinum, I suppose, though in the latter case there's at least a reputation to offset the lack of clarity.

Yeah, I'm not really seeing what's supposed to be egregiously bad here. It looks a little simple in motion, but the idea of a character action game with the option of using shooter stuff to soften up a crowd before you go in to beat 'em up seems solid.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

I think the biggest issue was that people didn't bother to experiment, and as a result just assumed the game had no strategy to it. It's a bit sad.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Big Mouse was my first bout of paying attention in this game, because that immediate ambush killed me half a dozen times, and there were a few times where I went the dumbass route of trying to take out Mouse himself first. His second form (Bigger Mouse?) was a joke thanks to years of sidestepping-then-attacking from other action games, but overall, it's a pretty cool fight. Also, for an Itagaki game, I'm surprised Major Stella was fully clothed. But then, based on the SOD files that Caraway showed off, all the babes are badguys.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
That plot went really Kill Bill for a bit there. Is this going to be a spot-the-action-film-reference Kojima-style thing?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThaGhettoJew posted:

That plot went really Kill Bill for a bit there. Is this going to be a spot-the-action-film-reference Kojima-style thing?

Kill Bill is very much like a videogame, and Devil's Third is very much like a videogame, so it's entirely possible!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Really? I was getting MGS vibes from it, myself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
SOD is a pretty drat British way to call a Russian extremist group. Just sayin'.

edit: God, that flashback sequence. "Let's just watch him run away and get into cover with all our guns pointed at him, then slowly walk towards his position."

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 18, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

GamesAreSupernice posted:

American copies are beyond rare, but it is available on the Nintendo eShop.

That's a shame... I don't even have an external drive yet for my WiiU. I enjoy physical copies way more than digital.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zain posted:

That's a shame... I don't even have an external drive yet for my WiiU. I enjoy physical copies way more than digital.

It is a shame! The game is already excessively rare and I doubt prices will drop.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So it's stylish and weird, but is it fun to play?

I've run into a few games that were fun to watch but actually playing them was a hassle. How are the controls? Responsive? Sluggish? How does the shooting feel compared to the hand-to-hand stuff?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

So it's stylish and weird, but is it fun to play?

I've run into a few games that were fun to watch but actually playing them was a hassle. How are the controls? Responsive? Sluggish? How does the shooting feel compared to the hand-to-hand stuff?

I've never had to struggle with the controls. The close-quarters combat "feels" different depending on which weapon you have, but gun combat almost always feels airy and light, in a good way.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Devil's turd

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

Devil's turd

I was actually telling my brother I was surprised no one tried to make that joke yet. Now my life is ruined, clearly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Game looks fun. I'm sorry to see that Itagaki has had so much trouble getting it made, getting it brought over, and getting people to like it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

Game looks fun. I'm sorry to see that Itagaki has had so much trouble getting it made, getting it brought over, and getting people to like it.

Itagaki seemed consistently excited, at least.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It may be just the sunglasses that both of them wear, but I can't escape the feeling that Ivan is Itagaki's mary-sue self insert, much more than perhaps anything else he may have put in a video game before.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Lotish posted:

I think the latter part is due to Itagaki himself being quite the self absorbed prick so people will hate it by default. But I still say this will be one of those games that stands the test of time for being so dumb/bad it's good. Like a lot of games from gens past. Remember all those AAA 90+ metacritic games we're like "WTF were they thinking" when reviewing? Or how every reviewer kinda hated Deadly Premonition but everyone else loving it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lotish posted:

It may be just the sunglasses that both of them wear, but I can't escape the feeling that Ivan is Itagaki's mary-sue self insert, much more than perhaps anything else he may have put in a video game before.

I dunno, Ein in Dead or Alive was pretty much Itagaki as a karate practitioner. Especially in DOA3 with his trenchcoat and sunglasses costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This is surprisingly interesting. Looking forward to more.

• Locked thread