Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

also doubles your posts apparently

hand sanitizer doesn't clean poo poo though and I have a need to clean things

Alcohol doesn't clean things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Bring both. They each have their own uses and small containers weigh nothing and go a long way.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Alcohol doesn't clean things?

Hand sanitizer sanitizes already-clean hands. You need soap, water, and abrasion to actually remove the dirt and oil that can trap bacteria underneath. This is why medical professionals wash their hands very very thoroughly coming in from the street, and then sanitize between patient rooms.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Actually you will find that alcohol is amazing at removing both dirt and oil from your hands, it's just expensive and drys the poo poo out of your hands if you do it often.

Source: Guy who used to work at construction sites who used denatured alcohol to scrub grease and poo poo off his hands before going to his second job.

But for real, I can't think of anything I would want clean while hiking that a little blob of sanitizer wouldn't take care of with out needed to use water.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Soap is really good if you've got backcountry constipation, just put a drop or two in your water and you're free flowing in no time.

Not sure if sanitizer does the same trick.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Re: BC constipation

I'm a gastrocolic reflex man myself. Drink hot drink followed by something cold. Boom, both hydrated and blasting.

Also, being proactive about it, when prepackaging my oatmeal or other food, toss some ground flaxseed into it. Extra fiber, extra protein.

Sanitizer is nice because you can put a little on your toilet paper and ensure combustion. Alternatively, make vodka jello and eat it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I have ever been constipated. I mean, I think I went maybe 4-5 days at boy scout camp once, but that was just willpower.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
See, this is part of why I swear by my alcohol stove. Assuming the fuel is everclear, you can use it to cook, clean (why would you sanitize in the woods though, seriously. Save that for your hovel), and make cocktails.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

meselfs posted:

See, this is part of why I swear by my alcohol stove. Assuming the fuel is everclear, you can use it to cook, clean (why would you sanitize in the woods though, seriously. Save that for your hovel), and make cocktails.

Is that straight from hobo nick?

Get drunk however you can, folks.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I've taken everclear on a trip but it was only 1 night like 2 or 3km in. We mixed it with crystal lights and glacial creek water. It was great.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Crystal light and Everclear is a respected Backcountry Tradition.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I prefer country time lemonade powder. Any fake sugar or anything without calories is not worth the weight :colbert:

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
So it's not just me. Juice powder and concentrated EtOh because ultralight. I love you guys.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

alnilam posted:

I prefer country time lemonade powder. Any fake sugar or anything without calories is not worth the weight :colbert:

Yeah if it was longer term I would def bring something with calories

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
whiskey or beer or gtfo

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Maybe I will get the gently caress out

get the gently caress outside!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
:cheers:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Cheers to that

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Drink the hand sanitizer

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I had to take a Food Safe class up in Canada, and to get thoroughly clean hands before handling food, the course said definitely wash your hands with warm water and soap. Hand sanitizer won't do the trick of getting out the bacteria that could potentially get into food. It is suggested that if there's nothing else, use hand sanitizer, but it's not the best.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Austrian mook posted:

Drink the hand sanitizer

Smash Mouth drink the hand sanitizer

(But yeah a bit of soap is fine and good and I do the same thing, but I bring a flake of solid soap in a twist of plastic wrap rather than a pump of gel)

The point was the goon bought all kinds of things and took none of them out of the package and hadn't even gone on an overnight hike before and also lived on pizza and had never boiled water and planned to carry a baby carriage.

Laugh at that goon; pretty much anything you bring on your backpacking trip had to be better than that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

did he ever end up trying again in March like he said

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Probably another scam. Can't trust a guy who hikes with a stroller and no baby.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

a pram scam?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't think he was intentionally trying to bilk people out of money, it was really more of a sham

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

take your sham pram scam and scram

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Whatever the proper term, his ship is long sailed, along with his stroller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Here's the sequel with a new protagonist.

• Locked thread