Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
posting smiling
honestly the reason i haven't spent more time with haxe is running into bugs and undocumented stuff like that.

to ignore a folder make a file in the same directory as your git repo called .gitignore and just put

code:
export
in it. it also accepts glob patterns to ignore more specific stuff. doco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime

Hurray! Thank you!

Is there anything you'd recommend over haxe? for me there'd have to be some kinda framework available for it, like lua and love2d. I've always kinda threw looks at that whenever haxeflixel caused problems again...

posting smiling
i wish i had a good suggestion. i was looking at haxe for the same reason as you since i like to just develop in a text editor and a command line, but lately i've just been doing game stuff in unity. i like c# and the convenience of it outweighs the downsides for me.

Tebulot

im hip now bois

This is a good game so far, and I've spent more time on it than I do most steam games, so you did a good job already

Pizzatime

what an honor, thank you!

Tebulot

im hip now bois

I let them all starve and become exhausted so I could just feed and rest them all in a row

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
git is it

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
mags

I am a congenital optimist.
i like git

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Piso Mojado

Pizzatime

thanks for urging me to use version control

Tebulot posted:

I let them all starve and become exhausted so I could just feed and rest them all in a row

I'll revamp the way hunger works for the next update so the motions will be forced to be more fluid

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

yo pizzatime, have you seen theres an SA gamejam coming up on the 8th?

ill be entering but only if the theme is trivialize

Pizzatime

ah right I was gonna remember that. got a link?

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756929

Pizzatime

very much appreciated. might do something in love2d. getting my milkytracker on

Pizzatime

also trying to port this game to lua/love2d while also getting it into a fairly finished state before the jams' deadlines might pose an interesting challenge

Pizzatime

forget anything I said, I'll stick with haxeflixel

Pizzatime

hey can an IK rename this thread to something less dumb? wanna be posting a bit more about this the coming days and this is much too formal for byob

also feel free to make that threadtag in the op an actual threadtag and make it the thread's threadtag that'd be amazing

e: holy crap has it really been an entire month

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 6, 2016

Pizzatime

alright let's have some smallish updates trickle in. whoever follows my twitter might already know about this one but let's just assume nobody does.

before/after

am pretty happy with having been able to make the trees look way less terrible. might've gone a little overboard on the dithering, but it's tough to do anything else with the ZX's restriction of only 2 colors per 8x8 square.

Pizzatime

I also tried to make the text display right on the flash export, which got pretty confusing while I was trying to fix another text-related issue in a different project, switching to a different branch of openfl in the process across all projects. Apart from a few minor problems, it's working alright, though:

flash/windows

Thought a lot about which features to add, too. Gonna post an updated list of that and start working on that tomorrow. That's it for now, thanks for reading.

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't port a game to a different language when you only figured out for loops a month ago. That said, I like your moxie and also the cut of your jib.

I will be paying attention. I have coded a few games in Java, a half-decent breakout clone, and some dumb RPG that I didn't have to do much with because my group partner shat out mediocre games at a frightening frequency.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 9, 2016

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pizzatime

When I ported my first half-way actual game from flash to mobile, I didn't even know about static variables. I know you mean good but don't tell people not to do something, there's no proper order to follow your dreams.

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
mobile what?

Why were you thinking about porting to lua? I mean, its' cool that Brazilians made a programming language, but...

I'm saying that there there are things that you can do that will be a better use of your time than randomly porting to different languages.

Learn about data structures and algorithms. There are reasons. Because how you are doing it now is still driving me insane, but thanks?

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 10, 2016

----------------

Pizzatime

osirisisdead posted:

mobile what?

ported from AS3/Flash to Haxe, then exporting to Android, iOS and Windows.

osirisisdead posted:

Why were you thinking about porting to lua? I mean, its' cool that Brazilians made a programming language, but...

Was thinking about porting to lua cause haxeflixel kept introducing terrible issues and was looking for different frameworks that were on a similar level of required knowledge, but then I switched to a different openfl branch and that seemed to solve all of the (all sound related) issues, so I went back on that thought.

osirisisdead posted:

I'm saying that there there are things that you can do that will be a better use of your time than randomly porting to different languages.

Learn about data structures and algorithms. There are reasons. Because how you are doing it now is still driving me insane, but thanks?

might be more clear with explaining it just now. the game isn't far into development yet, that is, no game I'm currently developing is, and all of them would still be fairly easy to restart in a different language. the thought behind that was to not have unsolvable engine-side problems deep into development by going the extra mile and rewriting the game in an engine that was stable.

weird

by zen death robot
which static variables

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically, all of the cross platform toolkits are going to be minefields to some degree, especially ones with bleeding edge open source libs. I don't have experience with Haxe, but I've done some phonegap development.

The language doesn't matter all that much and Haxe seems to be where you want to be if you want to make a game that can target a plethora of platforms with a single codebase.

I've never worked in OCaml, but that's what at least part of the Haxe compiler seems to be written in... It's odd. Some of the examples from the manual work, but I don't really know why or what is going on.

http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/coreexamples.html

https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/haxe/blob/development/main.ml

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird

by zen death robot
ocaml is cool

----------------

• Locked thread