Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

house of the devil is a really good modern retro horror film, very slow burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

PinkoBastard posted:

any Argento fans itt? love Deep Red and Suspiria. insanely good soundtracks and they just look incredible.

Goblin is a good band

PinkoBastard

alnilam posted:

house of the devil is a really good modern retro horror film, very slow burn

seconding this, I really enjoyed it too.

Robot Made of Meat

PinkoBastard posted:

that's insane, Alien isn't the absolute best movie I've ever seen, but it's very effective. at least you should be able to appreciate it in the context of the era when it was released. you guys prolly know this but it was also written by the guy that wrote/directed Return of the Living Dead.

Fap fap fap.

I repeat my basic premise. Dark and wet does NOT equal good cinema. This is true regardless of who wrote or directed it.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

Alien is good...

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
my first watch alone on tv scary movie was nightmare on elm street. made me afraid of phones (ringing when not plugged in)
Actually when I was very very little I saw half of I spit on your grave....

poltergeist and carries were amazing horror movies as was firestarter (as an old movie not scary)
I watched the visit and the taking of deborah logan recently they were ok. Tremors was on TV and it held up as funny as hell.

as to pacing, Rosemary's baby was a masterpiece.

I did not enjoy alien

PinkoBastard
I agree with your basic premise, I guess, but I still think that alien's good.

ChairmanMeow

I'll watch anything where some one gets an exorcism

Robot Made of Meat

ChairmanMeow posted:

as to pacing, Rosemary's baby was a masterpiece.

I will agree with this very much.

alnilam

Me, a person who likes alien: sips fine wine, speaks in trans atlantic accent "mmm yes alien is well paced, features a fascinating story with many unanswered questions by the end, and features the incredible creative design of that Giger fellow, quite exquisite"

Someone who doesn't like alien: while poopibg self "duerrr a durrr aliem is bad because i don't understand why dark and wet???"

Robot Made of Meat

PinkoBastard posted:

I agree with your basic premise, I guess, but I still think that alien's good.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We all deserve to enjoy things.

PinkoBastard
Rosemary's Baby is a great film, for sure. I like Repulsion, too.

ChairmanMeow

alnilam posted:

Me, a person who likes alien: sips fine wine, speaks in trans atlantic accent "mmm yes alien is well paced, features a fascinating story with many unanswered questions by the end, and features the incredible creative design of that Giger fellow, quite exquisite"

Someone who doesn't like alien: while poopibg self "duerrr a durrr aliem is bad because i don't understand why dark and wet???"

I'm just not into sci-fi , totally not a filmaking thing

alnilam

Sorry i was making a joke post in an otherwise serious chat thread that might have come off as mean

ChairmanMeow

is this a serious thread? I shouldn't be here

Victory Position

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

a lot of people don't know that Poltergeist and Coach are in the same universe.

how do the two match up

does Jerry Van Dyke know the family

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
i just watched the shining on netflix tonight. good movie.

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
In this thread we take on the herculean and dreadful task of defending Alien, one of the most well-regarded horror sci-fi movies of all time, from hordes of detractor.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
seems like a lot of these movies would have ended up differently if someone had just used a pheonix down

PinkoBastard

ChairmanMeow posted:

alnilam

ChairmanMeow posted:

I've got an episode of courage the cowardly dog for you...

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

ur nan's dark and wet, m8

SIDS Vicious

last night i watched the original wicker man and it was really good what atmosphere that film had!

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

ChairmanMeow

alnilam posted:

I've got an episode of courage the cowardly dog for you...

that show is awesome. I'm not above it

PinkoBastard
I just watched the 1969 Mexican exploitation/horror movie Night of the Bloody Apes. I originally saw it a few years ago after seeing the trailer on a Something Weird Video compilation. I'd post the trailer but it's not work safe.

The plot: mad Doctor attempts to save his dying son by replacing his heart with that of a gorilla. Naturally, this results in the son transforming in to an ape-man, physically, and becoming a bloodthirsty, rapey, murderous monster. There's also a plot about a female Mexican wrestler which is very loving uninteresting.

Night of the Bloody Apes is sleazy but not particularly shocking, stupid, slow and poorly written. It plays sort of like a lovely version of an old Universal horror film but with lots of blood and nudity. Low-rent and ludicrous, I wouldn't recommend it to most. On the other hand, if you're in to bad movies in general and maybe more specifically the bloodier Something Weird horror releases (Blood Feast, Basket Case, etc) you'll probably think it's a fun way to kill some time.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 18, 2016

alnilam

Celluloid Sam posted:

last night i watched the original wicker man and it was really good what atmosphere that film had!

the remake however is really bad and feels like a whiny rant by a "men's rights activist"

alnilam

ChairmanMeow posted:

that show is awesome. I'm not above it

Is good show, look up the ep with the possession mattress

SIDS Vicious

i watched the original texas chainsaw massacre last night and it was good but the best character was the hitch hiker and he didnt even show up again!

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

PinkoBastard
original Wicker Man is really good!

Salmiakki

Celluloid Sam posted:

i watched the original texas chainsaw massacre last night and it was good but the best character was the hitch hiker and he didnt even show up again!

the soundtrack for that film is so insane i love it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3odOfyPz8L8

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Salmiakki

i heard this movie wasnt very good but this song is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PgwXe6lAsQ

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

i read the novelisation of the original wicker man once and it had a foreword essay by some academic where he dug into its themes and talked about how it exceeded set standards for movie adaptation novelisations and was actually a really good book. i did not expect this in the least bit, but he was right, it was great.

• Locked thread