Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIDS Vicious

I love horror films and somehow I have not seen Poltergeist (1982) yet. so I am about to put it on. I will come back and tell you all what I think of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague

That one girl dies and also they're heeeeeeeeeeeere.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

It's one hell of a cool movie, and an incredible example of non-cg special effects

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

It's one hell of a cool movie, and an incredible example of non-cg special effects

Robot Made of Meat

Protip: Don't go into the light.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Have you heard the original tubular bells from the original Exorcist?

SIDS Vicious

DeepQantas posted:

i watch the exorcist at least once a year. so my thoughts on poltergeist. wow those effects, holy cow. was a genuinely scary film for something from 1982, it really works well still. compared to the recent remake, was just brilliant. the remake isn't awful either but it felt much more hollywood if that makes sense. the tree being entirely practical was just loving brilliant and i cant believe what they achieved with it, and the hands coming from the tv etc. will be watching this every october from now on

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Celluloid Sam posted:

i watch the exorcist at least once a year. so my thoughts on poltergeist. wow those effects, holy cow. was a genuinely scary film for something from 1982, it really works well still. compared to the recent remake, was just brilliant. the remake isn't awful either but it felt much more hollywood if that makes sense. the tree being entirely practical was just loving brilliant and i cant believe what they achieved with it, and the hands coming from the tv etc. will be watching this every october from now on

i was six when it came out and i think eight or nine when i finally saw it and holy poo poo did that movie scare the hell out of me

SIDS Vicious

Luvcow posted:

i was six when it came out and i think eight or nine when i finally saw it and holy poo poo did that movie scare the hell out of me

it had obviously been out awhile when i saw it but i was about the same age, it was my second horror film, my first being jaws when i was 7 and they both totally traumatized me, but in a good way, since to this day i love the horror genre immensely.

SIDS Vicious

unless you meant poltergeist not the exorcist in which case oops

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Celluloid Sam posted:

it had obviously been out awhile when i saw it but i was about the same age, it was my second horror film, my first being jaws when i was 7 and they both totally traumatized me, but in a good way, since to this day i love the horror genre immensely.

jaws... i had this shark attack book that i bought for like $1 at a used book fair and id read little bits of it when i was on the toilet. combine that with jaws and there were times in my youth i was afraid to take a bath because i thought the bathtub might just open up below me and id be attacked by a shark...

SIDS Vicious

Luvcow posted:

jaws... i had this shark attack book that i bought for like $1 at a used book fair and id read little bits of it when i was on the toilet. combine that with jaws and there were times in my youth i was afraid to take a bath because i thought the bathtub might just open up below me and id be attacked by a shark...

haha same i actually started showering as a wee lad because i was terrified the shark would come out of the drain

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Celluloid Sam posted:

haha same i actually started showering as a wee lad because i was terrified the shark would come out of the drain

yep... :smith:

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when I was a little Ralp, Poltergeist was the first scary movie my parents let me watch and the chair stacking scene and bathroom mirror scene are still my favorite scares in any horror film.

----------------

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
As a small child I was scared by Poltergeist and The Blob, and immune to fear afterwards.

PinkoBastard
poltergeist is kick rear end. well directed and it has great performances. it's also loving SCARY for a PG film.

Afro Doug

when i was a really little kid, i once caught poultergeist playing on network tv right at the point where the guy rips off his face in the mirror. i rufused to eat ellios pizza for months

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
just the idea that your tv could be a vessel for evil... and this preceded my disbelief in santa claus

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

PinkoBastard posted:

poltergeist is kick rear end. well directed and it has great performances. it's also loving SCARY for a PG film.

They were going to rate it R originally, but Spielberg threw a fit and they didn't have PG-13 at the time, so they ended up rating it PG. The number of small children traumatized by that decision prompted the MPAA to create the PG-13 category for movies that weren't nasty enough for an R rating, but too nasty for kids.

PinkoBastard

Glass Bottom Boat posted:

They were going to rate it R originally, but Spielberg threw a fit and they didn't have PG-13 at the time, so they ended up rating it PG. The number of small children traumatized by that decision prompted the MPAA to create the PG-13 category for movies that weren't nasty enough for an R rating, but too nasty for kids.

I think Jaws is also a PG. pretty interesting stuff. I really like the guy who sold Craig T Nelson the house, he's a character actor named James Karen who was also in Return of the Living Dead. Also seconding the great practical effects work throughout. did you like it op?

deep dish peat moss

This thread made me want to watch Poltergeist, I've barely ever seen any horror movies but it's not on Netflix so I'm watching Children of the Corn instead.

deep dish peat moss

I'm appreciating Children of the Corn right now because it only took about two minutes for the murders to start and there was no romance plot leading up to it.

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah prior to about 1982 film pacing had not yet been invented so a lot of older horror movies are imho nearly unwatchable. Two examples stick out to me though that use the ultra-slow burn pace to terrific effect:
ALIEN, the perfect movie of all time, enough said.
and Rosemary's Baby. This one is glacial but it's so much the better for it, the suspense building is intricate and constant. When Ravel composed Bolero he could never get conductors to play it slowly enough, that's what Rosemary's Baby reminds me of.

----------------

Android Blues

Poltergeist is good although its pacing is very odd from a modern perspective. when i last saw it i liked it but didn't love it, but maybe a rewatch would make me appreciate it more.

if you're watching old horror movies you should check out Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) and Carrie, those are the two absolute genre classics id recommend and Body Snatchers is kinda underlooked nowadays i feel despite how dazzlingly good it is. the 1956 original is really good and scary too, in a way you might not think a sci-fi horror movie that old could be!

although tbf Carrie is less of a horror movie and more an upsetting coming of age story with some scary parts. still great tho!

Salmiakki

i love horror movies... i also love horror movie soundtracks. the shining sets the mood really well, and the films cannibal holocaust and poltergeist have really calming main themes

im not super into newer horror films but the babadook was fantastic and i might watch the visit if its any good

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

a lot of people don't know that Poltergeist and Coach are in the same universe.

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

PinkoBastard posted:

I think Jaws is also a PG. pretty interesting stuff. I really like the guy who sold Craig T Nelson the house, he's a character actor named James Karen who was also in Return of the Living Dead. Also seconding the great practical effects work throughout. did you like it op?

Return of the Living Dead is one of my favorite 80s cult horror movies, hands down.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Glass Bottom Boat posted:

Return of the Living Dead is one of my favorite 80s cult horror movies, hands down.

SIDS Vicious

Salmiakki posted:

i love horror movies... i also love horror movie soundtracks. the shining sets the mood really well, and the films cannibal holocaust and poltergeist have really calming main themes

im not super into newer horror films but the babadook was fantastic and i might watch the visit if its any good

you need to watch it follows if you like horror movies and their sound tracks, its on american netflix. please watch it

Salmiakki

Celluloid Sam posted:

you need to watch it follows if you like horror movies and their sound tracks, its on american netflix. please watch it

im puttin it on my list of films to watch, thanks for the recommendation!

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

SIDS Vicious

Salmiakki posted:

im puttin it on my list of films to watch, thanks for the recommendation!

no worries its sound track is oh man so good. i put it on my headphones when its foggy at night and just walk around pretending im in a horror film

PinkoBastard
any Argento fans itt? love Deep Red and Suspiria. insanely good soundtracks and they just look incredible.

SIDS Vicious

PinkoBastard posted:

any Argento fans itt? love Deep Red and Suspiria. insanely good soundtracks and they just look incredible.

suspiria is one of the most gorgeous films ive ever seen

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Celluloid Sam posted:

no worries its sound track is oh man so good. i put it on my headphones when its foggy at night and just walk around pretending im in a horror film

You are.

...so close now...

:kheldragar:

PinkoBastard

Celluloid Sam posted:

suspiria is one of the most gorgeous films ive ever seen

I don't know wtf was going on in Italy in the 70s, but there sure we're some amazing fever-dream horror flicks coming out then.

for those interested in horror soundtracks, I'll second It Follows and also recommend that you check out City of the Living Dead by Fabio Frizzi and the work of Giuliano Sorgini, too, especially his soundtracks to The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue and the TV movie Zoo Folle. Goblin is required listening, too, particularly the aforementioned Argento films and their Dawn of the Dead soundtrack.

beer pal

it follows is really good. maybe my fave movie of 2015

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Robot Made of Meat

Hick Magnet posted:

I'm appreciating Children of the Corn right now because it only took about two minutes for the murders to start and there was no romance plot leading up to it.

Children of the Corn starts out with a huge 1970s Thundebird, so I like it.

Robot Made of Meat

Ralp posted:

yeah prior to about 1982 film pacing had not yet been invented so a lot of older horror movies are imho nearly unwatchable. Two examples stick out to me though that use the ultra-slow burn pace to terrific effect:
ALIEN, the perfect movie of all time, enough said.
and Rosemary's Baby. This one is glacial but it's so much the better for it, the suspense building is intricate and constant. When Ravel composed Bolero he could never get conductors to play it slowly enough, that's what Rosemary's Baby reminds me of.

Alien is utter crap.

Dark, wet, and boring does NOT make for good cinema.

ETA: They had a literal cat scare! That's how lame Alien was, it had to rely on the most idiotic cliche in all of horrordom.

alnilam

DeepQantas posted:

mike oldfield never gave them permission to use it in the movie :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Alien is utter crap.

that's insane, Alien isn't the absolute best movie I've ever seen, but it's very effective. at least you should be able to appreciate it in the context of the era when it was released. you guys prolly know this but it was also written by the guy that wrote/directed Return of the Living Dead.

• Locked thread