Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

Martin seems to not understand that the CIA's record in this region has been seventy years of continued failure on a catastrophic scale.

I'm just watching this right now, and that was my response to his rhetoric. I was just shaking my head and vacating my bowels. Just come the gently caress on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CornflakeS.Pecially posted:

Has anyone come up with a proper word to describe a vote for the Iraq occupation? Bernie uses "mistake" a lot, but that seems way to neutral to me. "Blunder" is a little better perhaps, but it also sounds too much like "party foul."

I'm tired of an egregious moral failure being whitewashed as a strategic error.
Is there a single word that means compliance in the unnecessary death of thousands of people?

But real talk, strategic failure is important to the discourse. The thing about Republicans and Moderate Dems is that they paint their lovely viewpoints as pragmatism. It's how they sidestep the moral issues of unrestrained capitalism or war. Bernie is smart because he deconstructs that false sense of pragmatism. The moral discourse around Iraq is a crapshoot because you end up with people like Hilary who will defend their ignorance or people who believe that the Saddam being a huge piece of poo poo justified their actions. It's harder to argue that Iraq wasn't just really loving awful foreign policy.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is Bernie Sanders calling WW2 a foreign policy blunder?
I'm going to wager that Sanders isn't the biggest fan of what happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And the resulting arms race.

Timeless Appeal has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Jan 18, 2016

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

But real talk, strategic failure is important to the discourse. The thing about Republicans and Moderate Dems is that they paint their lovely viewpoints as pragmatism. It's how they sidestep the moral issues of unrestrained capitalism or war. Bernie is smart because he deconstructs that false sense of pragmatism. The moral discourse around Iraq is a crapshoot because you end up with people like Hilary who will defend their ignorance or people who believe that the Saddam being a huge piece of poo poo justified their actions. It's harder to argue that Iraq wasn't just really loving awful foreign policy.

Oh yeah absolutely. Really important for Bernie to undercut all that "pragmatism" crap, especially with Hillary basically running on "competence."

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

zeal posted:

oh man, an undergraduate econ major playing devil's advocate, everybody hold on to your poo poo!

where's the devil's advocacy? there's nothing edgy about pointing out america's colossal, unquestionable universal power might come with some responsibility. white house man's burden, if you will. this poster just has some economic shading to add to the idea.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vox Nihili posted:

You're right, that really only applies to foreign policy, trade policy, and economic policy.

Trade policy's the only area where you could realistically make an argument that Obama is closer to Dubya than Bernie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

Trade policy's the only area where you could realistically make an argument that Obama is closer to Dubya than Bernie.

Don't forget foreign policy and expanding the surveillance state that was first started after 9/11

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Obama is pretty much Bush Lite. Great taste, less torture.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Obama is pretty much Bush Lite. Great taste, less torture.

better rear end than W

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

etalian posted:

better rear end than W

:chanpop:

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
Barack obooty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU