Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It won't get made with crowdfunding either

Based on what? Reactions to the all star cast, which they budgeted in with the stretch goals? Or the "they have 10 million dollars left" speculation where the numbers don't add up? Looking over their work, a lot of money and time has been spent on making the engine do things it wasn't meant to do, things that no engine is capable of doing. I'll give them a fair amount of leniency looking at their release timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Based on what? Reactions to the all star cast, which they budgeted in with the stretch goals? Or the "they have 10 million dollars left" speculation where the numbers don't add up? Looking over their work, a lot of money and time has been spent on making the engine do things it wasn't meant to do, things that no engine is capable of doing. I'll give them a fair amount of leniency looking at their release timeline.

Based on every demo they show off that ends up not working, probably.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Probably based on the whole it's been 4 years and check it out we got Luke Skywalker in a mocap suit. Meanwhile all they've released are non-cohesive modules that don't work.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 30, 2016

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Star Citizen is hilarious because no matter what happens with the project everyone is always disappointed. It's an ever moving goal post on both sides as the people who don't like it say everything isn't a game and the people who like it are really waiting for the next big thing that will never come.

Hanger was release? Oh that's not a game you can just look at a spaceship, but just wait cause once we can fly around that's gonna be the poo poo!

Flying around was release? See this isn't game you can only fly around a little bit, but just wait cause once the social poo poo ties it all together then you'll see!

Social poo poo comes out? Yeah see this isn't ever gonna be a thing you can only walk around a tiny station doing nothing, but just you wait cause once the open world comes out then it will really be something!

poo poo never ends from both sides.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So basically after 5 years, 100 mil and 300+ employees and like 6 global studios they got a tech demo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Ah Smedley..good old Smegma :smuggo:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

crew posted:

So basically after 5 years, 100 mil and 300+ employees and like 6 global studios they got a tech demo.

Basically. If they can keep the money coming in they should have a proper playable feature complete game in another four or five years.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The art in this looks pretty bad and just bland and generic. Even the original sprites from Ultima Online look better IMO.

I doubt their Kickstarter failed because they didn't have enough Twitch streamers shilling for them, or because they didn't have T-shirts with their lovely logo on them included in their pledges.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eonwe posted:

apparently they have the funding they need, but they were trying to go to kickstarter for some of the funds instead

This is true for virtually all Kickstarters.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Skaw posted:

Based on every demo they show off that ends up not working, probably.

So let me get this straight, a game using experimental technology that is 2 years (at the least away) crashes and is a bit unoptimized?

When it runs, I see the most important core mechanics working and looking pretty great. My poo poo didn't work great 2-3 years before release too, and it was much less ambitious than Star Citizen aims to be. Keep in mind that it has grown significantly from what it was in the original Kickstarter presentation, and they're still like two or three years away from what publishers and companies usually debut publicly with that kind of funding in this particular genre.

For example, ESO had a budget of 200m and was in production for 7 years, it debuted 5 years in.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 1, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So let me get this straight, a game using experimental technology that is 2 years (at the least away) crashes and is a bit unoptimized?

When it runs, I see the most important core mechanics working and looking pretty great. My poo poo didn't work great 2-3 years before release too, and it was much less ambitious than Star Citizen aims to be. Keep in mind that it has grown significantly from what it was in the original Kickstarter presentation, and they're still like two or three years away from what publishers and companies usually debut publicly with that kind of funding in this particular genre.

For example, ESO had a budget of 200m and was in production for 7 years, it debuted 5 years in.

If you really want to talk about star citizen, come to the thread. But after 4 years it is still a janky buggy piece of poo poo that doesn't even have the core features working properly(no idea where you got that impression).

Also CIG has said that it is coming out this year but they don't have any footage they can show to games websites so lol

Hesiod
Apr 17, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

ironic he has two eve ship models on his desk

He's pretty huge into EVE as a player.

RE: the "already had funding" thing, sure he can fund it. So can any AAA studio. There's a reason preorders happen though. I imagine there's reasons such as giving people a stake in the title and interested early on. I mean, there's obvious advantages to reducing the amount of self/private funding you're doing.

It's also not an MMO and I've at least not heard him pitch it that way so I dunno why people are making GBS threads on that aspect either.

The game itself as I had it described to me (and I'm now editorializing) was kind of like a cross between a multiplayer roguelike and a terraria-style survival/exploration game with a procedurally generated storyline. Not my cup of tea but not exactly what people seem to think it is either.

:edit: Disclosure: Smed's a friend of mine and I worked for him for a while. I'm not trying to defend him so much as share some of my understanding about this title with those who may be interested.

Hesiod fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 10, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whats experimental about SC lol

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
They're experimenting with how much money they can con out of idiot nerds before they catch on. I hear it's going pretty well. Seems there is even a true believer in this very thread!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

The Real Foogla posted:

whats experimental about SC lol

Their destruction tech, simulated gravity in different sectors of a ship/structure, the gameplay in general at a massive scale.

I certainly couldn't do what they're doing with CryEngine out of the box, I'd need to dive into the source code and add a ton of that functionality in.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Their destruction tech, simulated gravity in different sectors of a ship/structure, the gameplay in general at a massive scale.

I certainly couldn't do what they're doing with CryEngine out of the box, I'd need to dive into the source code and add a ton of that functionality in.

Cryengine couldn't do any of the stuff they want it to do and they did have to massively rewrite a lot of it and also poached several programmers from crytek because they had no idea what they were doing and then croberts admitted that cryengine was a mistake, hope that helps.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Rasmussen posted:

Cryengine couldn't do any of the stuff they want it to do and they did have to massively rewrite a lot of it and also poached several programmers from crytek because they had no idea what they were doing and then croberts admitted that cryengine was a mistake, hope that helps.

Talks about it @ 0:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhC4lQ6UJM&t=42s

The alternative is writing their own because none of the competition can do what they're trying to do either. If they went with the alternative of creating their own, they'd be two years behind putting them on a typical 7-8 year development cycle versus the five or six they're currently looking at with very little reward other than understanding the functionality inside and out. Not worth it.

I'm not a fanboy, I put in $30 and I'm waiting. If it's good, great. It'd be nice to have a really nice showcase for what the PC as a platform is capable of. If not, hopefully mod tools will still be released and I've already had $30 worth of fun dicking around in PU.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Talks about it @ 0:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhC4lQ6UJM&t=42s

The alternative is writing their own because none of the competition can do what they're trying to do either. If they went with the alternative of creating their own, they'd be two years behind putting them on a typical 7-8 year development cycle versus the five or six they're currently looking at with very little reward other than understanding the functionality inside and out. Not worth it.

I'm not a fanboy, I put in $30 and I'm waiting. If it's good, great. It'd be nice to have a really nice showcase for what the PC as a platform is capable of. If not, hopefully mod tools will still be released and I've already had $30 worth of fun dicking around in PU.

If they started with their own engine from scratch they probably wouldn't be in the hilarious all access dev hell that is everything top to bottom of their codebase because they wouldn't be furiously hammering a round peg into a square hole and hoping for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

None of these are new things in gaming, and they're not even attempting the last, unless you consider 30ish players in smallish mostly empty areas "massive".

New to CryEngine maybe, but so what?

• Locked thread