Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
And his Kick Stater was pulled within the first week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herossong/heros-song/posts/1474916

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Who?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hello

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

quote:

We're taking the Kickstarter down

After looking at our funding levels and the reality that we aren't going to reach our funding goals, we've decided that the best thing to do is to end the Kickstarter. We sincerely appreciate all of the support we got from the backers and the Kickstarter community. This was our first Kickstarter and we made mistakes along the way. I want to acknowledge that right up front. We put a lot of time and effort into the Kickstarter, but it's obvious missing things like physical goods hampered our efforts. It's also fair to say because we're early that we didn't have enough gameplay to show the game off enough to get people over the hump.

So where do we go from here? Well the good news is that our Investors are backing us all the way and we're going to get Hero's Song done exactly when we said we would. I'm also happy to say that we've been able to do this without having to take money from publishers, something that was of key importance to us so that we could remain in creative control.

We'll be updating you all along the way.. holding development streams (on Cohhcarnage's stream on Twitch) and being completely transparent with our development process. You'll be hearing from us all the time and we'll be updating our website and all of you on a constant basis as we have cool stuff to show.

Thanks again for all the support you've shown, and thanks for the constructive criticism as well. We took that to heart and we've learned a lot from it.

Kickstarter remains an incredible source of both goodwill and community support, and we'll never forget the kindness our backers showed us.

Thanks and we'll see you soon!

Smed and the Pixelmage Games Team.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had actually pledged $25 for this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
apparently they have the funding they need, but they were trying to go to kickstarter for some of the funds instead

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Good. Guy needs to just loving retire.

Delusional fucks still think they are gonna crank out a mmo game in a single year. I bet they got a crusty napkin with the game design written on it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

apparently they have the funding they need, but they were trying to go to kickstarter for some of the funds instead

scummy

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Eonwe posted:

I had actually pledged $25 for this

Same.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It's Smedley so nobody should be surprised.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

800k for a 2D Isometric?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

crew posted:

800k for a 2D Isometric?

They already had all their funding too, they just wanted some cream off the top. :jerkbag:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rasmussen posted:

They already had all their funding too, they just wanted some cream off the top. :jerkbag:

The 800 large must be Smedley's salary for the 2 months it takes to make this game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Smeds is a true gamer.

http://www.pcgamer.com/show-us-your-rig-john-smedley/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm pretty jelly of that pc gently caress Smedley

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

crew posted:

I'm pretty jelly of that pc gently caress Smedley

He has the same monitor as me. It's v nice.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

That little rascal always up to no good.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
hello fans of smedley

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Why is that scummy? If you can get rid of the third parties who always meddle in the product's design, why not go direct to your customers in order to avoid those types at all costs?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Time has indeed flown past if no bitter SWG player has appeared in this thread to exult at this victory over their Great Satan.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Unrelated to smedley things... Accepting Kickstarter or other early funding just seems awful. After reading the forums for some of these new age crowd funded mmos and each player feeling entirely entitled to tell you how fuckimg dumb you are for not implementing their childhood dream sounds like a new level of hell.

They say bad publicity is still good but that's not really true in the mmo market and you will just get poo poo on by bitter backers.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Blazing Zero posted:

hello fans of smedley

How are you doin'?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Who's Smedley and why should I give a poo poo?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

-Troika- posted:

Who's Smedley and why should I give a poo poo?

He's a fat man who ruined Star Wars Galaxy by turning it from an OK sandbox mmo into a really bad arpg. At the time he made a bunch of posts saying gently caress the old customers we want some of that World of Warcraft pie. Then everyone left and it died. :rip:

Also he made Everquest. It was bad but it was 3d and poopsockers loved it so it made lots of money compared to Ultima Online.

Come to think of it he's probably done more to ruin sandbox mmos than any other dude.

His new pixel game looked quite good though.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Berious posted:

He's a fat man who ruined Star Wars Galaxy by turning it from an OK sandbox mmo into a really bad arpg. At the time he made a bunch of posts saying gently caress the old customers we want some of that World of Warcraft pie. Then everyone left and it died. :rip:

Also he made Everquest. It was bad but it was 3d and poopsockers loved it so it made lots of money compared to Ultima Online.

Come to think of it he's probably done more to ruin sandbox mmos than any other dude.

Didnt he kill Vanguard too? Or at least gently caress up the launch..

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I sometimes get MMO dyslexia and confuse Smedley for McQuaid and vice versa. Anyone else have this problem?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Berious posted:

ironic he has two eve ship models on his desk

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

crew posted:

I'm sure if he's the one that shut it down as I think he may have been out at the time, but he's the one that Brad sucked up to to get SOE to pick it up after Microsoft dropped them.

Honestly people should know by now that Smedley and Brad are names to run from.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

crew posted:

I think he hosed it up just by being Smegley. At that time, the press and MMO players were so disgusted by the ruining of a perfectly good game. Smeg had to assure players that SOE wasn't going to make the same mistake with Vanguard. It didn't really work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Always within arms reach - my buckyballs. I'm always messing with those things when I'm reading or at my computer.

:laugh: im a child

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Why is that scummy? If you can get rid of the third parties who always meddle in the product's design, why not go direct to your customers in order to avoid those types at all costs?

Rasmussen posted:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

crew posted:

Vanguard was all on Brad McQuaid's shoulders. Smedley picked up Vanguard for a bargain bin price and kept the game on life support until it became clear that the server space was better spent elsewhere. For all that Smed's done in the past, he kept the Vanguard lights on for a while when no one else in the universe would've.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West

Freakazoid_ posted:

I sometimes get MMO dyslexia and confuse Smedley for McQuaid and vice versa. Anyone else have this problem?

Smedley is fat. McQuaid is on pills.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Also Smedley probably would not create an account on here just to try to raise interest in his game.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
is he going to pay mlg to take his new pixel platformer game just like ps2

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Endie posted:

Time has indeed flown past if no bitter SWG player has appeared in this thread to exult at this victory over their Great Satan.

I am a bitter SWG player. gently caress Smedley.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Star Citizen.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
it's too late; I already wasted my cash on a different old failure of a developer. i bought Shroud of the Avatar.

JOKE'S ON ME

(but at least i didn't fund Star Citizen)

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

You mean that game that sandbox MMO which would've never gotten made without crowdfunding? I'll shitpost about buying JPEGs with the rest of you guys, but it's not exactly the worst example of crowdfunding out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You mean that game that sandbox MMO which would've never gotten made without crowdfunding? I'll shitpost about buying JPEGs with the rest of you guys, but it's not exactly the worst example of crowdfunding out there.

It won't get made with crowdfunding either

• Locked thread