Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I went to Georgia/Mizzou the first year Mizzou was in the SEC and Mizzou's stadium is terrible. The jumbotron is tiny and it feels like a slightly bigger high school stadium.

Mizzou stuck an upper deck on one side of the field, so that's cute of them. What's great about that is that it's a part of their master plan to make their stadium a ripoff of Bryant-Denny Stadium, I mean come the hell on, Mizzou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MAC stadium postin' :hfive:

Doyt Perry Stadium, Bowling Green, Ohio

What do you think of it?

As MAC stadiums go? It's alright. In need up some upgrades and those plans just got finalized.

When did you first go? Can you remember the game?

I've been going to games ever since I was a kid. My parents are alums and have season tickets.

What was it like to go take a game in there?

Inexpensive and fun. The crowd isn't super loud but over the last few years BG has installed a video game offense and seeing lots of long passes and trick plays is always a ball.

What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?

See that building on the north end/left side? The alum who donated the money for it was in band himself so he made sure to build seats for them and have everything sorta curved, so the band could play into the stadium instead of being stuck in the regular bleachers in a corner or something.

Is there any interesting history behind the building?

Not as much until about 2006. We had a game against Miami (OH) and the rain had been pouring all day and quickly turned the field into a mud pit. ESPN was covering the game and Lou Holtz (he, May and Davis were calling the game) said this was the worst field conditions he'd ever seen and something had to be done. The next year we had FieldTurf installed, and Ohio State sent administrators up to see how it looked, and then installed it in Ohio Stadium as well. Neat.

Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states? (because I'd quite like if I could get a few posts on college stadiums too).

As college football goes, Bowling Green and the MAC are nowhere near the levels of schools like Michigan, OSU, Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc. in terms of atmosphere, prestige, etc, but every once in a while we get to play teams like those and now and again we either beat or scare the hell out of them and that's fun :toot:

It seats around 24,000 so it's not going to set any records, but tickets are cheap and every so often we get a bigger name team on the schedule to come in, so that's fun.

If you don't believe it already is the best stadium, what do you think is?

I've been to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and was on the sidelines next to the Florida bench when this happened, and I couldn't hear myself think, so I've always liked it.

Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin has that "jump around" tradition after the 3rd quarter and that was cool.

Gaylord Family Stadium in Norman Oklahoma had just completed renovations in 2003 when I visited with BG for the season opener and that looked nice.

What do you think the worst football stadium is?

Woof, it's hard to look at Eastern Michigan's. Ryan Stadium has been mentioned before and it sounds like they're finally planning to renovate that place. Holy poo poo it needs it.

I'm going to also slot Michigan's "Big House" in here, not as a bad stadium, but as an astoundingly overrated one. The old rear end bowl shape, the super crammed seats, and it's just not that loud.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ericsson Stadium Bank of American Stadium in homogenous Charlotte, North Carolina

What do you think of it?
Perfectly acceptable stadium. Simple and to the point. Well designed. Recently upgraded with all the shiny bells and whistles that all the assholes care about. Really good turf after an incident in 2001 that involved Dan Morgan shredding his leg while being stiff armed by Brett Favre. One of the best draining fields in the country supposedly which is funny because i've been there twice during flash flooding.

When did you first go? Can you remember the game?

First season it opened, in 1996. I'm sure I went to the preseason games but I don't remember them. The Panthers opened against the Falcons and kicked their rear end. They went undefeated at home that year. Everyone in attendance got a nice little coin that they were going to do every single year but stopped after like 1997.

What was it like to go take a game in there?

It is a very quiet, respectful, well mannered affair. Men are in their nicest polos and the ladies wear their finest sun dresses. People are expected to be seated promptly by the second quarter. Cheering is to remain family friendly and respectful of those around you. Standing is encouraged during appropriate times, like after scoring touchdowns, or the invocation at the beginning of the game.

What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?

there's nothing unique about it. It's a good but unremarkable stadium in a good but unremarkable city filled with generally good but unremarkable people.

We have Panthers at two entrances.

BUT WE GOT CAM BITCH

Is there any interesting history behind the building?

First stadium built using PSLs to finance. The idea being the wealthy Charlotteans would bear the load for something they wanted, and to help supplement the considerable financing secured by Jerry richardson. Now that model is used to screw over dumb schmucks. Oops

Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states?

Who the gently caress even knows. It's better than the loving Georgia Dome so there's that.

Talladega, bitch

What do you think the worst football stadium is?

Georgia Dome

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Old Mile High Stadium

What did you think of it?

This stadium was demolished in 2002, but it had a lot of charm and was loud as gently caress.

When did you first go?

I actually went to the inaugural game for the Colorado Rockies there in 1993. At the time, Coors Field wasn't built so they played games at Mile High, breaking several attendance records to ballgames as it was a stadium and could hold 30,000 more people than Coors Field. I was 8 at the time, and I remember Eric Young hitting the first homerun a Rockie ever hit, and how unfuckingbelievably loud it was there; I still remember that to this day. There's a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vymdglvAn1Q but it doesn't do close to justice as to how unfathomably loud that place was.

What was it like going to a game there?

Nothing overwhelming, except for the nervous feeling you would get that the noise would cause the building to collapse. People use to stamp their feet in the stands which created a huge rumble they called "Mile High Thunder" and the whole stadium literally vibrated. Swear to poo poo many times I thought that fucker would just fall apart. That stadium was old as hell and I am not surprised we built a new one.

What makes it interesting/unique?

When it was demolished season ticket holders could buy the physical seats. My uncle has four stand chairs at his house of the seats him and my grandparents owned since the Broncos started playing in the 60s. The horse on top of the new stadium is the same horse that was from the old stadium.

Any interesting history?

Besides the fact that the Rockies played there while Coors Field was built, not much, except it was originally built for minor-league baseball in the 50s originally. The major parking lots to the south of the new stadium are where the stadium used to stand.

Where do you think it ranks?

Ignore every stadium built since the 90s and I would say there was no place better. The open Colorado atmosphere with the loud crowds created such a fun, unique experience I don't feel in the new stadium. However, many great stadiums have been built since it was demolished and it wouldn't hold a dime to them now; it was nostalgic but really, really old.

If not the best, then what?

I have not been to a lot of stadiums, and I am such a homer I would say Coors Field. Sure, it's not a football stadium, but it is loving nice.

What is the worst?

Of the ones I have been to, Levi Stadium sucks balls. What an awful location for a stadium.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I always like how they could move the entire portion of the Mile High stands facing you in that picture to make room for baseball.

Way better than various tarped off sections and obstructed views you usually got with multi-use stadiums.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

FIRST TIME posted:

That looks like a glorified high school football field.

Maybe in a "football state," but in northern California? Not even close; this is my local HS football field:

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2016

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Coldforge posted:

Maybe in a "football state," but in northern California? Not even close; this is my local HS football field:

Edit out the hills in the background and you could convince me that this is the field from my high school in MN. Those stadiums from HS football states are insane.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

I always like how they could move the entire portion of the Mile High stands facing you in that picture to make room for baseball.

Way better than various tarped off sections and obstructed views you usually got with multi-use stadiums.

Three Rivers could do this too, but all it did was shake a lot and scare little kid me

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Coco13 posted:

Northwestern. gently caress that entire scene. No bars nearby. Looks like a space shuttle crashed.

good, we don't want you there
If you're a Big Ten fan, Ryan Field is terrible and you should certainly not show up alongside 25,000 other opposing fans, you'd hate it, it's bad, stay home and watch it one of your thousand bars in Chicago.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 7, 2016

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
NRG Stadium - Houston, TX - Texans

Home of the Houston Texans, and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. There are a lot of monster truck rallies here as well as the Texas state HS football championship. I think a few bowl games are played there too. I really haven't been to any other stadiums outside of Houston so my views on other stadiums is limited.

- What do you think of it?

It's a good stadium, I wouldn't rate it as best in Texas, but it is good. Has good sight lines not much obstructed views, lots of good choices of (expensive as hell) beer and food. Maybe a little on the unremarkable side but the Texans don't have much history so it kind of goes with the territory.

- When did you first go? Can you remember the game?

Monday/Thursday (can't remember which) against Jacksonville in 2007/08. Texans won pretty handily
Best game I ever took in was the second home playoff game against the Bengals, in which Andy Dalton began to solidify the theory of Bad Andy.

- What was it like to go take a game in there?

When the Texans are good it's a loud and intense atmosphere. When they are not good it's fairly depressing and Houston fans have been known to act like idiots on national tv. The murals and the different bars and whatnot are fairly nice, there's plenty of decent looking restrooms. The turf is awful, I do have to mention that. It is the destroyer of knees and always an eyesore on tv. All in all its a good place to watch a football game. The parking can be pretty cheap ($7.50) that has an efficient light rail system that drops you off at the stadium, but if you want to tailgate with your vehicle it's pricey. Which brings me to...

- What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?

The tailgate is pretty boss. Five or six lots worth of all kinds of people grilling, drinking, and discussion of "gently caress the Cowboys" as much as you can handle. Tailgating has always been encouraged by the Texans and it is good. If you go, you have to at least walk through it if not stop in and meet new people.

- Is there any interesting history behind the building?

There's a lot more history in the rat hole next door, formerly known as the Astrodome. The Houston Oilers (now the Titans) played there for decades and had many spectacular playoff losses there. NRG Stadium was home of the Janet Jackson nipple slip, so it does at least have a unique event tied to it.

- Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states? (because I'd quite like if I could get a few posts on college stadiums too).

I've only been to two other stadiums in Texas (TDECU for University of Houston, and Bobcat Stadium in San Marcos, TX home of Texas State), so I can't say that NRG Stadium is better than Jerry World or Kyle Field for Texas A&M. I would be hesitant to put it above the stadium at the University of Texas because I have never been to a game there.

- If you don't believe it already is the best stadium, what do you think is?

For Texas, probably Jerry World/Kyle Field depending on what you prefer pro or college ball.

- What do you think the worst football stadium is?

Any place that the Dallas Cowboys are playing in.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 7, 2016

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Coldforge posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of one of those high schools in like Texas or wherever where they treat teenagers getting concussed like a religion.

Part of it too is how there's nothing cool to see on the horizon since it's way the gently caress out and away from SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

Talladega, bitch
A fine place to spend a Sunday in early May watching cars go flippy flippy, but this is FOOTBAW so let's get some football in here.

Battle At Bristol: Bristol Motor Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbBFD4P8YsQ

150,000+ screaming fans from two fanbases that are known for travelling well will meet at the halfway point between schools to set college football records. I have no idea how the actual game experience will be, but I'm hoping somewhere around the level of Epic.

• Locked thread