Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
This is a question I asked over in the Newbie thread but it could maybe lead to more expansive answers by asking in its own thread; I just finished out my first year of NFL fandom here in the United Kingdom. Some of you may remember the thread where I asked you all to pitch me your teams. After a great thread full of interesting posts I narrowed the teams down to the Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers and New York Giants.

I picked the Giants, I regret nothing.

But my point is as a fan overseas there are a lot of things I can't really learn about from watching the games on Sunday or staying up til 2am to watch the Giants pick a player I'd never heard of in the draft and what the experience is like for you all in your respective stadiums is one of them

My question this time is for you to give me a brief overview of your teams stadium such as,

- What do you think of it?
- When did you first go? Can you remember the game?
- What was it like to go take a game in there?
- What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?
- Is there any interesting history behind the building?
- Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states? (because I'd quite like if I could get a few posts on college stadiums too).
- If you don't believe it already is the best stadium, what do you think is?
- What do you think the worst football stadium is?

It's the offseason for a long time yet, I'm hoping I can get some decent info out of this much like I did the last thread.

Cheers guys

El Seano fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I'm a college guy, specifically a fan of Virginia Tech so I'll do this for Lane Stadium where the Hokies play.

quote:

I like it a lot. It's a great building with plenty of good sightlines. It doesn't have all the modern amenities you get in a Jerry World or something but it also way better that something like Legion Field.

quote:

I first went as a freshman at VT in the fall of 2004. Don't remember specifically who was the opponent or much about the game. Google tells me it was a blow out against Western Michigan so that is likely why I don't remember.

quote:

I love it. The place gets LOUD(see video below) and really is an amazing environment to be in. Especially in the student section. People are generally friendly to opposing fans unless you're from WVU or maybe UVA.

quote:

- What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?
Enter Sandman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crhWP__g-_c

It's always played for the teams entrance, but they do occasionally play it at big moments in a game like this. There are plenty of other traditions which the wiki page on Lane covers pretty well. Enter Sandman is far and away the most important one however.

quote:

It was the location of a game in a literal hurricane in 2003 against Texas A&M. Also say the only win we've ever had against a top 5 team against Miami in 2003. The ignominy of the BC comeback in 2007 lived on for at least a year in Sports Center ads(loving Matt Ryan). And the comeback against Nebraska in 2009 was amazing and I highly recommend looking up that last drive on YouTube.

quote:

- Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states? (because I'd quite like if I could get a few posts on college stadiums too).
I am biased but I think it ranks in kinda the second tier of college stadiums. Not up there with the Big House(Michigan) or the Swamp(Florida), but more comparable to maybe Autzen(Oregon) or Death Valley(Clemson). It is usually in the top 25-30 or most stadium rankings which I feel is probably about right.

quote:

I'm not sure honestly. I haven't been to a whole lot of other football stadiums, but I'd say that any of the 100,000+ stadiums are above it, other than maybe Michigan since that place is supposedly silent. Stadiums in great locations or with great traditions like Death Valley at LSU(yes there are two stadiums called that) or Huskey Stadium or Camp Randall might be above it. As for the number 1 best though I've got no idea what I'd say honestly.

quote:

- Alternatively, if you don't already believe it is the worst stadium, what do you think is?
In the ACC I'd probably say Miami. They play in the Dolphins stadium which is like 30 milse from campus and no ones goes to games. It's an awful environment.

Overall probably Eastern MIchigan. Their field color is awful and makes games there look so strange. gently caress that place.

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2016

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The only NFL stadiums I've been to are arrowhead and the Metrodome. Arrowhead is very cool and I had awesome seats. There was no coffee anywhere and it was cold as gently caress.

The Metrodome was a shithole in 1998, I can't imagine how it was near the end.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Anaranjado posted:

The Metrodome was a shithole in 1998, I can't imagine how it was near the end.

God finally said "Enough of this bullshit" and ended it himself.

The first game I ever saw was on Nov. 1998 when the Vikings played the Bengals. The Vikings won 24-3 and I got to watch from box seats my dad got from a friend. It was cool as poo poo, and I got to see Randy Moss catch a 40+ yard touchdown in front of me.

Other then that all I remember is it was loud. My Dad and I couldn't hear each other talk, even when we closed to the window to try and drown out the noise.

I will also say it was really cool to watch The Twins play there. 5$ standing room only seats with a student ID on Tuesdays, along with it being 1$ dog day.

My new stadium is huge and is going to be cool as poo poo.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 4, 2016

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS, CENTURY LINK

edit: oh right, pictures

I have been to only a handful of pro NFL stadiums, but I freaking love our stadium.

Don't remember, 2007? I was also there during the 2010 beastquake game and it ruled more than everything ever. From that game, I ended up in a Seahawks commercial.

It's awesome and centrally located right next to Seattle's downtown and downtown transit hub so getting there is super convenient. Also, because of it's open plan and location, you can see the all sorts of dope poo poo on a nice day.

It is right in the dang middle of downtown Seattle. Pre-gaming before and after is awesome. It is designed to amplify acoustics, which makes a great environment to be loud for our defense. It's also curved on both sides, which means every seat is great.

It's dope. It has a decent green-energy/recycled construction rating.

I honestly can't think of a stadium I would like more. Maybe the Dolphins when it's completely renovated and they have those swanky pool things? That sounds gross though.

I legit think ours is the best.

Either San Diego or Oakland

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 5, 2016

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Look upon the majesty that is Beaver Stadium at Penn State

Really freaking huge.

2004, Akron at Penn State. I remember it pretty clearly. Akron got destroyed because they were garbage at the time.

It really varies. If the opponent is bad, there's not a lot of energy in the place. Even when the home team is bad, things are up for a big opponent. In 2005, the Penn State-Ohio State game was between two good teams, both in the running for their conference championship and maybe an outside shot at the national title, and it was the best football night I've ever attended in person. And it was in the rain even.

Sheer size. Its the third largest on the planet (second in Western Hemisphere, second in US). And #1 is in North Korea, which is practically cheating. The student section on its own holds almost as much as a lot of smaller college's stadiums.

In 1960, they cut it off its foundation and moved it a couple miles down the road. It was smaller back then.

Its in the top tier of overall gameday experiences in college and one of the loudest stadiums. As far as the actual stadium, its pretty old and shows it. Its rough around the edges and under the seating areas is fairly primitive. Although a lot of the bigger college stadiums are actually dumps because of their age, size, and college stadiums do things different than pro. Pro could never have bleacher seating, but college...well yeah that's just what you do in college.

Of the stadiums I've been in (Beaver, Neyland at the University of Tennessee, whatever that dump in Miami is called nowadays, Raymond James (Tampa's stadium), and FedEx Field (Skins), Heinz (Steelers), and Three Rivers (old Steelers)), Raymond James was nice. That was 10 years ago and it was pretty young at the time. It could be horrible now for all I know.

I didn't go inside, but I saw Northwestern's stadium and it made me feel bad in my soul.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Camp Randall, home of the University of Wisconsin Badgers.

The last Saturday of April, the athletic alumni foundation sponsors an 8k (5 mile) run that starts at the Capital, going through campus to end on the 50 yard line. Thousands of people run each year, and I don't think it's out of health. In some small part, it's a chance to hang out with friends and get a few beers in the stadium. (Yes, beer at a NCAA facility. Crazy.)

I wasn't into sports back then, but my mom tells me it was a Ron Dayne game. Probably a non-conference, or a crud conference game. First I can put emotion to was the 2004 opener against UCF, where Wisconsin ran all over them.

The worst is a bad 11 AM kickoff against a MAC team that's basically 'well, drink a poo poo ton before during and after. The peak is a conference night game. Nearby bars will start having one-out one-in lines 2 hours beforehand. The entire Isthmus is a mess to drive through all day. Everyone's Wisconsin drunk. All roads to Camp Randall are swarmed with red.

Then something wonderful happens.

4th oldest stadium in NCAA. Attached on the north side is the Field House, which is where volleyball and wrestling host events, and where basketball used to be. Instead of a traditional tailgating scene with open parking lots, Camp Randall tailgating is mostly bars and house parties, age dependent. Good loving beer scene around the stadium, since it's more bars than parking.

The current location of Camp Randall is the training grounds of Union soldiers. 'Randall' was the governor of Wisconsin at the time.

Top 15ish. The crowd can be finicky, especially for games against crappy teams or in bad weather. But, no matter what, the stadium is full between the 3rd and 4th quarter. Here's another where someone literally broke the scoreboard.
There's also the traditional 5th quarter, where the marching band plays the hits for 20 minutes because from 1962 to 1992 the team was awful. Now it's tradition.

A short list of stadiums I want to see a game at / have been at: Tiger Stadium, Lane Stadium, Rose Bowl, Lambeau Field, CenturyLink, Sanford Stadium.

Northwestern. gently caress that entire scene. No bars nearby. Looks like a space shuttle crashed.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Paul Brown is where Cinci plays. It's a pretty nondescript open air stadium, but it's louder than the others I've been to. Food in stadium sucks, eat on Vine.

Worst I've been to is the Falcons stadium, but the Colts one is white bread as gently caress too. I want to go to the new Vikings stadium, the Bears stadium and the Seahawks stadium.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It was awesome. Tons of history, parking was easy, leaving was easy, good view of the game, and the jumbotron was easily visible as well.

Last year. Yeah. We beat the Bills. Smith floated a nice pass to Maclin down the sideline and into the endzone and it looked like he was running straight for me as he caught it over the shoulder and ran it in. Also Justin Houston got leg whipped by Ron Parker.

Awesome. I had no voice for a week. It was like 40 and raining. We took the mini-van and the wives hung out in there while we tailgated and drank profusely. Tailgating was awesome, the fans were awesome, the staff was awesome and the game was awesome. If I didn't have a million children, I would go every time there was a game.

It's Arrowhead. Best tailgating in the country (not that I have anything to compare it to. It's got tons of history, a unique design, and it doesn't have some tacky name like "Sports Authority Field"

There was a plan to have a roof that could be rolled between Arrowhead and Kaufman, making either a covered stadium at any given time, but the tax didn't pass so it never happened. It still gets floated as a possibility every now and then with the promise of "hey maybe we'd get a Super Bowl" but no one in KC wants a Super Bowl because traffic is bad enough and we don't have the infrastructure to deal with the NFL's bullshit.

It's not going to be the nicest, because JerryWorld exists, but it's great. I don't think there's another atmosphere like it.

JerryWorld sticks out, but I'm sure there are tons of college stadiums that have better amenities.

I have no actual frame of reference, but I would guess the Browns or the Raiders have the worst. Probably the Raiders, what with the literal poo poo backing up into the locker rooms.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
"My" stadium

Behold, the TRANS WORLD DOME EDWARD JONES DOME THE DOME AT AMERICA'S CENTER WHO THE gently caress CARES ANYMORE

What do you think of it?
It's really bad. Alternatively, ¯\(°_o)/¯

When did you first go? Can you remember the game?
Saw the Rams play there for the first time when I was ~10, so the '99 season. Greatest Show on Turf!!

What was it like to go take a game in there?
Great, when I was a kid! As an adult it sucked because the parking and tailgating was loving terrible and also I was going to see the post-GSOT Rams. Who are and were very bad.

What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?
There's no team to play there anymore! That's pretty unique!!

Is there any interesting history behind the building?
Nope! It was finished in 1995 and it's really boring and bad. One of the lowest ranked stadiums in the NFL! Nothing interesting about it unless you consider how badly the city got ripped off interesting.

Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states?
The Rams left and the Mizzou/Illinois Arch Rivalry game is dead with the SEC move so it's pretty much the worst by default because no one actually plays football there.

If you don't believe it already is the best stadium, what do you think is?

They'll never leave me!!

What do you think the worst football stadium is?

Among the stadiums where people actually play football, probably The Coliseum. Also Northwestern's stadium sucks really bad.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Sash! posted:

Look upon the majesty that is Beaver Stadium at Penn State

I'm not a Penn State fan but I have friends who attended there/still go there and I can confirm it's large as I go to a game every year.

Tailgating there was fun as gently caress and even though the way their fan base still defends JoePa is gross, I couldn't help but be impressed the past few years how energized the crowd was despite not having a very good team. Also it's a very fun campus to visit outside of football as well..

I'm glad they're probably going to renovate the stadium though. It's not in the greatest of shape.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Ty1990 posted:

I'm not a Penn State fan but I have friends who attended there/still go there and I can confirm it's large as I go to a game every year.

Tailgating there was fun as gently caress and even though the way their fan base still defends JoePa is gross, I couldn't help but be impressed the past few years how energized the crowd was despite not having a very good team. Also it's a very fun campus to visit outside of football as well..

I'm glad they're probably going to renovate the stadium though. It's not in the greatest of shape.

Best ice cream in the USA.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MrLogan posted:

Best ice cream in the USA.

Sandusky Blitz

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA, home of the University of Georgia Bulldogs. My answers will skew toward the college game.

What do you think of it?
Pretty. Large. Pretty large. But surprisingly doesn't have a huge footprint, because it's sunk in the lowest point of Georgia's campus and surrounded by school buildings. Somehow they manage to hide a 92K-seat stadium in the middle of campus, which is kinda neat when it sneaks up on you.

When did you first go? Can you remember the game?

Georgia/Arkansas State, 2001. Mark Richt's first game in Athens. Dawgs won in a cloudy blowout. 2001 UGA wasn't a great team, but they would (in retrospect) prevent Tennessee from playing for the natty, which, heh.

What was it like to go take a game in there?

Sanford's big but it's not super-loud because one of its end zones is open (more on that in a sec). Home fans alternate between delusional and furious (Fire Bobo(TM)) and snarky and bemused (basically all of 2015).

What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?

The hedges, which have been ripped off elsewhere (hi, Auburn). The tombs of Ugas (Georgia's live bulldog mascots) inside the stadium, which is silly in the broad picture but cool in a college-foobaw-gonna-college-foobaw way. That the stadium goes east-west and has an open end, so the sun sets into the stadium for afternoon games.

Is there any interesting history behind the building?

Built in 1929 because UGA was butthurt over Georgia Tech having such a "big stadium" advantage at the time. Yeah, that didn't last. Capacity has gone up and up and up over time, but has been done in a way that nothing looks tacked on, unlike, say, Texas A&M. Home of soccer games during the 1996 Olympics. 11th largest non-racing stadium in the US, 18th largest in the world.

Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states? (because I'd quite like if I could get a few posts on college stadiums too).
Probably the prettiest in the Southeast, but not the best atmosphere. If you want a bonkers, all-out experience, go elsewhere. If you want a fine setting to take in a blowout against a patsy and then go get hammered in some college bars, nothing finer.

If you don't believe it already is the best stadium, what do you think is?

I've only ever been to stadiums in the South. Of that, LSU's Tiger Stadium is tops.

What do you think the worst football stadium is?

It's Williams-Brice Stadium, and then everyone else.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 5, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I pay 2% more every time I go out to eat so my teams stadium can have a roof that opens for one game a year. Did I mention they didn't have money to put drains in the field so if it were to rain it would be water polo?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Since Beaver was already taken, let me share with you the stadium of my current employer

BEHOLD DELAWARE STADIUM

lol

no lol

sub-texas high school football

No taxes on tickets. Joe Flacco mural.

it is one of the few college football stadiums to have decreased seating in its history

It is inarguably the best football stadium in the state.

Beaver mother fucker. Beaver.

Lubick is close but dang its this one. At least Lubick has nice things to look at other than the football.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Delaware is a tollbooth masquerading as a state.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Delaware is a tollbooth masquerading as a state.

True fact, you can go around the tollbooth on I-95 in Delaware but we won't tell you how :ssh:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

US Bank Stadium - Minneapolis, MN (see pic above)

It looks very big and new.

Never, it's not open yet.

See above.

It is supposed to look like a boat, whereas other stadiums do not.

It isn't open yet, but a dude already died there.

Most likely other teams will forfeit games and/or try to destroy their own stadiums after witnessing its majesty in person (NOTE: speculation as it is not yet open)

Target Field is pretty nice, but that's baseball.

Ross makes Qualcomm sound like quite the Hell hole.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Levi's Stadium was designed for San Francisco, a city with gorgeous hills, an eclectic & attractive city-scape, and cool, breezy weather (with frequent fog). Unfortunately they plopped it down - with no changes - at the north end of Santa Clara, a warm-to-hot city without much wind, and too far from any of the area's numerous visual wonders to offer a picturesque view.

And so: It's hot, there's no shade anywhere, and there's a nasty reflected-light glare off the tower of suites; which I guess is fine, because there's nothing to look at anyway. They also can't get the turf to last more than half a game. At least the structure looks nice and has good views of the field, and works great for night time events like concerts and monster truck rallies.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The new Vikings stadium is causing the needless deaths of thousands of innocent migratory birds.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Since NFL and CFB are obviously not a home thing for me, who'd be interested in a post about my local soccer stadium?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Cruel and Unusual posted:

The new Vikings stadium is causing the needless deaths of thousands of innocent migratory birds.

Mostly ravens and falcons along with the occasional cardinal, but also eagles and sometimes seahawks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Since NFL and CFB are obviously not a home thing for me, who'd be interested in a post about my local soccer stadium?

Ya

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I guess mine is MetLife and it's totally unremarkable. There's nothing around it because it's in the middle of a literal swamp. The tail gating's okay. It just seems largely devoid of character, maybe because it has to house two different teams. Kind of like if you created a Madden franchise and you chose Default Stadium C.

The trip is a pain in the dick via train (you have to TRANSFER from Penn Station!!), but it is admittedly nice to have that option at all. It's preferable to having a DD and being stranded in a parking lot for two hours.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Celtic Park (AKA Parkhead), home of Celtic FC.

I actually really love it, despite the numerous massive design flaws (I'll go into those later). With the renovations being done, one in particular being bringing back standing areas, it should be even better.

2003, the day after my 10th birthday. 3-1 win over Kilmarnock.

The atmosphere is amazing. With the way it's designed, with the roofs over all of the stands toward the field, it gets loving LOUD, far louder than any other stadium I've been to.

The Green Brigade. For those that don't know, there's a breed of soccer fans called Ultras. Basically, the hardcore-est of the hardcore. The Green Brigade is the Celtic ultras. They always occupy the same stand in the stadium, and come out in force for every game (but especially against the cross-town rivals, Rangers).

Think of the Oakland Black Hole then multiply it.

It's the largest stadium in Scotland, by a fairly significant margin. Our national team's home stadium is smaller. It burned down in 1927, reopened in 1929 and almost immediately burned down again. The owners actually have to lie about the record attendance, because it's around 30,000 higher than the official capacity, which is obviously a huge risk.

In terms of other soccer stadiums in the UK: It's the best in Scotland, at least. A lot of the bigger stadiums in England eclipse it in size, but it's still an amazing atmosphere.

It is the best.

I could be glib and say Rangers, just because of rivalry, but I'll give this to my ACTUAL local team (they play in a lower division).

That's a capacity of 2,050 people, apparently, although if there's a lot of away fans, they have been known to break out the folding chairs.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 5, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably say Levis seems like the worst to me, or Fedex. gently caress Jed imo.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Soccer Filth

Mods?!?!?!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FedEx isn't too bad. I have literally no memory of the stadium between the gate and the seats, which may or may not be a good thing. Those moron dream seats are both incredibly and horrible garbage. When they're in the red zone on your end zone, its literally the best. The rest of the game holy crap no.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Sash! posted:

FedEx isn't too bad. I have literally no memory of the stadium between the gate and the seats, which may or may not be a good thing. Those moron dream seats are both incredibly and horrible garbage. When they're in the red zone on your end zone, its literally the best. The rest of the game holy crap no.

FedEx is horrendous.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MrLogan posted:

FedEx is horrendous.

Whereas Levi's is far from horrendous, it's just annoying for being brand new and so poorly thought out.

It's a very nice stadium for anything not involving daytime sporting events, which is unfortunate for a stadium built primarily for a daytime sport.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Let's talk about Qualcomm in San Diego, California, current home to the Chargers.

It kind of sucks actually. Think of the ugliest possible way to build a stadium in your mind and what that would look like. Now forget all that because it's worse.

My first game there was 2014, the Chargers played the Seahawks in week 2. I got tickets to go for my birthday and it was loving amazing and more than worth it. It was 120 degrees on the field, a little worse in the stands, and the fans on both team lit the place the gently caress up.

Well, first there's the tailgate parties. Because it's surrounded by a colossal parking lot, people go, bring picnic stuff, BBQ grills, drink and putz around for a few hours before the game begins. A number of local radio stations and other companies have sponsored parties in the lot too which are pretty fun, especially when they have other football games going ahead of the one there that day. That day, Charger and Seahawks fans alike were cheering for the Patriots to faceplant. Anyways, it's a really good idea to get some food, either your own or go to one of the radio show parties ahead of the game because the poo poo they serve in the stadium is not worth it. So, once they open the gates, you go into a complex of concrete and feel like you're in prison waiting to go take a shower. Slowly, slowly you have to navigate the crowd to find your particular section. It's hot, stuffy, and very unpleasant. Then you get to your seat. Bring sunscreen. Then be prepared for the other team's sections to be uncomfortably loud. San Diego's a military town, so there's a huge number of transplants from across the country, and that includes fans of all teams. Last year, most games had the away crowds actually louder than the home crowds. Then again, the Chargers were complete rear end last season. But in early 2014, when the Seahawks failed to make first down on the last real play of the game deep in their own territory, Qualcomm erupted like a volcano and we got to watch thousands of Seahawks fans stream out of the stadium, leaving not quite a third of the stadium empty as the Chargers ended the game victorious.

It was built in the 1960s and originally called the Jack Murphy Stadium after some local radio personality, I think. I really don't know anything about the guy, and from what I do understand it's not a very interesting story regardless. Now it's named after a soulless megacorporation who threw money to have their stupid name splayed on it. It's also got the smallest jumbotron in the league. It hasn't seen significant renovation in the last 20 years, and the last time it hosted a superbowl was 2003. What makes it unique has nothing to do with the stadium, just that a lot of NFL owners like coming to San Diego.

It cost less than $30m to build, I think. Also, Jerry Jones tried to buy the Chargers when they were for sale in the 80s but couldn't for reasons, but a few years later bought the Dallas Cowboys.

Towards the bottom. It's not spewing poo poo at you, but the stadium itself has no soul. It's in disrepair and the team is actively trying to get a new one built.

CenturyLink Stadium in Seattle, but only if you're a Seahawks fan.

Well, the Oakland Colosseum is possessed by poo poo demons, so that's my vote.

aperion fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 6, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

It's also not even a stadium! It's a drat playground!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I went to Georgia/Mizzou the first year Mizzou was in the SEC and Mizzou's stadium is terrible. The jumbotron is tiny and it feels like a slightly bigger high school stadium.

Sanford Stadium itself would be incredibly bland if it wasn't for the hedges and the bulldog hood-ornament statue by one of the end zones.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Coldforge posted:

Levi's Stadium was designed for San Francisco, a city with gorgeous hills, an eclectic & attractive city-scape, and cool, breezy weather (with frequent fog). Unfortunately they plopped it down - with no changes - at the north end of Santa Clara, a warm-to-hot city without much wind, and too far from any of the area's numerous visual wonders to offer a picturesque view.

And so: It's hot, there's no shade anywhere, and there's a nasty reflected-light glare off the tower of suites; which I guess is fine, because there's nothing to look at anyway. They also can't get the turf to last more than half a game. At least the structure looks nice and has good views of the field, and works great for night time events like concerts and monster truck rallies.

That looks like a glorified high school football field.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Lincoln Financial Field, where the Eagles play, is utter garbage. It has fine amenities and is a decent place to see a concert (probably?), but as a team's home stadium, it sucks and is no good at all. It's designed well and performs its function - a place to corral a bunch of aggressive and/or drunk people who spent a lot of money to look at things and yell at strangers - but is utterly uninspiring beyond that. It has no personality, no warmth, no charm. It's plain. Forgettable. Cold. If you were going to be charitable, you'd call it "efficient."

I've found that the stadium is most enjoyable from outside - in particular, from I-95. When empty, you can see how the seats are colored to make a giant Eagles logo on the upper deck. The side facing the highway has some cool banners sometimes, and always has a slowly-pulsing light show that forms an Eagle in negative space. It really is kinda nice to drive by at night. But none of that can be appreciated while you're in the drat thing.

I suppose it could just be an unlucky coincidence of time and place; it's neighbors with Citizen's Bank Park, which is loving phenomenal and gorgeous and I want to marry it, and opened the following year. They would always be linked in fans' minds, but there's no comparison. There's a chance that in a different context, the Linc wouldn't seem like the perfect location for some dystopian near-future movie in which emotion has been outlawed. But we aren't in that universe; we're in this one. And here, the Linc is trash for idiots and I hate going there.

indigi fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 6, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

What is it with baseball stadiums always being better than their respective city's football stadium?

Look at Pittsburgh. Heinz Field vs That loving View From PNC Park.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Heinz and PNC are literally next to each other too. If Heinz had been built first, it would have ended up with that view. They were, more or less, built right on Three Rivers parking lots, on either side of the old stadium. Apparently going a quarter mile to the right really changes the view.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Baseball parks need nice views because the alternative is watching baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Waldo Stadium, home of the WMU Broncos

WMU is not one of the major players in the NCAAF landscape, unfortunately, and the stadium size reflects that, though it is one of the larger stadiums in the MAC, with a capacity of just north of 30k.

First game was against William and Mary my freshman year. Beat em, was great, but they were a cupcake game, so my expectations were tempered appropriately. First real game was against University of Virginia, who embarrassed us. Was pretty cool seeing a BCS (now Power 5) school come to Waldo, though

Real hit or miss. Early season games are pretty rad if the team is clicking and the weather's good, but later the MAC does Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday night games, and if the weather is cold or lovely (which is a distinct probability in November), the stadium is not full, to be diplomatic about it.

Mostly the name. Literally every fanbase from a major school who travels to us will trot out the old "where's waldo lol" canard.

Not really. Is located pretty close to an old mental asylum, though! Was the site of a major rally/protest when the President ame into town to give an address, though

Probably pretty low. I love it for homer-y/alumni reasons, but I recognize that it's probably not, nor ever likely to be, a major football destination.

Don't know. This is a pretty tough question, because so many places are just different, plus experience as a visiting fan makes impartially judging the atmosphere tough

Either Eastern Michigan University or Idaho Vandals Kibbie Dome. EMU has a grey field, they call it "The Factory" (which I cannot help but borrow Cleveland's Factory of Sadness monikor for, especially considering their perpetually miserable on-field product), and they like to wear grey, white, or black uniforms while playing on it. Watching replays on tv makes it look like your color suddenly went out. The Kibbie dome looks like a trumped up high school gymnasium, complete with expanding bleacher seating. Plus, there's either a weird effect from their field, media feeds, or just the strange diffusion of light from their gym windows, but every time I see video from there, it looks like it was run through a 1970s effects filter, all soft and kind of fuzzy around the edges. Really drat weird

• Locked thread