Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I can't believe getting all the astral shard doesn't net you that last item. This is some banjo kazooie ice key nonsense. \

Hmm, are there private detectives but for videogames? This seems like a niche that needs to be filled.

edit: so the only faq on gamefaqs says it is the circlet of gold and you need 30 astral pieces to get it. Which you got, weird. Maybe it is a new game plus thing?

coleman francis fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

coleman francis posted:

I can't believe getting all the astral shard doesn't net you that last item. This is some banjo kazooie ice key nonsense. \

Hmm, are there private detectives but for videogames? This seems like a niche that needs to be filled.

edit: so the only faq on gamefaqs says it is the circlet of gold and you need 30 astral pieces to get it. Which you got, weird. Maybe it is a new game plus thing?
So the thing is that I've played through a new game+ to get another item, and while the previous special item does stay with you, I'm not sure if getting another 30 astral pieces will net you that final DNA looking item. Or in fact if that even is an item...I mean it'd be strange if you'd have to get every item in the cabinet before that final one unlocked? But I feel doubtful that I'm bored enough to play through this game another two times to find out.

Or maybe you need to just come back every so often, and I messed it up cause I just turned everything in at once?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Woosh, and just like that the game is over in a tremendous fashion. But there were a few additional things that I wasn't able to show off in the normal play through:

Let's Play Echo Night 2- Here's some additional stuff....

Hopefully you all had fun on this ghostly ride through another fine From Software title. I do apologize that I ended up missing two of the endings but if you want to see them then they are included in this long play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_I39eGjdw. I just really didn't relish spending another six hours to get 3 minutes of footage.

edit: Finally I want to ask those that watch the Bonus 2 video, how does the video sound? Basically I've been trying to figure out ways to run a fan in the background so I don't die from the heat and that Bonus video was my first real attempt to noise reduce the fan without murdering my commentary. So how does it sound?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 1, 2016

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
It miiight be my imagination/crummy speakers, but something about the compression on the commentary in the second bonus video seems a little less crisp, like the hard consanants are fuzzed out just a tiny bit. That's about it though.

Gregory Horror Show is a game I missed and it looks fantastic. I love hotels as horror settings and I can't wait to see where it goes!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
It kinda seems like Richard didn't actually do anything within the main plot of the game, it just happens to work out in his favor by sheer coincidence if he helps out all the ghosts with their unrelated problems. Maybe I missed something. I'd fully agree that the sequel was a bit weaker than the original, but still an interesting curiosity. I really enjoyed this series and I'd be thrilled to see Gregory Horror Show next if that's the way you're gonna go.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Fiendly posted:

It kinda seems like Richard didn't actually do anything within the main plot of the game, it just happens to work out in his favor by sheer coincidence if he helps out all the ghosts with their unrelated problems. Maybe I missed something. I'd fully agree that the sequel was a bit weaker than the original, but still an interesting curiosity. I really enjoyed this series and I'd be thrilled to see Gregory Horror Show next if that's the way you're gonna go.
Yeah, I feel like in this game Richard's role became something more akin to Harry Mason in Silent Hill. Granted he had a motivation to be in the location, but really he was just a background witness to some greater story rather than in the first story where Richard was a more focal point to everything. Even in the ending the game kinda throws the player a curve ball by making them think that the Soulstone could maybe control the player or be their evil tool...but nope, it's all about the red headed lady and Richard is just caught up in Albert's soap opera.

Not a bad story in the least, but you definitely do bring up a good point as to why it's not as strong or maybe the player doesn't feel as involved.

Molly Millions posted:

It miiight be my imagination/crummy speakers, but something about the compression on the commentary in the second bonus video seems a little less crisp, like the hard consanants are fuzzed out just a tiny bit. That's about it though.

Gregory Horror Show is a game I missed and it looks fantastic. I love hotels as horror settings and I can't wait to see where it goes!
So would you say it's annoying in any fashion or just a little bit less good than normal? I just want to make sure it doesn't sound like hot dookie.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks for the LP. One thing though, how do you get the "Ominous" ending?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Thanks for the LP! I would've never heard of this strange little gem otherwise. FromSoft has quite the portfolio.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks for the LP. One thing though, how do you get the "Ominous" ending?
I'm going to try to get it if I can, but apparently you have to get a certain amount of astral pieces (so as to not trigger the super bad ending) but upon going to the clock tower...I guess waste a bunch of time? The info I've gotten is fairly vague on it and it seems to involve loving about long enough for Christine and Rebecca to die.

RedTonic posted:

Thanks for the LP! I would've never heard of this strange little gem otherwise. FromSoft has quite the portfolio.
Good to hear you enjoyed it, but really I have to give mad props to the translators and the tech dude (Gemini) who hacked all the scripts in to the final product.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
That sounds like quite the undertaking, so yeah, definitely credit where credit is due. Fan translators are awesome, especially those with the dedication and technical expertise to essentially localize the software. I caught wind of this LP through your YT channel, so I haven't read much into the thread. You've done a few of these fan translated games now, though, right? That means you're getting them out to a wider audience, which I think is pretty commendable in itself, too.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

Niggurath posted:

So would you say it's annoying in any fashion or just a little bit less good than normal? I just want to make sure it doesn't sound like hot dookie.

Oh no it sounds fine, I was really trying to listen for a difference and that's all I noticed. Not a big deal at all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Niggurath posted:

I'm going to try to get it if I can, but apparently you have to get a certain amount of astral pieces (so as to not trigger the super bad ending) but upon going to the clock tower...I guess waste a bunch of time? The info I've gotten is fairly vague on it and it seems to involve loving about long enough for Christine and Rebecca to die.

I wasn't expecting you to play this game again to figure it out, but thanks. Also, Rebecca?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wasn't expecting you to play this game again to figure it out, but thanks. Also, Rebecca?
Err, brain fart on my end. Rebecca is Christine's real name ; but then there was a blimp accident, amnesia and all that jazz (see this: ).
The girl in the glass coffin/the other twin is named Jessica.

Molly Millions posted:

Oh no it sounds fine, I was really trying to listen for a difference and that's all I noticed. Not a big deal at all.
That's really good to hear cause you can't begin to imagine how sitting in a stuffy 95 degree room for an hour will kill your brain, especially when you're trying to ad-lib commentary.

RedTonic posted:

That sounds like quite the undertaking, so yeah, definitely credit where credit is due. Fan translators are awesome, especially those with the dedication and technical expertise to essentially localize the software. I caught wind of this LP through your YT channel, so I haven't read much into the thread. You've done a few of these fan translated games now, though, right? That means you're getting them out to a wider audience, which I think is pretty commendable in itself, too.
Well Nanashi no Game was fan translated, then I worked with a translator to get the sequel to that done and it got hacked into being usable by the public, and this would be the third game. I actually just learned recently that the guy who did the hackery on this is also working on getting the English translation into another odd PS1 gem called Mizzurna Falls: http://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/post/144891494447/wanna-play-mizzurna-falls-in-english

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Kind of an old topic, and I know that we've moved on to stranger times with Gregory Horror Show, but I had a question.

In that one area there was a mummified woman in another crystal prison. Does anything happen if you try to free her?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zushio posted:

Kind of an old topic, and I know that we've moved on to stranger times with Gregory Horror Show, but I had a question.

In that one area there was a mummified woman in another crystal prison. Does anything happen if you try to free her?
Ain't no harm in asking, but as far as I know there's no way to turn the lower area of the Tower of Grief back around so that you can return to that area. Also I get the feeling even if you did she'd be deader than a door nail still. I do get the feeling though that's the Red Headed Lady's sister.

Also though I never showed it off, you can give the flower you get from Albert's grandmother to Albert but it only gives like an extra sentence saying "Well it's too late for this to matter now" and he chucks it away then brandishes his sword at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Niggurath posted:

Ain't no harm in asking, but as far as I know there's no way to turn the lower area of the Tower of Grief back around so that you can return to that area. Also I get the feeling even if you did she'd be deader than a door nail still. I do get the feeling though that's the Red Headed Lady's sister.

Also though I never showed it off, you can give the flower you get from Albert's grandmother to Albert but it only gives like an extra sentence saying "Well it's too late for this to matter now" and he chucks it away then brandishes his sword at you.

Thanks! I had forgotten about the whole rotating thing to be honest. I had assumed she was dead, but thought maybe The Red Haired Lady would have something to say.

• Locked thread