Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

A missing girlfriend and a mysterious, secluded mansion set the stage for a brand new tale of the supernatural; welcome to the sequel to Echo Night, Echo Night: Lord of Nightmares. Released just a short year after the first game, Echo Night: LoN manages to keep the core game play and story mechanics while making fairly large leaps in the graphic and voice acting department with one caveat. It seems the original Echo Night was not really a commercial hit and so the second Echo Night was limited to a Japanese only release, and was pretty much inaccessible to English speaking audiences. That is up until about a year ago when fan translation became accessible and it happened to work out that I just finished up an LP of the first game. So it only makes sense to delve back into the ghostly world of Echo Night and see what this follow up has to offer.

Memo:
Update 1: Christina Collins, Kent Palmer, Red Headed Woman, Brian Knode, The Woman in the Coffin, Elliot Clancy
Update 2: Rebecca Morgan, Robert Morgan, Helena Morgan, Steven Murdoch, Mark Bizel, Norma Bliss
Update 3: Karen Clancy, Carol Moore, Laura Swanson
Update 4: George Gibbs
Update 5: Joseph Hammond, Ken McDonnell, Michael Stewart, Illeana Majorelle, Bridget Majorelle, John Fisher, Franco Moss
Update 6: Franco Moss, Albert Clancy, George Gibbs, Red Headed Woman
Update 7: Billy Matthews, Stanley Osbourne, Annette Austin, Polly Hanks, Morris Brown, Helen Clancy
Update 8: Catherine Clancy, Margaret Rogers, Cynthia Hamilton, Larry Travis, Kurt Densham, Daniel Watkins, Marvin Hamilton, Anthony Rogers, Leon Clancy, Sarah Clancy, Patty Thompson
Update 9: Edgar Clancy, Albert Clancy, Jessica Clancy, Carol Moore, Joseph Hammond

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Memo:
Update1: Christina Collins, Kent Palmer, Red Headed Woman, Brian Knode, The Woman in the Coffin, Elliot Clancy
Update2: Rebecca Morgan, Robert Morgan, Helena Morgan, Steven Murdoch, Mark Bizel, Norma Bliss

I'm such a lazy bum that I was able to make another update before posting the thread. So have fun with a double dose of terror and menial tasks.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This is going to be interesting. I'm surprised that they used the same character from the first game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

This is going to be interesting. I'm surprised that they used the same character from the first game.
Hmmm, actually in retrospect I think this might be something more akin to 'Laura' in Kenji Eno's games. Because while this character has the same name and the same hosed fate in life, the first game (set in 1937) has Richard being 25 years old and this game (set in 1949) has Richard as being....25 years old. It's a bit strange that they'd keep the same age, same character name, and just have it be two totally different characters but I think maybe he's more like Laura or he just inherits the 'Richard Osmond' heroic moniker like Link.

And this holds especially true for something involving Echo Night: Beyond but I don't want to spoil it.

And finally, man, this game pretty much opens up super early with someone get shot in the face and another dude getting his neck snapped. They turned the violence up a tad since the first game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You know, I'm a little bit sad they didn't go with a really odd setting like the cruise ship last time.

Mansions are a bit, yanno, tried and tested in horror games; there's uhh, Amnesia and Resident Evil?

why not a horror game in a public library or a mall?

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Niggurath posted:

Hmmm, actually in retrospect I think this might be something more akin to 'Laura' in Kenji Eno's games. Because while this character has the same name and the same hosed fate in life, the first game (set in 1937) has Richard being 25 years old and this game (set in 1949) has Richard as being....25 years old. It's a bit strange that they'd keep the same age, same character name, and just have it be two totally different characters but I think maybe he's more like Laura or he just inherits the 'Richard Osmond' heroic moniker like Link.

And this holds especially true for something involving Echo Night: Beyond but I don't want to spoil it.

And finally, man, this game pretty much opens up super early with someone get shot in the face and another dude getting his neck snapped. They turned the violence up a tad since the first game.

I'm going to head cannon that he did something with certain red gems to gain immortality.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You know, I'm a little bit sad they didn't go with a really odd setting like the cruise ship last time.

Mansions are a bit, yanno, tried and tested in horror games; there's uhh, Amnesia and Resident Evil?

RE: Revelations takes place on 2 cruise ships.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Well good news cause we'll be getting some fairly odd locations coming up; it's not all in the mansion.

Also Dead Rising was in a mall and there was a really lovely on rail shooter that took place in a haunted library/museum....but man, it was bad.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Well good news cause we'll be getting some fairly odd locations coming up; it's not all in the mansion.

Also Dead Rising was in a mall and there was a really lovely on rail shooter that took place in a haunted library/museum....but man, it was bad.
What was that haunted Circus rail shooter called? drat, that game was baller, I remember trying to beat that in Spain in a cabinet.

Anyway, horror games need to mix it up. Where is my horror office building, with my photocopy monsters and uhhh, coffeebeast.

Or is that too true to real horror?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is it possible to have a bonus video showing the other songs on the jukebox?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

What was that haunted Circus rail shooter called? drat, that game was baller, I remember trying to beat that in Spain in a cabinet.

Anyway, horror games need to mix it up. Where is my horror office building, with my photocopy monsters and uhhh, coffeebeast.

Or is that too true to real horror?

Was it Carnevil?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is it possible to have a bonus video showing the other songs on the jukebox?
From Echo Night 1?

Also if someone knows music and wants a bonus video of something played on the ghost piano; just put up a picture showing me where to put the notes cause the ghost lady will keep playing it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

No, from update 2 of this game. You went to the jukebox and played the right classical song for the hint; there were other songs on it and I was wondering what those other songs are. Now that I think about it, do the other paintings of composers also name those songs?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, from update 2 of this game. You went to the jukebox and played the right classical song for the hint; there were other songs on it and I was wondering what those other songs are. Now that I think about it, do the other paintings of composers also name those songs?
Oh yeah, I can totally do that. Sorry, I thought you meant from the first game but I can definitely do that tonight. And yeah, the other two portraits have the names of the composers as well; I can snap a quick screenshot of those when I post that video. I will probably post all that tomorrow along with the next update. So hopefully everyone is looking forward to meeting the child murderer.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Caidin posted:

Was it Carnevil?
Yeahhh, that was the game! Man, I wonder if the arcades are still going strong in the Canaries. Haven't been in almost a decade.

YOTC posted:

RE: Revelations takes place on 2 cruise ships.
I can imagine cruises already being kinda horror-ful at least, considering the material conditions there, so that would work.

Then there was that game that was on a research vessel, Cold Fear? And then there's SOMA and Bioshock under the sea.

Haven't had many space horror games; not even the Alien versus Predator games went there. Haven't played Isolation yet, does it go into space?

I guess in Dead Space you did, at least in the first game?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

There's Cryostasis, which takes place on a stranded Russian Icebreaker. You also can't buy that game anymore, because the publisher decided not to renew the license or something.

I played Echo Night 2 last month, and it was alright, but definitely seems a bit weaker than the first game. The more standard setting might be partially to blame.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Sacrificial Toast posted:

There's Cryostasis, which takes place on a stranded Russian Icebreaker. You also can't buy that game anymore, because the publisher decided not to renew the license or something.

I played Echo Night 2 last month, and it was alright, but definitely seems a bit weaker than the first game. The more standard setting might be partially to blame.
Yeah, so far I can't say that Echo Night 2 ramps up too much in it's setting department compared to the haunted cruise liner stuck in time with it's castles and mines. But it does have at least a few unique settings and I think it improves on the puzzles from the first game, along with the graphics and the voice acting and stuff. Some of the changes though seem a tad bit tedious....like the distribution boards to control power in the different areas. But I still am finding it an enjoyable experience overall.

Now the question remains if I want to go through the effort of buying a legit PS2 and a copy of Echo Night Beyond to LP that after this is done.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Emulation of Beyond is actually possible if your computer is beefy enough. You've got to do software rendering to make it work.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Emulation of Beyond is actually possible if your computer is beefy enough. You've got to do software rendering to make it work.
Trust me, I've tried and tried...sadly even upgrading my computer recently didn't seem to help, but honestly PS2's aren't super expensive at this point. But hey look, an update!

Memo:
Karen Clancy, Carol Moore, Laura Swanson

Death by cuteness! The worst way to go.

Mraagvpeine posted:

And here you go, mi amigo.

Bonus 1: Classical Gas

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Thank you very much. I don't know if those songs were ones the makers of this game found and used or pieces made entirely for this game, but if it's the latter then kudos to them for the effort. I'll get to the update proper soon.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Ok, these vengeful spirits really need to smarten up and go after the people who killed them. They are given surpreme ghost powers and decide to use it on some poor passerby or someone trying to help them.

Basically what I am saying is give me money and I will open a trade school for newly dead haunts, poltergeists and spooks that will help them focus their boo powers on something constructive.

Richard Osmond did nothing wrong

*edit* surpreme means its even better than supreme ok

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

coleman francis posted:

Ok, these vengeful spirits really need to smarten up and go after the people who killed them. They are given surpreme ghost powers and decide to use it on some poor passerby or someone trying to help them.

Basically what I am saying is give me money and I will open a trade school for newly dead haunts, poltergeists and spooks that will help them focus their boo powers on something constructive.

Richard Osmond did nothing wrong

*edit* surpreme means its even better than supreme ok
Most of them seem kinda really dumb and have no idea they're dead.

I can't wait until we meet ever dumber ghosts. Like one guy waiting on a pizza or something.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Memo:
George Gibbs

The H is O...if you catch my drift.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Memo:
Joseph Hammond, Ken McDonnell, Michael Stewart, Illeana Majorelle, Bridget Majorelle, John Fisher, Franco Moss

We get a visit from an old friend....a stabby, soul stealing old friend.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I wonder how they got such smooth water out of the playstation. Usually you'd see the seams breaking between the textures.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

I wonder how they got such smooth water out of the playstation. Usually you'd see the seams breaking between the textures.
They used that old From Software witchcraft to get things to work. Also they probably realized people were going to end up seeing a water a lot in this game and figured they should do their best to make it look lovely. I'm honestly trying to remember though if we saw much water in the first game even though it was primarily on a boat.

Also I'm wondering if I should continue on with this From Software kick and do an LP of Shadow Tower Abyss next. I was thinking the King's Fields games overall but man, some of those games are super rough.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Niggurath posted:

They used that old From Software witchcraft to get things to work. Also they probably realized people were going to end up seeing a water a lot in this game and figured they should do their best to make it look lovely. I'm honestly trying to remember though if we saw much water in the first game even though it was primarily on a boat.

Also I'm wondering if I should continue on with this From Software kick and do an LP of Shadow Tower Abyss next. I was thinking the King's Fields games overall but man, some of those games are super rough.

King's Field 4 for the ps2 isn't so bad, it has aged pretty well, but yeah they may drag on a bit (although the graphics from King's Field 1 (NA King's Field 1)still make me smile at their Reboot level of simplicity whenever I see them)). I tried to start abyss but I guess I wasn't ready for it at that time. I started to play it and when I realized just how maze like the first area was I was like "nah, not right now" and never got back to it. It looked fantastic though and was surprised how well the gunplay worked and would like to see it through one day.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What about the first Shadow Tower game?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about the first Shadow Tower game?
That game is clunky as gently caress. Shadow Tower Abyss at least handles and looks better....the first game not so much.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
LP Distraint, because that game looked both baller and short so it should be an easy effort.

Or those precursors to Demons Souls I guess.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Memo:
Franco Moss, Albert Clancy, George Gibbs, Red Headed Woman

Ya know, The Tower of Grief isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
They were going to name it the Tower of Terror but realised they might get into trouble with disney.

So is Albert himself receiving the power from the soulstone or is it being sent to his GF? If Albert is getting the power does that neccessitate him having a twin or is the "half a soul" thing more of a portrait of dorian gray deal.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

They were going to name it the Tower of Terror but realised they might get into trouble with disney.

So is Albert himself receiving the power from the soulstone or is it being sent to his GF? If Albert is getting the power does that neccessitate him having a twin or is the "half a soul" thing more of a portrait of dorian gray deal.
I think the general plan was to first power up the dagger with souls which I assume he has done by now (i.e. why he doesn't really seem too concerned now with killing us to put into the dagger, or even George or Brian for that matter). Second he needed Christina for the whole twin portion of the plan....and now he's just waiting for one final piece to fall into place to finish the ritual. And it's something that was also brought up in the first Echo Night; something of a lunar spectacle if you will.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Memo:
Billy Matthews, Stanley Osbourne, Annette Austin, Polly Hanks, Morris Brown, Helen Clancy

It's time to do a whole lot of helping out to the undead.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Great post as always Niggurath, I really the atmosphere and graphics of this and the last game. It'll be a drat shame when you finish up this game, but hey that just means another and great lp from you.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Memo:
Update 8: Catherine Clancy, Margaret Rogers, Cynthia Hamilton, Larry Travis, Kurt Densham, Daniel Watkins, Marvin Hamilton, Anthony Rogers, Leon Clancy, Sarah Clancy, Patty Thompson

The case of the malicious maid and the perplexing pine cone.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Great post as always Niggurath, I really the atmosphere and graphics of this and the last game. It'll be a drat shame when you finish up this game, but hey that just means another and great lp from you.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
It was the kid under the desk and the kid in the locker that made me miss the good ending. I had run out of candles by the time I got to that room. Aw well.

I liked the poker puzzle, thought it was clever.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

It was the kid under the desk and the kid in the locker that made me miss the good ending. I had run out of candles by the time I got to that room. Aw well.

I liked the poker puzzle, thought it was clever.
Ya know it was always a bit strange to me in New Game+ that they do lay out quite a few additional items to find but on the whole they are usually candles or herb seeds. I guess they assume those two items would be something that the player could easily run out of? At least it seems to be the case for one of the items in your situation, coleman.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Man, this game is neat. I wish I had gotten. To play it back in its era, I'd have trouble sitting through it now with its odd puzzles and old graphics.

Though at the same time it has a particular charm to it...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

YOTC posted:

Man, this game is neat. I wish I had gotten. To play it back in its era, I'd have trouble sitting through it now with its odd puzzles and old graphics.

Though at the same time it has a particular charm to it...
It definitely does have a certain level of charm to it, especially in my book with the voice acting. Most games that I recall from the PS1 era that had voice acting was ummmmm fairly bad, but to play a story heavy game with quality voice acting was indeed a wonderfully novel idea. I will say though that I wish this game had a few more tricks to it's ghosts. Like I really enjoyed the initial usage of a ghost interacting with an object, such as the locked cabinet for the fish food, but then they used it like another five times or so. It just seems like for every new and interesting idea they introduced to game play they then overused it.

If anything, I'm just glad they limited time based puzzles to one optional puzzle in this game. I never think it's really a good idea to force a player to sit around idling waiting for time to pass in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Memo:
Edgar Clancy, Albert Clancy, Jessica Clancy, Carol Moore, Joseph Hammond

So in this, our penultimate update, we tie up a few loose ends, collect the last remaining souls, and steel ourselves for the final showdown with Albert Clancy.

Also if anyone is bored I might have an idea of what I could do next.

• Locked thread